BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

6 hours ago, AAK said:

What was with all the trouble after the game? Shrewsbury fans and their own media giving us a right bad name on twitter, advising other clubs fans not to go to Ewood and saying our fans are a disgrace and looking for fights????? Saw a bit a of a scrap outside Darwen End

We always leave the ground through the gate in the corner between JWL and the DE so the away ticket office and exits are to our left. We stayed, as always, to watch the last player go down the tunnel so we probably didn’t get out of the ground till 10-12 minutes after FT.

As we left the stewards warned us to be careful. To our right was a small line of stewards preventing some Rovers teenagers getting at the few Shrewsbury fans who were there. Keep in mind I had my lad with me when I say we just carried on with our usual walk to the car.

What I saw was nothing more than a group of ignorant foul mouthed teenagers who seem to think offering violence is clever. I’d wager 99% would have run if the Shrewsbury fans reacted. All mouth, no trousers, the sort who would be playground bullies. I saw a few of them take on the Wigan police - that was very funny.

It was nothing. I don’t know if anything happened in the ground. 

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

For those who are critical of the referee.  Suggest you have a listen to Darren Fergusons rant after today's game.  He told it like it is but it is going to cost him both money (a lot) and probably a lengthy ban, but he was 100% correct.  Well worth a quick search and listen.

Ferguson is right and no doubt it will cost him money.

For me the number one issue is linesmen. They are there to assist the referee which to my mind means watching for precisely the same offences as the referee. Frequently the linesman appears to be in a good position to give the offence or at least speak to the referee. Generally all the linesmen give these days are thrown-ins, often after the referee has already indicated which way, and offside.

If linesmen played an active role in the game offering at least advice, though decisions would be better, to the referee I think we’d see a big and immediate improvement. 

From our JWL seats it was difficult to tell if either incident was a penalty. My gut feeling in the game was their’s wasn’t and ours was. Now I’ve seen the replays, only on a phone, I think Raya got the ball fractionally before the Shrewsbury player and our penalty was at best 50/50 more a question of evening things up. 

The big error in the game I saw was the foul leading to Mulgrew’s freekick. This was almost in front of us. Samuel was running clear between the two defenders and would definitely have been clear on goal. The Shrewsbury defender, 6?, should have received a red. The linesman had a 100% clear view of this.

In that position I’d back a Mulgrew free kick against a Samuel one on one so it worked out well!!! ?

Well if they're second in the league, just goes to show how far an organised team can get in this poor division. Very little quality and bar their number 7, possibly none at all! 

For me our penalty was very soft, couldn't believe it when it was given, though after the stick he got for giving them a penalty (coupled with bottling the red card), it was inevitable we would get a decision.

Great performance from the players yesterday with Mowbray getting it spot on. Momentum is surely with us now and maybe a few seeds of doubt cast in the Shrewsbury players heads, being beaten in the manner that they did and us gaining ground on them.

• J*B unpinned this topic

Folks who said this was the season defining game got knocked but I think they were right. 

Not just for getting us back into a position which piles all the pressure onto Shrewsbury to win games but the surge of belief this has given players, management and fans.

Long time since I have read a unanimously positive post-match reaction like this thread.

• Backroom

What was with their keeper anyway? Even before the penalty it was said he was gesturing to our fans in the first half.

Bit of a Billy big bollocks due to his United contract? Still makes me laugh that he did. Joe Hart at the penalty trying to put Mulgrew off with the same outcome it always has with Hart - a goal! 

From behind the goal in the Blackburn end I was adamant that Raya pushed the ball wide for a corner before colliding with their player. On tv it looks a penalty. Guess we need the 6 camera angles from the Premier League.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Ferguson is right and no doubt it will cost him money.

For me the number one issue is linesmen. They are there to assist the referee which to my mind means watching for precisely the same offences as the referee. Frequently the linesman appears to be in a good position to give the offence or at least speak to the referee. Generally all the linesmen give these days are thrown-ins, often after the referee has already indicated which way, and offside.

If linesmen played an active role in the game offering at least advice, though decisions would be better, to the referee I think we’d see a big and immediate improvement. 

From our JWL seats it was difficult to tell if either incident was a penalty. My gut feeling in the game was their’s wasn’t and ours was. Now I’ve seen the replays, only on a phone, I think Raya got the ball fractionally before the Shrewsbury player and our penalty was at best 50/50 more a question of evening things up. 

The big error in the game I saw was the foul leading to Mulgrew’s freekick. This was almost in front of us. Samuel was running clear between the two defenders and would definitely have been clear on goal. The Shrewsbury defender, 6?, should have received a red. The linesman had a 100% clear view of this.

In that position I’d back a Mulgrew free kick against a Samuel one on one so it worked out well!!! ?

The linesman Paul will do exactly how's he's been instructed by the referee, each referee will have a different personality along with the assistants and with many mix and matches from game to game you'll see these indifferences between games.  These guys aren't full time at this level unfortunately which they should be though many will earn far more from their day jobs than they would by being a full time league one referee or assistant.

12 hours ago, arbitro said:

There are precedents for players throwing/kicking items back at the crowd. It was just another error to add to the referees charge sheet.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/2229335/carragher-apologises-for-coin-hurl

And Neville dismissed for kicking the ball at the crowd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/4473917.stm

I said at time their keeper should have been given a straight red when he threw the bottle back into the crowd with venom. Two wrongs do not make a right. Whilst not condoning for one second the actions of the fans, their keeper was a massive melt and had been antagonising the Rovers fans all game in both the Darwen and Blackburn ends. 

