BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

Just now, Tom said:

Not sure about our penalty, more of a penalty than theirs but really probably neither were. Seems petty to mention the free kick for the first, if anything the only debate was yellow or red, I think Samuel was clever with it but obviously a foul.

The free kick is also mentioned on the Shrewsbury forum regarding it being taken not from where the foul happened, must admit never noticed when watching it live on ifollow.

P.s anybody off here winding them up on their forum?

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Ho hum no big deal then, why do I feel had.we.lost.the 3 points would have been massive, apocalyptic like.

No 3 points is good. In this division this lacklustre bunch shouldn't be down here so let's not forget that either. They're doing the job they should have done last year ahead of Burton Albion so whilst delighted with 3 points they've set this precedent and I expect promotion before the banner goes up. We've won sod all atm so as I said we move on to the next game

Just now, USABlue said:

Rev, what did you make of him, waste of space, worst player on the pitch?  Commentators thought he suited his role today.  What'd you think.

See my earlier reply above. He might suit playing in the centre much more than out wide if he can perform medium to long term a lot more consistently than he has done since he's been at the Club.

If he can happy days.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Now that was our Rovers. Pace, energy, hunger, desire, quality.

Won the midfield battle and so the game: a massive six pointer at that.

For the first time this season, I think we can now do it. Still not in our hands but if we can get through this window unscathed and keep people fit then it would be pretty embarrassing not to go up automatically.

Some great performances from our lads. Bennett in particular was at his swashbuckling best in the middle today. Armstrong’s pace is frightening. Dack was quieter than usual until the last 15 minutes or so - possible when Armstrong came on and forced Shrewsbury a bit deeper. Ryan Nyambe: “take a boo son” - really growing into the team with a fabulous performance today. Braveheart the Second, Mulgrew, is so consistent but the MoM selector is just so lazy and simply seems to pick the player who scores the most goals. Danny Graham worked his socks off and is head and shoulders about anyone in this league when he is in the mood.

On another note, the referee was Kettle-esque in his awfulness. Gave two penalties, neither of which was and countless other poor decisions.

More of this kind of football please Tony!

On Rovers on!

50 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

What a bloody good game !

First time for a while I have walked away from Ewood with a real buzz. First time for a while we have had a decent crowd and risen to the occasion.

At one time was really scared that the referee would give Shrewsbury the points - it seemed unbelievably poor that Rovers players seemed to influence him giving us a penalty when they pointed out the obvious fact he had given a penalty to them for exactly the same infringement (personally wouldn't have given either - though wait to see the replays). 

Worst ref I've seen in my life time .

Without going over what everyone else said I'm going to say with a smile on my face as I type that I'm proud of the lads tonight. All those cold and soulless nights are made worthwhile when I see a performance like that. I screamed, I was angry, I was overjoyed, nervous and in the end extremely proud of a bunch of lads that fought for the blue and white halves. Bennett and Smallwood have to play together every week and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Armstrong. 

Someone offer nyambe a ten year contract and knight Charlie mulgrew. I'm off to celebrate :rover:

Stonking performance, especially  2nd half!!

I thought Bennett was absolutely superb. He was doing the work of two men (as he always does) and along with Smallwood dominated midfield. As others have said, this is where we won the game.

Dack ran his socks off too and without hitting his usual heights was still a class above this league. Graham was also excellent, his work arte was phenomenal and I'm not sure anyone else would have been in the right place to snaffle up our 2nd. Proper striker.

Mulgrew was immense and that was up there with his best game in a Rovers shirt. Won everything at the back, organised the defence and his free-kick was simply brilliant.

Special mention again for Nyambe. I thought 2nd half he was outstanding, both defensively and going forward. His Zidane turn was sublime. I think he dedicated it to Al and DunnFC.

Our extra quality told today.

Good turnout from their fans and a good atmosphere. The ref helped, what a clown!

Brilliant win!!

What a great afternoon! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Am gonna really enjoy that first pint tonight. 

Bennett & Smallwood have to play together in the middle every week.

Brilliant, just brilliant!

Anyone else notice the pitch appears to have been made narrower? Looked like the touchline at the riverside had been moved in by about a foot.  I assume the same on the other side. Thought it had to be kept the same all season? 

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Stonking performance, especially  2nd half!!

I thought Bennett was absolutely superb. He was doing the work of two men (as he always does) and along with Smallwood dominated midfield. As others have said, this is where we won the game.

Dack ran his socks off too and without hitting his usual heights was still a class above this league. Graham was also excellent, his work arte was phenomenal and I'm not sure anyone else would have been in the right place to snaffle up our 2nd. Proper striker.

Mulgrew was immense and that was up there with his best game in a Rovers shirt. Won everything at the back, organised the defence and his free-kick was simply brilliant.

Special mention again for Nyambe. I thought 2nd half he was outstanding, both defensively and going forward. His Zidane turn was sublime. I think he dedicated it to Al and DunnFC.

Our extra quality told today.

Good turnout from their fans and a good atmosphere. The ref helped, what a clown!

Brilliant win!!

It'd be a first but glad he upped his game in my eyes hes20 + games to add quality and consistency to his game or he best be gone. If you fail continually you need to go.

Maybe I expect more than the norm

Fantastic- reminded me of on those performances under Hughes, when we kicked lumps off Arsenal, and then beat them with class.

Shrewsbury were no Arsenal of old though- they’re only there because they’re a big, physical side, and normally do the basics very well. 

An excellent all round performance. The one downside- the truly abysmal refereeing. Their penalty wasn’t one, and he gave it. Ours was, and he wasn’t going to give it, until all hell broke lose in Blackburn End, and he or the linesman changed their minds. The way he shook his head, before pointing the spot 20 seconds later was unbelievable. 

Overall, that was a big win, so much so it reminds me of the Bolton away win, when Souness took us up, in 2001. Like then, today’s result gives us a big mental advantage. 

All these memories of good are flooding back, so much so I’ve just booked Plymouth away tickets. Happy Saturday folks! 

Archived