BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

Over the last 23 games Rovers have earned 49 points, Shrewsbury 48 points, so very evenly matched. The difference being that we lost our first 2 games, and they won theirs.

This is the first game for a while where i'm worried about the opposition. Shrewsbury looked neat and tidy in the midfield when we played them away. Mowbray got the tactics completely wrong (he tried to play long ball to Graham). When we brough Chapman on and put some pressure on their defence, I think they looked a bit shakey at the back.

We've got to start on the front foot and get the first goal.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, AAK said:

There's literally no pubs if going from town centre to Ewood now is there mate? Infirmary and Aqueduct both gone, first one is fox and hounds, unless you go witton way I suppose that a nice little route. In the town centre they've a couple of them micro bars which are decent, but not much else. There's loads in Darwen, mate. When they do up the Northgate part of town, Blackburn will probably have a lot more bars.

Bolton Road way there isn't a single pub until you reach Ewood. With the Moorings, Infirmary and now Aqueduct all shutting. You have to wonder, especially with the Aqueduct, how much of it was down a decline in trade as the fan base went down. There's also the Ewood Arms which is now shut. That entire route has been shut down which makes a mockery of our "going down the Bolton road" song, really.

The town centre itself is picking up. The Blakey Moor development is going to help. The town centre has some nice pubs around the Town Hall, the Drummers Arms & Tiki Monkey are small but decent stop offs. It does need investment though as you are right, Darwen does outclass it.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Bolton Road way there isn't a single pub until you reach Ewood. With the Moorings, Infirmary and now Aqueduct all shutting. You have to wonder, especially with the Aqueduct, how much of it was down a decline in trade as the fan base went down. There's also the Ewood Arms which is now shut. That entire route has been shut down which makes a mockery of our "going down the Bolton road" song, really.

The town centre itself is picking up. The Blakey Moor development is going to help. The town centre has some nice pubs around the Town Hall, the Drummers Arms & Tiki Monkey are small but decent stop offs. It does need investment though as you are right, Darwen does outclass it.

Must be a mixture of things although Blackburn considering it was a brewery town and always thought of as one of the best nights out in Lancashire seems to have been hit far worse than a lot of other local places. A place like Leyland having more boozers at one point than a place like Blackburn ? Plus Darwen, Chorley etc - sumat isn't right, Blackburners have always been thirsty I don't think that's changed.

Going to Ewood  90/91 ish and gates of 6/7 thousand the Aqueduct, Ewood Arms or whatever it was then plus the usual Fox & Brown Cow always seemed busy enough. Sad now really.

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Must be a mixture of things although Blackburn considering it was a brewery town and always thought of as one of the best nights out in Lancashire seems to have been hit far worse than a lot of other local places. A place like Leyland having more boozers at one point than a place like Blackburn ? Plus Darwen, Chorley etc - sumat isn't right, Blackburners have always been thirsty I don't think that's changed.

Going to Ewood  90/91 ish and gates of 6/7 thousand the Aqueduct, Ewood Arms or whatever it was then plus the usual Fox & Brown Cow always seemed busy enough. Sad now really.

The demographics of the town has changed in so much that demand simply hasn't kept up. With ever rising prices (a pint of lager in the Beehive, Cherry Tree is £3.80!!!!!) and wages not rising with it has left areas like Blackburn flagging behind in terms of disposable income.

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The demographics of the town has changed in so much that demand simply hasn't kept up. With ever rising prices (a pint of lager in the Beehive, Cherry Tree is £3.80!!!!!) and wages not rising with it has left areas like Blackburn flagging behind in terms of disposable income.

That's true but Bolton & Preston are similar yet faring far better in the pubs stakes although obviously a bit bigger more central places I suppose.

Anyway the Shrews invasion will boost the local coffers a bit tomorrow B)

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's true but Bolton & Preston are similar yet faring far better in the pubs stakes although obviously a bit bigger more central places I suppose.

