BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

10 minutes ago, Al said:

They don't get much more physical than Div.1. Why on Earth do you want to get rid of our best player. He was our best player in the Championship too. Some people don't know when they are well off.

It’s because he’s ex Celtic and dunnfc is a big Rangers fan.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed on the second booking, at the ground both penalties were at the opposite end and I thought our penalty was certain and theres was debatable.

Having seen the replays, ours definitely isnt a penalty, and theres is I think as Raya didnt seem to get the ball.

Just in general you are right he was awful but I'd say we have got lucky with the penalties as ours wasnt one, not that im complaining especially after the potential second booking for Beckles.

Not a fan of VAR either but its going to come in sadly.

Ours wasnt? Really? Samuel took out by their keeper just like Raya was taken out by their centre back at a corner. Similar sort of foul. 

Their pen wasnt. Raya got a hand on the ball..even their manager said it WASNT a pen. Very honest from Paul Hurst

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ours wasnt? Really? Samuel took out by their keeper just like Raya was taken out by their centre back at a corner. Similar sort of foul. 

Their pen wasnt. Raya got a hand on the ball..even their manager said it WASNT a pen. Very honest from Paul Hurst

You have to be balanced, you cant say everything should have gone our way.

Their keeper made no attempt to foul Samuel, who was always going down, very little contact. Not going to complain as it went our way but youd have been furious if that was against us. (understandably)

I can't see Raya getting any touch on the ball when I watch it back, irrelevant of the view of a manager who was 50 yards away.

Personally feel like he got their penalty right, he got the Beckles incident wrong (should have been a red, decision went Shrewsburys way) and got our penalty wrong (shouldnt have been a penalty, went our way), I don't think one team was particularly hard done by compared to the other, just an overall poor refereeing performance for me. 

For me it wasn't just the penalties, it was every stupid foul the ref kept giving/not giving. He just wasn't consistent. How many times was Graham manhandled, yet he didn't win one free kick but was penalised a few times.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

20 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

The free kick is also mentioned on the Shrewsbury forum regarding it being taken not from where the foul happened, must admit never noticed when watching it live on ifollow.

P.s anybody off here winding them up on their forum?

It was certainly taken from where the referee marked it. May be one more thing the referee got wrong but I never noticed it.

5 hours ago, JAL said:

The linesman Paul will do exactly how's he's been instructed by the referee, each referee will have a different personality along with the assistants and with many mix and matches from game to game you'll see these indifferences between games.  These guys aren't full time at this level unfortunately which they should be though many will earn far more from their day jobs than they would by being a full time league one referee or assistant.

Oh yes I knew this but it’s a good reminder to all that the referee sets out his stall. If the referee doesn’t want help from his linesmen he can’t complain if he receives all the stick for poor decisions. I don’t agree with referees setting the standard and feel the FA should be making the policy - or whoever is in charge of officials these days.

Surely it would make sense for the same officials to be together as a team as often as practical over the season?

21 minutes ago, Al said:

It was certainly taken from where the referee marked it. May be one more thing the referee got wrong but I never noticed it.

Correct. We sit quite close to there. 

• Backroom

I still can't see the logic in the referee physically stopping a player walking off for treatment for an arm injury. As a result he stopped the game and brought the physio on then a minute or so later asked the player and physio to leave the field, which he was doing before he got involved!

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You have to be balanced, you cant say everything should have gone our way.

Their keeper made no attempt to foul Samuel, who was always going down, very little contact. Not going to complain as it went our way but youd have been furious if that was against us. (understandably)

I can't see Raya getting any touch on the ball when I watch it back, irrelevant of the view of a manager who was 50 yards away.

Personally feel like he got their penalty right, he got the Beckles incident wrong (should have been a red, decision went Shrewsburys way) and got our penalty wrong (shouldnt have been a penalty, went our way), I don't think one team was particularly hard done by compared to the other, just an overall poor refereeing performance for me. 

Did I say everything had to go our way?

Our penalty was a penalty. Samuel played it over the keeper and keeper blocked him. 

Their penalty wasnt a pen. Raya got the ball..seen it live plus Mulgrew, Bennett and Smallwood reaction said alot aswell. Also Shrewsbury manager post comment said everything not a pen. 

The ref miss loads of fouls on Graham but funny enough gave a foul for them against Graham when Downing scored when the Shrewsbury defender miss time his jump.

Samuel played well yesterday. Won the free kick for the first and the penalty for the third. He also laid on good chances for Armstrong and Dack who were very close to converting those chances. Their left back couldn't handle him and should have been sent off for two yellow card challenges. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Paul Hurst actually said that he didn't think that either was a penalty. You can't quote him on one decision when it fits your view and not on the other.

FWIW I agree with Hurst - I thought they were both harsh. Anyway, it made not a blind bit of difference to the result.

And we're probably safe from relegation now.........

