BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

VAR

Well, it’s here, starting tonight at Brighton v Palace.

Don’t know if or when it will ever be used on a Rovers game, but what’s everyone’s feelings about it?

Maybe this sounds stupid, but I think bad decisions are integral to football, and I’m fond of them. Imagine a world where you never got a scabby penalty or an offside goal! A world where there were never any discussions over referee decisions. Well it’s here!

#gamesgone

• Like 2

I'm all for trialing it and if successful it can only improve the game. I hope it works but at the same time don't start adding extra reasons to use it so in time it's gradually ends up stop start and endlessly going to the VR. The reasons stated for it's current use should be the only reasons and kept that way. Anyone know why it's being trailed tonight and Wednesday but not for the city game tomorrow ?

Don’t like it at all.  I see it as a way of the tv companies enforcing their power at the expense of the fans at the ground.  Also, in football key decisions are down to interpretation rather than fact anD it diesn't matter how  many times you see it on film it doesn’t  prove anything conclusively as there are too many factors to consider. I would rather take the rough with the smooth and go with the referee on the pitch making a call to the best of his ability and everyone stop moaning..

• Like 5

I haven't read anything on how this will function in football, but I would much prefer a system whereby the referee would ask 'Can you give me an obvious reason to change my decision'. If they can't, flawed or not, they return to the original decision. 

I like the idea that the game is the same at Old Trafford and Pleasington.

First it was 4th officials to keep the childish managers in check, then it was goal line technology and now it's going to be bitching for replay reviews every 25 seconds.

Let's just cut the bull and stop calling it a sport, at the top level. It's just a grubby race for money and a tediously dull one at that given the atrocious dross served up by the premier league.

Edited by Rover_Shaun
  • Like 8

My idea of VAR is that the ref is in constant communication with the person viewing the video. They can talk to each other as the ref already can with his linesmen/ assistant referees.

So simple! No need for players, managers, clubs, etc. to get involved by "asking the ref to review".

Interesting to hear about Germany...

Tonight BT trying to manufacture a controversy out of nothing re: Murray’s goal ... so where will it end - AR to the VAR?

Human error adds a bit of frisson and “organicness” to the game. It’s hard to explain what I mean, but I remember playing ProEvo or something back in the day and EVERY single offside was called correct, it felt soulless and robotic (well it was!) I know it’s the rules, but it just isn’t football, and will stall the game.

Tonight, the VAR was just a broadcasting gimmick and a distraction, the referee didn’t even blow the whistle after each goal just in case!

Just read the "How will VAR work" on BBC Sport. The majority of it sounds OK to me. I'm not too sure of refs having to form a square with their index fingers so the players and the crowd know he is consulting the VAR. But the general description of how it will work seems OK.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bazza said:

Just read the "How will VAR work" on BBC Sport. The majority of it sounds OK to me. I'm not too sure of refs having to form a square with their index fingers so the players and the crowd know he is consulting the VAR. But the general description of how it will work seems OK.

Hang on I thought we were doing ignorant and pessimistic on this site? 

I wouldn’t have signed up if I knew people were recommending reading stuff to inform my arguments!

It has not gone down to well with supporters in the A League and they are still getting decisions wrong even after reviews, The upside to it is that with the time it is taking to make a decision, you can go queue up and get a coffee and visit the toilet without missing any of the action or in the case of Perth Glory games its a nice respite from the boredom :)

Plenty of links from a google search regarding VAR in the A league this season available.

• Like 1

In the MSL final, VAR was a complete annoyance both times it featured. First time was after Toronto scored: Altedore beat the offside and put it in. A bit close but clearly onside, no defenders claiming for it, yet everyone stood around for at least a minute after the celebrations had died down while it was checked. Complete atmosphere killer. Second time was a total mystery: ref had to stop the game at a corner while VAR checked for God knows what. Eventual consensus was that something may have happened off the ball. But everyone was stood around for a couple of minutes in freezing conditions with no-one on the field or in the stands having a clue why. Nothing was given.

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

In the MSL final, VAR was a complete annoyance both times it featured. First time was after Toronto scored: Altedore beat the offside and put it in. A bit close but clearly onside, no defenders claiming for it, yet everyone stood around for at least a minute after the celebrations had died down while it was checked. Complete atmosphere killer. Second time was a total mystery: ref had to stop the game at a corner while VAR checked for God knows what. Eventual consensus was that something may have happened off the ball. But everyone was stood around for a couple of minutes in freezing conditions with no-one on the field or in the stands having a clue why. Nothing was given.

It surely must only be used after a goal has been scored. It is there to assist the referee not do his job for him.

Atmosphere killer it may be but the ref should have a concern if he is going to check.

The problems will come if the referee and assistants start to defer to the VAR to avoid criticism.

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

A world where Berg made a goal-saving tackle and we gave United a title-winning hammering at Ewood.

And a world where Olsson gets booked for diving and we endure one less precious win in my lifetime against Bumlah.

I'm undecided as yet... :unsure:

Olsson scored that game but it was ruled out for offside. He was clearly onside, Would that not have stood with the VAR? BUT we've also got Dunny's last minute offside equaliser which is the most I've ever celebrated a goal at Ewood. F**k the VAR!! :lol: 

• Like 2

I had to google VAR to know what this is. I think goal line technology could be worthwhile but wonder just how many incorrect decisions actually occur? I can’t recall a recent one.

As for VAR? Flat out no from me. The game is already blighted, especially in the PL, by players, managers and coaches who cheat in the game, moan, berate and crowd the referee when they don’t like a decision. Giving them VAR will just lead to more finger pointing and gesturing. 

Players and managers should first learn respect for the officials to prove they deserve the privilege of the referee taking a second look at a decision.

Referees make mistakes, it’s part of the game. I wouldn’t have their job for any money. Where I believe there could be significant improvement would be if linesmen gave decisions. I’ve lost count of the times linesmen fail to flag fouls which take place under their nose when the referee could be 30 or more yards away. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I had to google VAR to know what this is. I think goal line technology could be worthwhile but wonder just how many incorrect decisions actually occur? I can’t recall a recent one.

As for VAR? Flat out no from me. The game is already blighted, especially in the PL, by players, managers and coaches who cheat in the game, moan, berate and crowd the referee when they don’t like a decision. Giving them VAR will just lead to more finger pointing and gesturing. 

Players and managers should first learn respect for the officials to prove they deserve the privilege of the referee taking a second look at a decision.

Referees make mistakes, it’s part of the game. I wouldn’t have their job for any money. Where I believe there could be significant improvement would be if linesmen gave decisions. I’ve lost count of the times linesmen fail to flag fouls which take place under their nose when the referee could be 30 or more yards away. 

Goal line technology is based on fact, VAR is based on opinion and therefore not an exact science. Mistakes will still be made even though there is a chance to re referee incidents.

Personally I don't want it as I can accept mistakes (however infuriating) from players, managers and officials.

• Like 1