BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

31 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Stonking performance, especially  2nd half!!

I thought Bennett was absolutely superb. He was doing the work of two men (as he always does) and along with Smallwood dominated midfield. As others have said, this is where we won the game.

Dack ran his socks off too and without hitting his usual heights was still a class above this league. Graham was also excellent, his work arte was phenomenal and I'm not sure anyone else would have been in the right place to snaffle up our 2nd. Proper striker.

Mulgrew was immense and that was up there with his best game in a Rovers shirt. Won everything at the back, organised the defence and his free-kick was simply brilliant.

Special mention again for Nyambe. I thought 2nd half he was outstanding, both defensively and going forward. His Zidane turn was sublime. I think he dedicated it to Al and DunnFC.

Our extra quality told today.

Good turnout from their fans and a good atmosphere. The ref helped, what a clown!

Brilliant win!!

Surely JAL, not Al?

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12 January 2018 at 14:43, JHRover said:

Not so sure Bolton and Preston have avoided the collapse in pub numbers. Don't go to Bolton very often but go out of the 'city' centre in Preston and the number of pubs has dropped massively in recent years. It might not be as drastic as in Blackburn but not far off. Not much if anything left in areas such as New Hall Lane which used to be full.

The town centre there has managed to do ok because people still go in for a night out - the influence of UCLAN massive in that regard - thousands of students living in the centre - not to mention it has become something of a 'crossroads' for the county with the rail and bus networks, whereas unfortunately Blackburn has been left a bit out of the way with little reason to go into the centre once the shops close. Bolton perhaps between the two although they have some sort of university, however are within easy reach of Manchester so suspect most will head over there these days.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/blackburn.html

Brilliant performance and thoroughly enjoyable game that was made more nerve racking with one of THE WORST referees I’ve ever seen.

Every player played their part.

Smallwood and Dack becoming the new Savage and Tugay!

Sir Charles of Mulgrewshire was immense again.

MOTM was probably Bennett who kept Nolan quiet, who had bossed this league to date. Bet their midfield can feel they’ve been in a hard game, we brought them down a peg or two.

Loved the keeper getting rattled!

That guy at the back for them was a total donkey, how have they not conceded more??

1 minute ago, OJRovers said:

Brilliant performance and thoroughly enjoyable game that was made more nerve racking with one of THE WORST referees I’ve ever seen.

Every player played their part.

Smallwood and Dack becoming the new Savage and Tugay!

Sir Charles of Mulgrewshire was immense again.

MOTM was probably Bennett who kept Nolan quiet, who had bossed this league to date. Bet their midfield can feel they’ve been in a hard game, we brought them down a peg or two.

Loved the keeper getting rattled!

That guy at the back for them was a total donkey, how have they not conceded more??

I sense that lots of sides sit 11 men behind the ball against them. I’ll bet we were the first side to ‘take it ‘em’ for the first time, in a long time. Hopefully more will having seen that. 

Just now, perthblue02 said:

21 If i recall rightly

Edit 23 League games from 30th Sept until 4th of March 87/88

https://www.11v11.com/teams/blackburn-rovers/tab/matches/season/1988/

Cheers. I was getting really worked up about us beating Howard Kendal's consecutive winning streak of 8 earlier in the season and that didnt quite happen so not going to worry too much about this one.

If it happens it happens.  (Although there's really no reason why it shouldn't and it'd be nice for TM so bugger it I'm getting worked up about it again now! :))

On the train back to London right now after my first Rovers game.

Are all the games this entertaining? Good value.

Generally I thought some of the passing was very poor at times, especially from Shrewsbury.

And the referee was a disaster!

Bennett seems to be more suited to play in the role that he did today than on the wing. He is a workhorse and likes to tackle. More useful for us in that position.

Nyambe had a decent game as well, just need to get better on his passing game and decision making. Had an important block in the second half.

Overall I enjoyed it, good atmosphere and a good game. Hopefully I will come back some day, and hopefully then we will be in a higher division.

For those who are critical of the referee.  Suggest you have a listen to Darren Fergusons rant after today's game.  He told it like it is but it is going to cost him both money (a lot) and probably a lengthy ban, but he was 100% correct.  Well worth a quick search and listen.

