BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shrewsbury Town - 13/1/18

5 hours ago, West Yorks Rover said:

BTW just watched a vid of Hull's goal on Saturday, which Rovers player lost his man on the post ?

Whoever it was, it was shocking defending.

At the time I thought it was another back post header and quite a weak one too. The highlights show it was a fairly strong header from the middle of the pen area.

Regardless, we seem to be incapable of winning headers from corners or up front from crosses.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

May have missed it if anyone else has mentioned it but Shrewsbury have a game on Wednesday in the checkatrade.

Presume they wont play their first 11 but I doubt they have the biggest squad.

I hadn't realised this.

Considering they played an intense game on Sunday, you'd expect most players to be rested but not all 11... can only go in our favour. Let's hope so.

From what I've seen of Shrewsbury they're a really hard working and organised setup, hope we are set out to go at them from the start and maintain pressure throughout. Can't keep making the same mistakes.

MASSIVE GAME!

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15814877.__39_We__39_re_working_hard_on_it__39____Rovers_boss_Mowbray_on_set_piece_problems/?ref=mac

7 of the last 11 conceded from set pieces. Add the ones earlier in the season and it must be nearly half our goals conceded from set-pieces. Unacceptable really and in danger of ruining our season. Having good footballers at CH is great but if they can't do the basics at corners then Mowbray needs to have a re-think.

Considering Shrewsbury have scored the 12th most goals in the league, weve had a long rest, I hope Mowbray doesnt bottle it and play a conservative style.

They'll probably come and sit in, we need to be high energy, hopefully we get a new winger before, need to be in their faces and not play a team that prioritizes work rate over quality.

They will be organised so we need to do that bit extra to break them down.

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Considering Shrewsbury have scored the 12th most goals in the league, weve had a long rest, I hope Mowbray doesnt bottle it and play a conservative style.

They'll probably come and sit in, we need to be high energy, hopefully we get a new winger before, need to be in their faces and not play a team that prioritizes work rate over quality.

Noticed Payne was on the bench, imagine he will start 

• Backroom
11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We need to be on at them from the start, too often this season being too cautious has lost us points.

We aren't the best at the back but dangerous going forward, which is why it was suicide to sit deep in the last game and cost us 2 points.

We aren't smart or cute enough a team to keep it tight and nick a winner, problem is Mowbray doesn't always see it like that.

I've thought that nearly every time he's tried to outthink the opposition manager and set the team up to counteract the opposition it has backfired, play to our strengths and if on the day their strengths overcome ours then so be it.

15 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15814877.__39_We__39_re_working_hard_on_it__39____Rovers_boss_Mowbray_on_set_piece_problems/?ref=mac

7 of the last 11 conceded from set pieces. Add the ones earlier in the season and it must be nearly half our goals conceded from set-pieces. Unacceptable really and in danger of ruining our season. Having good footballers at CH is great but if they can't do the basics at corners then Mowbray needs to have a re-think.

I said this at the start of the season. This defence lacks a real die hard defender. A man that will throw his head in front of anything and only seeks to spoil someone elses' game. Downing is a good player but I want to see him smashing people out of the way to get to the ball. Mulgrew, again a very good player, is the same in that regard. He doesn't instil much confidence in set piece situations.

Combine our poor ability in the air with a young goalkeeper and we are seeing exactly what that recipe is made for: disaster. We are being undone by the very basics of football.

You'd expect Mowbray of all people to be able to teach able footballers how to defend a ball in the box. These aren't De Bruyne wonder balls, these are basic floating crosses/whipped crosses into danger areas.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Shrewsbury have signed defender Luke Hendrie from Burnley. He spent first half of this season on loan at Bradford City.

He's sure to get a really good reception.

They have also signed a left back Max Lowe on loan from Derby

1 hour ago, Cherry Blue said:

Shrewsbury have signed defender Luke Hendrie from Burnley. He spent first half of this season on loan at Bradford City.

Is that the bloke who played - and I use that in the loosest sense of the word - for us. Or just an ex-dingle?

Think this is a must not lose game, possibly even must win. Lose and I've a feeling the points difference will be very hard to make up, even with 20 games  left - look what type of run it took to catch up before. Even a draw doesn't leave us in the easiest position, and still not in control of our own destiny.

Imagine it will be a draw with both teams fearing a loss, but have a sneaking suspicion Shrewsbury might edge it.  

14 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

I hope they watch him at set pieces, you can almost write the script :o

They are having their best season in decades, first league meeting between the teams for decades and they will probably have around 800 at Ewood.

Not knocking them for it at all, it just shows the gulf between most Championship and League 1 teams in terms of fanbase.

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/96074/blackburn-fans-starting-get-concerned

Their forums have us down as "concerned". I wouldn't say we are concerned at all. This is a huge game for all involved but Shrewsbury don't exactly concern me as such. I am concerned about our defence more than anything.

Also strange to see them call Mowbray arrogant. If TM is anything arrogant isn't one of them.

One thing that does get me down about our current state is that such a big game at this stage of the season will only attract about 800 of them. We are hardly going toe-to-toe with a football giant.

Having read their horrible misconceptions about a great man TM (for all my criticisms of him as a manager) I sincerely hope we embarrass them. 

Archived