12 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Paul Hurst actually said that he didn't think that either was a penalty. You can't quote him on one decision when it fits your view and not on the other.

FWIW I agree with Hurst - I thought they were both harsh. Anyway, it made not a blind bit of difference to the result.

And we're probably safe from relegation now.........

This time last season League 1:

last season P GD Pts
Sheff Utd 27 21 56
Scunthorpe 27 27 55
Bolton 26 16 50
Bradford 27 11 45
Rochdale 26 9 45
Fleetwood 26 10 43

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed on the second booking, at the ground both penalties were at the opposite end and I thought our penalty was certain and theres was debatable.

Having seen the replays, ours definitely isnt a penalty, and theres is I think as Raya didnt seem to get the ball.

Just in general you are right he was awful but I'd say we have got lucky with the penalties as ours wasnt one, not that im complaining especially after the potential second booking for Beckles.

Not a fan of VAR either but its going to come in sadly.

From where I was and after seeing the highlights I think you are wrong on both counts. Are you trying to be controversial?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did I say everything had to go our way?

Our penalty was a penalty. Samuel played it over the keeper and keeper blocked him. 

Their penalty wasnt a pen. Raya got the ball..seen it live plus Mulgrew, Bennett and Smallwood reaction said alot aswell. Also Shrewsbury manager post comment said everything not a pen. 

The ref miss loads of fouls on Graham but funny enough gave a foul for them against Graham when Downing scored when the Shrewsbury defender miss time his jump.

Bit of a coincidence how you seem to think every decision should have gone our way though.

If we are taking their managers opinion as gospel, as only2garners said, he thought neither was a penalty. Therefore surely you agree on both counts.

Theirs im still not sure, one thing is for sure Raya was again rash for doing what he did in the first place. Still cant make my opinion on their penalty, replays inconclusive but if he did touch the ball it was slight, whereas ours was not a penalty and if you want to look at reactions, their keeper lost the plot afterwards.

The ref was really bad in general for both teams, just generally missed so much, I think it was a fairly difficult game to officiate as there were a few key decisions and it was pretty frantic at times but thats what you get for having part time refs I suppose. Useless.

9 minutes ago, Al said:

From where I was and after seeing the highlights I think you are wrong on both counts. Are you trying to be controversial?

Not at all, like I said I think ours is a case of Samuel engineering any contact and it was very, very soft.

Theirs, at the ground from the Darwen end I thought he might have got some of the ball, watching the replays I'm still unsure, but hes definitely got the man.

Like I said, I think he made 2 major errors, 1 each way, and was generally bad, but we won so thats what matters.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not at all, like I said I think ours is a case of Samuel engineering any contact and it was very, very soft.

Theirs, at the ground from the Darwen end I thought he might have got some of the ball, watching the replays I'm still unsure, but hes definitely got the man.

Like I said, I think he made 2 major errors, 1 each way, and was generally bad, but we won so thats what matters.

3 major errors if you include not sending off their left back.

I haven't seen any videos yet. So, my memory of what I saw at Ewood, quite a distance from the Blackburn End goal where both penalties were given are as follows.

The first penalty was very dubious. One gets a feeling that the ref is trying to even up what he perceives to be an imbalance between football clubs.

The second was never a penalty. Referee trying to justify the giving of the first pen.

If a referee is not absolutely sure that a penalty kick is warranted he SHOULD NEVER GIVE IT.

Same as when he isn't sure whether to give a goal kick or a corner he should ALWAYS give a goal kick.

I've sent an email to the FA highlighting my concern with the performance of the referee on Saturday. I felt he wanted to make a name for himself from the early stages and succeeded in fine style. Thankfully he didn't cost us a fine victory but he could have easily done so on another day.

51 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

I've sent an email to the FA highlighting my concern with the performance of the referee on Saturday. I felt he wanted to make a name for himself from the early stages and succeeded in fine style. Thankfully he didn't cost us a fine victory but he could have easily done so on another day.

You should write to David Allison at the EFL . He is the referee manager for the EFL  The FA will just backheel it.

3 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

This time last season League 1:

last season P GD Pts
Sheff Utd 27 21 56
Scunthorpe 27 27 55
Bolton 26 16 50
Bradford 27 11 45
Rochdale 26 9 45
Fleetwood 26 10 43

Similar to this year points wise but it's a stronger league this year so far. The team in 4th has 50pts.

Scunny must have fallen away pretty badly last season. They only finished on 78 points iirc. Lets hope for the same from Shrewsbury or Wigan.

For our pen if you look at the incident and where the ref was, he has no way of seeing if Raya touched it or not as there player would block his view.

It was a guess and you simply cant guess on something as big as a penalty

Tbf though his constant incompetence fired up the crowd like it hasn't been fired up for a long while. Folk near me who never stand up or sing where going mental screaming at the ref and singing their hearts out. The bench mark has been set now, for both the players and the fans. If both do their bit like that then ewood can be the fortress we need it to be

Archived