BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, david brent said:

I said at time their keeper should have been given a straight red when he threw the bottle back into the crowd with venom. Two wrongs do not make a right. Whilst not condoning for one second the actions of the fans, their keeper was a massive melt and had been antagonising the Rovers fans all game in both the Darwen and Blackburn ends. 

I am sure if Raya had acted like this the ref would have pulled out his red card immediately. The ref certainly seemed to favour Shrewsbury and reminded me very much of Trevor Kettle.

I can see why he didn’t give their 6 a straight red as Samuel seemed to get the ball stuck in his feet. However to not give a second yellow when Samuel skinned him down the right is inexcusable.

Also the ref couldn’t wait to give their penalty. Conversely he was not going to give ours but for the assistant intervening. 

I am also still at a loss as to what the ref saw as a foul for the disallowed goal?! Presume it was for a ‘push’ by Danny Graham but it looked really soft to me. I am surprised our players didn’t make more of an issue with it. 

Thankfully we won and I shouldn’t be writing too much about the ref; can’t help it though when I think he has really gone out of his way to try and screw us over.

Tremendous spirited performance. Bennett was outstanding; i was hoping Rev Blue was going to eat some humble pie but he was working! 

Credit to Dunn F.C. for the worst post match post ever for suggesting we sell Mulgrew in the summer if we get promoted?!!!

On a final note their seemed to be a load of trouble behind the Darwen End after the game. Saw it spilling over into the car park where the church used to be. Shrews fans were obviously upset they are about to lose their 2nd place ?. To be fair the Shrews fans who were in the black bull before hand were a good laugh.

This particular referee is considered to be one of the bright young stars of refereeing but I thought he was awful. I saw him referee us at Oxford when I thought he was also poor. In each game there were a high number of free kicks when really around half of them were no more than contact between players as the result of a challenge. I spoke to a close friend of mine on Friday who is still heavily involved in the PGMO as a coach and expressed my concerns that there are far too many soft free kicks which not too long ago wouldn't even have been given as fouls It also has such a detrimental effect on the flow of the game. And in the main it's the younger element of referees who do this and my theory is that they simply haven't played the game or don't understand it. Soon it will be pretty much a non contact sport and that will be another nail in footballs coffin. Alan Shearer would have to adjust his game and wouldn't be half the player if he was just starting out.

For what it's worth I thought both penalty decisions were correct yesterday but I didn't see Henderson cautioned for his challenge whilst Raya certainly was. How their left back stayed on is a mystery after firstly denying an obvious goal scoring which should have been a red card and then committing another cautionable offence shortly after. 

25 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=blackburn+v+shrewsbury+vlog&&view=detail&mid=D168227ECD2AF4D6FCE4D168227ECD2AF4D6FCE4&FORM=VRDGAR

Their keepers meltdown in all it's glory.

I think that was a coin he launched back at full velocity.

Having just seen that the ref clearly sees the keeper throw the items back into the crowd. He even speaks to the keeper and the hand gesturing by the ref suggests he is telling him to calm down. Should have been a straight red. Having said that if he had given the red card, it would have been a big talking point in the media and wouldn’t have portrayed our fans in a great light! 

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

I wasn't there but others have said the goal was disallowed for offside?

There was no indication from the referee or assistant so it clearly wasn't offside. My guess was a push just before the ball was headed to Downing.

• Backroom
36 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Interesting that the Shrewsbury view seems that neither were penalties. However, you can only assume that both were given for the keeper bringing down a player.  In which case why was their keeper not yellow carded? The ref was truly appalling. As others have said, he should also have walked for his bottle throwing antics.  He had a serious cob on second half. 

As an aside, if anyone has any footage of the throwing incident... Get it online! FA would more than likely have to pull him up then. 

Raya was booked for having a go at the Lino not for the foul 

14 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

True, but he's the paid professional. What you don't do as a paid professional is launch objects back into a crowd when the chances of hitting someone are very high. Especially when what he launches back looks like a coin. Absolute madness.