Anyway the Shrews invasion will boost the local coffers a bit tomorrow B)

All 800 of them. Big club. They have all us Blackburners concerned don't forget..............

Not so sure Bolton and Preston have avoided the collapse in pub numbers. Don't go to Bolton very often but go out of the 'city' centre in Preston and the number of pubs has dropped massively in recent years. It might not be as drastic as in Blackburn but not far off. Not much if anything left in areas such as New Hall Lane which used to be full.

The town centre there has managed to do ok because people still go in for a night out - the influence of UCLAN massive in that regard - thousands of students living in the centre - not to mention it has become something of a 'crossroads' for the county with the rail and bus networks, whereas unfortunately Blackburn has been left a bit out of the way with little reason to go into the centre once the shops close. Bolton perhaps between the two although they have some sort of university, however are within easy reach of Manchester so suspect most will head over there these days.

Apart from igan and Shrewsbury, every game to the end of the season are "We ought to win"

Wigan and Shrewsbury are "We ought to win if Mowbray sets us up right and we play to our what we are capable of."

Having said that. I keep getting premonitions of Coventry in 1967 and losing at home at Ewood condemning ourselves to 25 years in an even lower wilderness. 

Sick of this game being bigged up.. No disrespect but it's Shrewsbury yes Shrewsbury not man u dingles Liverpool but Shrewsbury we are the biggest club in the division its time to start showing it and giving someone a thrashing starting tomorrow 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Not so sure Bolton and Preston have avoided the collapse in pub numbers. Don't go to Bolton very often but go out of the 'city' centre in Preston and the number of pubs has dropped massively in recent years. It might not be as drastic as in Blackburn but not far off. Not much if anything left in areas such as New Hall Lane which used to be full.

The town centre there has managed to do ok because people still go in for a night out - the influence of UCLAN massive in that regard - thousands of students living in the centre - not to mention it has become something of a 'crossroads' for the county with the rail and bus networks, whereas unfortunately Blackburn has been left a bit out of the way with little reason to go into the centre once the shops close. Bolton perhaps between the two although they have some sort of university, however are within easy reach of Manchester so suspect most will head over there these days.

To be fair, the number of pubs/bars in Whalley has increased and Clitheroe has a fair number.  Just a shift in the well publicised demographic of 90s drinkers.  

33 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Sick of this game being bigged up.. No disrespect but it's Shrewsbury yes Shrewsbury not man u dingles Liverpool but Shrewsbury we are the biggest club in the division its time to start showing it and giving someone a thrashing starting tomorrow 

No pressure then :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

I'm with Athlete on this one. I know we have fallen a long way, and Shrewsbury are on something of a roll, but FFS! Shrewsbury.... It is about time that this team showed its teeth, and gave a fellow promotion aspiring team a kicking. Not saying it will be tomorrow, but my goodness it would be good to feel the accelerator pushed full to the floor for once! 

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

I'm with Athlete on this one. I know we have fallen a long way, and Shrewsbury are on something of a roll, but FFS! Shrewsbury.... It is about time that this team showed its teeth, and gave a fellow promotion aspiring team a kicking. Not saying it will be tomorrow, but my goodness it would be good to feel the accelerator pushed full to the floor for once! 

Completely agree - are we at that level now where we are worrying about teams like this lot?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Completely agree - are we at that level now where we are worrying about teams like this lot?

pre season favourites, spent more than anyone, biggest wage bill....they have done well but we should be winning this at a canter.

1 minute ago, Husky said:

If we don't win this, it's safe to say we'll be looking to consolidate in the play-offs and take our chances come May.

Who knows... I expect us to to tonk them, but still a hell of a lot of games to play yet.

1 minute ago, Husky said:

If we don't win this, it's safe to say we'll be looking to consolidate in the play-offs and take our chances come May.

Disagree. Get beat and you may well have a point. Even then though, 20 games to go after tomorrow. 

I'm with WIR, time to show our teeth and put a marker down. We're third and if we're honest have yet to play well for a full 90 minutes.

Archived