3 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

For those who are critical of the referee.  Suggest you have a listen to Darren Fergusons rant after today's game.  He told it like it is but it is going to cost him both money (a lot) and probably a lengthy ban, but he was 100% correct.  Well worth a quick search and listen.

and his gun license , just in case :)

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

So you expect us to win all 23 home games - entirely unrealistic. Football doesn't work like that, and you're going to be disappointed alot. Even the best teams teams have off days. I must say you do have a very entitled view, the sort that fans of other clubs would say is arrogance. Fact is we're in this league for a reason - we have no right to win any games, home or away. 

I don't feel entitled. I didn't say I demand to win every game or that expect us to. I said every time we don't win we should be disappointed and should be setting out to win every game. 

I know why we're in this league but we should be aiming to keep the stay as limited as possible - by getting automatic promotion - and whatever way you look at it the usual way of doing that is by having very strong home form.

7 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Put the link on 4000 holes

The bottle throwing incident was a bit surreal. The keeper booted the ball out of play and also nearly booted DG as the ball bounced out the net following the penalty. He then got a lot of verbals and v's from behind the goal and seemed to kick something angrily into the goal and started giving verbals back at the crowd.This led to one idiot lobbing something (bottle) onto the pitch at him. The keeper then returned it randomly back into the crowd with far more venom. This angered the fans more who lobbed some more stuff at him. Instead of just walking away, the keeper venomously these back into the crown as well. 

Thery were idiots in the first place to chuck anything on the pitch but the keeper had seriously lost it and you can't start throwing objects back into the crowd at speed when that area is generally populated with kids.

6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The bottle throwing incident was a bit surreal. The keeper booted the ball out of play and also nearly booted DG as the ball bounced out the net following the penalty. He then got a lot of verbals and v's from behind the goal and seemed to kick something angrily into the goal and started giving verbals back at the crowd.This led to one idiot lobbing something (bottle) onto the pitch at him. The keeper then returned it randomly back into the crowd with far more venom. This angered the fans more who lobbed some more stuff at him. Instead of just walking away, the keeper venomously these back into the crown as well. 

Thery were idiots in the first place to chuck anything on the pitch but the keeper had seriously lost it and you can't start throwing objects back into the crowd at speed when that area is generally populated with kids.

There are precedents for players throwing/kicking items back at the crowd. It was just another error to add to the referees charge sheet.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/2229335/carragher-apologises-for-coin-hurl

And Neville dismissed for kicking the ball at the crowd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/4473917.stm

great win and we deserved that win. every players worked hard and did everything as a fan you come expect from Players. 

Bennett and Smallword were outstanding and looked very good in Centre midfield. every player was a 8 of 10 today. 

Bennett was my MOTM TODAY. 

Samuel played well on the right wing. use his pace very well today/

Graham did what Graham can do, work hard, chase the ball down and score. 

I thought Shrewsbury's penalty wasn't a penalty and thought ours was soft. 

The referee today was clueless, useless and probably Ive seen all season 

But tonight is very happy for me and I cant wait to see some good highlights 

very proud to be Rovers fan tonight. 

lets keep this type of performance up for the rest of the season

Tony Mowbray's Blue and White Army!!!

Thought the referee was awful the refs at this level are unbelievable bad how he could give Shrewsbury's penalty from the position he was in is beyond me the assistant referee[linesman] had clear view and did not flag anyway a good win and 3 points Up the Rovers! 

47 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't feel entitled. I didn't say I demand to win every game or that expect us to. I said every time we don't win we should be disappointed and should be setting out to win every game. 

I know why we're in this league but we should be aiming to keep the stay as limited as possible - by getting automatic promotion - and whatever way you look at it the usual way of doing that is by having very strong home form.

I'm disappointed we don't win every week - home and away. But that doesn't mean I expect it to happen. Good home form is important but you don't get promoted by winning at home and losing away either. 

Great win today. The gap's down to 2 points but there's a long way to go and it could widen again. Even if it does, there'll be no reason to panic. Lots of twists and turns yet. 

6 hours ago, Preben said:

No.

I went to the Hull match. The atmosphere is dire, I'll be watching on ifollow as usual

Not good

but then I saw your next post, so a proper fan who has just missed a great day because a pointless cup tie had no atmosphere

Archived