Just made my complaint regarding Dean H and his behavior yesterday, he may be young but he as represented  England on 3 levels and should know better, its part and parcel of the game getting taunted by the home fans on many grounds, while don't condone Rovers fans launching missiles at him  he should not be launching them back at such force and intent ...

info@thefa.com

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

This particular referee is considered to be one of the bright young stars of refereeing but I thought he was awful. I saw him referee us at Oxford when I thought he was also poor. In each game there were a high number of free kicks when really around half of them were no more than contact between players as the result of a challenge. I spoke to a close friend of mine on Friday who is still heavily involved in the PGMO as a coach and expressed my concerns that there are far too many soft free kicks which not too long ago wouldn't even have been given as fouls It also has such a detrimental effect on the flow of the game. And in the main it's the younger element of referees who do this and my theory is that they simply haven't played the game or don't understand it. Soon it will be pretty much a non contact sport and that will be another nail in footballs coffin. Alan Shearer would have to adjust his game and wouldn't be half the player if he was just starting out.

For what it's worth I thought both penalty decisions were correct yesterday but I didn't see Henderson cautioned for his challenge whilst Raya certainly was. How their left back stayed on is a mystery after firstly denying an obvious goal scoring which should have been a red card and then committing another cautionable offence shortly after. 

That's the problem right there, considered one of the bright young stars, so he's probably full of himself. Turns up to the highest profile game of the day in the div and tries to run it instead of officiate it, just has to be in the spotlight somehow.

Probably go to the top if that's his attitude how many times in the Prem did we see refs run the games how they saw fit and thought it should be rather than just actually referee it.

Just now, arbitro said:

In fairness to the ref he actually let the game flow at first. A couple of our lads went down softly early on  and he played on. I was actually impressed because as you say if you brush past someone in this league you get a free kick. The problem  was he bottled the Beckles sending-off. He should have gone for the first one in my opinion but to not send him off when he scythed down Samuel again was ludicrous. From then on he lost the crowd and put pressure on himself. The penalties could have gone either way, it's hard to tell with the Raya even after watching it back. The Raya booking was for going over to the linesman, the ref indicated as such when he booked him.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

The game is a bit of a disgrace though chaddy.

VAR.

not really. 

ref bottled the clear second booking for the Shrewsbury player who was on Yellow Card. 

number of fouls given that wasn't fouls but he give them to soft decisions. 

get the Shrewsbury pen wrong as even their manager admitted that. 

VAR? Not a fan see the chaos in caused in other countries and it isn't clear enough on some key areas. Look at the VAR thread for the link I posted about the chaos in Germany and fans are fed up with it already

Just now, arbitro said:

I couldn't agree with you more. You and I could be chasing a ball down, we both arrive at the ball at the same time, there is a coming together. For me most of the time that's play on. Nowadays it's a foul most of the time and it's always a foul one way or another in the penalty area.

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There was no indication from the referee or assistant so it clearly wasn't offside. My guess was a push just before the ball was headed to Downing.

There is some footage on the web which shows he was clearly onside going off the pitch markings. Very hard to see why that goal was ruled out to be honest.

Just now, philipl said:

There is some footage on the web which shows he was clearly onside going off the pitch markings. Very hard to see why that goal was ruled out to be honest.

From where the free kick was given from it had to Danny Graham preventing there full back from moving

45 minutes ago, Tom said:

Raya was booked for having a go at the Lino not for the foul 

I sit in BBE above the  line where the lino was.  Raya went to speak to him but was in no way aggressive. If he got booked for that then another joke. It looked more like the ref booked him for the 'foul' though. 

• Backroom
Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I sit in BBE above the  line where the lino was.  Raya went to speak to him but was in no way aggressive. If he got booked for that then another joke. It looked more like the ref booked him for the 'foul' though. 

He called Raya over then pointed towards the linesman and then booked him, was for the protests. 

Either way like most refs in these leagues at best he guessed at most decisions

I’ve just watched it back on tv. I froze it and Raya seems to have a hand on the ball. Likewise definite contact by their keeper on Samuel for our penalty.

As for the disallowed goal none of their players appeal for the ‘infringement.’ Not even the player himself who just seems to misjudge the header. Graham just seems to stand his ground which he is perfectly entitled to do. If the goal had stood nothing would have been said about it  - contact like that happens hundreds of times during games - again the ref has gone out of his way to give the decision. 