I am sure if Raya had acted like this the ref would have pulled out his red card immediately. The ref certainly seemed to favour Shrewsbury and reminded me very much of Trevor Kettle.

I can see why he didn’t give their 6 a straight red as Samuel seemed to get the ball stuck in his feet. However to not give a second yellow when Samuel skinned him down the right is inexcusable.

Also the ref couldn’t wait to give their penalty. Conversely he was not going to give ours but for the assistant intervening. 

I am also still at a loss as to what the ref saw as a foul for the disallowed goal?! Presume it was for a ‘push’ by Danny Graham but it looked really soft to me. I am surprised our players didn’t make more of an issue with it. 

Thankfully we won and I shouldn’t be writing too much about the ref; can’t help it though when I think he has really gone out of his way to try and screw us over.

Tremendous spirited performance. Bennett was outstanding; i was hoping Rev Blue was going to eat some humble pie but he was working! 

Credit to Dunn F.C. for the worst post match post ever for suggesting we sell Mulgrew in the summer if we get promoted?!!!

On a final note their seemed to be a load of trouble behind the Darwen End after the game. Saw it spilling over into the car park where the church used to be. Shrews fans were obviously upset they are about to lose their 2nd place ?. To be fair the Shrews fans who were in the black bull before hand were a good laugh.

4 minutes ago, JAL said:

The linesman Paul will do exactly how's he's been instructed by the referee, each referee will have a different personality along with the assistants and with many mix and matches from game to game you'll see these indifferences between games.  These guys aren't full time at this level unfortunately which they should be though many will earn far more from their day jobs than they would by being a full time league one referee or assistant.

the ref was a disgrace to the game

5 minutes ago, david brent said:

I said at time their keeper should have been given a straight red when he threw the bottle back into the crowd with venom. Two wrongs do not make a right. Whilst not condoning for one second the actions of the fans, their keeper was a massive melt and had been antagonising the Rovers fans all game in both the Darwen and Blackburn ends. 

I am sure if Raya had acted like this the ref would have pulled out his red card immediately. The ref certainly seemed to favour Shrewsbury and reminded me very much of Trevor Kettle.

I can see why he didn’t give their 6 a straight red as Samuel seemed to get the ball stuck in his feet. However to not give a second yellow when Samuel skinned him down the right is inexcusable.

Also the ref couldn’t wait to give their penalty. Conversely he was not going to give ours but for the assistant intervening. 

I am also still at a loss as to what the ref saw as a foul for the disallowed goal?! Presume it was for a ‘push’ by Danny Graham but it looked really soft to me. I am surprised our players didn’t make more of an issue with it. 

Thankfully we won and I shouldn’t be writing too much about the ref; can’t help it though when I think he has really gone out of his way to try and screw us over.

Tremendous spirited performance. Bennett was outstanding; i was hoping Rev Blue was going to eat some humble pie but he was working! 

Credit to Dunn F.C. for the worst post match post ever for suggesting we sell Mulgrew in the summer if we get promoted?!!!

On a final note their seemed to be a load of trouble behind the Darwen End after the game. Saw it spilling over into the car park where the church used to be. Shrews fans were obviously upset they are about to lose their 2nd place ?. To be fair the Shrews fans who were in the black bull before hand were a good laugh.

I wasn't there but others have said the goal was disallowed for offside?

Just now, david brent said:

I said at time their keeper should have been given a straight red when he threw the bottle back into the crowd with venom

Correct, and i just cant for the life of me see why as the Ref actually witnessed him do it  , even his fellow teammates had to intervene and warn him.

This is a professional goalkeeper who in my opinion acted unprofessionally, i witnessed all of it and once the plastic bottles turned in to coins he should have made the Ref aware of it not start throwing them back .

38 minutes ago, Hasta said:

From behind the goal in the Blackburn end I was adamant that Raya pushed the ball wide for a corner before colliding with their player. On tv it looks a penalty. Guess we need the 6 camera angles from the Premier League.

Completely agree. I was raging with the decision. It looked like Raya pushed the ball away and the ball had gone for throw in before the player collided with Raya. I was saying never has a penalty decision been so blatantly wrong then I watched the replay at home and I admit it does look like one on TV. If I never saw the replay I would have argued with anybody that it was never a penalty.

32 minutes ago, JAL said:

He had decent game against Scunthorpe certainly didn't do anything wrong then Mowbray dropped him for the following which I thought was odd.

You should have seen him against Hull!

1 hour ago, Tom said:

What was with their keeper anyway? Even before the penalty it was said he was gesturing to our fans in the first half.

Bit of a Billy big bollocks due to his United contract? Still makes me laugh that he did. Joe Hart at the penalty trying to put Mulgrew off with the same outcome it always has with Hart - a goal! 

If you watch back the Dack goal in the Shrewsbury away game earlier this season the keeper pushes Smallwood for no reason, should’ve been a booking. Seems a total prat. Perfect for Mourihno at United you could say.

Interesting that the Shrewsbury view seems that neither were penalties. However, you can only assume that both were given for the keeper bringing down a player.  In which case why was their keeper not yellow carded? The ref was truly appalling. As others have said, he should also have walked for his bottle throwing antics.  He had a serious cob on second half. 

As an aside, if anyone has any footage of the throwing incident... Get it online! FA would more than likely have to pull him up then. 

Just now, Ossydave said:

Pathetic on both parts to be fair 

True, but he's the paid professional. What you don't do as a paid professional is launch objects back into a crowd when the chances of hitting someone are very high. Especially when what he launches back looks like a coin. Absolute madness.

Archived