Appreciate I shouldn’t be clogging up the thread talking about the ref given we won. I don’t usually like baiting refs as having played a lot of amateur football, I appreciate the job they do for very little money. 

I just feel in this league there have been a couple of refs who seem to be anti - Rovers. Maybe because we are a big fish in the league and they want to make their mark? 

If the ref yesterday is just regarded as a poor ref then so be it. However the fact that he is considered a bright prospect as pointed out by arbitro makes it worse. 

But for such a spirited performance against 12 men we could easily have been saying this morning how the ref had potentially cost us any chance of automatic promotion! 

The only positive thing about the ref was he didn’t book Smallwood!

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The impression I get from some of the refs in this league is that because we have a few ‘big’ name players they are liable to go down easy, ergo we don’t get the fouls.

I think they are just really poor. There was a game recently. Possibly Scunthorpe where the ref gave us virtually every decision one half and them the same in the other half, regardless of the reality. I was shaking my head at some of the decisions given to US!

The game at this level used to be far less “important” going back a number of years and part-time self-motivated referees were fine. The top division was simply that - and a chance to pit yourself against better teams in the country.

The drip-drip effect of ex-PL teams now in the Championship and lower means that expectations of fans and the needs of clubs, in terms of the gain/loss of promotion/relegation are now massive. Rovers need to get back to the PL (or at least top end Championship and attracting a serious buyer) for long-term, Venkyless, survival. The impact of not being promoted because of poor officiating in a close game is therefore massive. Referees - and assistant referees - need to get more of the big decisions right. Instead, like yesterday, the referee(s) can be at the centre of most of the big talking points in the game for all the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I was sat looking down from behind that goal. As the cross goes in the defender is backing up to try and head it clear and Graham, who is behind the defender, blocked his path and put his arm out to prevent him moving further back. It was soft but as soon as it dropped to Downing ( I think) I looked straight at the ref as I expected him to blow.

If a defender had done it to a striker no one would have blinked.

On the coin and bottle throwing, yes the keeper is a professional but there was obviously some numpties in that area.  As the defender who fouled Raya at the end of the first half was led off the pitch after receiving treatment, he got hit on the side of the head with something thrown from the crowd.

Why do it? Brainless.

Sometimes players bring it on themselves (like when Glenn Murray celebrated goadingly in front of the Blackburn End for no reason at all) but that lad hadn't even looked at the crowd.

19 hours ago, Tom said:

Didn't see what started it and people throwing stuff is idiotic but their keeper needs reporting; the force that he threw things back into the stand was shocking, could have hit a kid

I'm informed that he started it by throwing his water bottle at somebody in the Blackburn End who was heckling him.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

not really. 

ref bottled the clear second booking for the Shrewsbury player who was on Yellow Card. 

number of fouls given that wasn't fouls but he give them to soft decisions. 

get the Shrewsbury pen wrong as even their manager admitted that. 

VAR? Not a fan see the chaos in caused in other countries and it isn't clear enough on some key areas. Look at the VAR thread for the link I posted about the chaos in Germany and fans are fed up with it already

Agreed on the second booking, at the ground both penalties were at the opposite end and I thought our penalty was certain and theres was debatable.

Having seen the replays, ours definitely isnt a penalty, and theres is I think as Raya didnt seem to get the ball.

Just in general you are right he was awful but I'd say we have got lucky with the penalties as ours wasnt one, not that im complaining especially after the potential second booking for Beckles.

Not a fan of VAR either but its going to come in sadly.

19 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Yes but how many games has he missed in a more physical league? Get a life mate. Quality Championship player

They don't get much more physical than Div.1. Why on Earth do you want to get rid of our best player. He was our best player in the Championship too. Some people don't know when they are well off.

19 hours ago, USABlue said:

Rev, what did you make of him, waste of space, worst player on the pitch?  Commentators thought he suited his role today.  What'd you think.

Rev reacted in true Arsene Wenger fashion. "I didn't see it!"

Archived