BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

VAR

8 hours ago, Silas said:

There are tons of things authorities could do to try and reduce this wasted time - speed up throw ins, stop goalkeepers taking forever, stop players surrounding refs for ages complaining etc, etc.

Not to mention all the play-acting. Perhaps the only way to stop that is that any player that goes down should immediately be stretchered off and have to stay off the field for a minimum of 3 minutes.

• Backroom

Well it's just proved a little farcical, Willian booked for a dive in the box when it was an obvious penalty

Any good work with the correct decision last night has been undone and to make it worse players are going to the ref to ask for decisions reviewed now 

Edited by Tom

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Well it's just proved a little farcical, Willian booked for a dive in the box when it was an obvious penalty

Any good work with the correct decision last night has been undone and to make it worse players are going to the ref to ask for decisions reviewed now 

I hate to say it but this is exactly what I’ve been saying. It’s a complete waste of time and money.

If the football authorities have a serious interest in improving the game let’s start with:

Respect for match officials from players and managers 

Significant punishment for cheating

Managers to face sanctions for media outbursts

Punishments to truly impact the offender. Let’s start fining these highly paid individuals amounts which will really hurt them. £500,000 or more at a time.

VAR has been at the centre of the talking points in the Chelsea - Norwich match for all the wrong reasons. Deliberate?

However, as a neutral, few things in football are worse that the favourite winning on penalties.

7 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I think the ref got everything right tonight, bar maybe the Willian decision. But it wasn’t “clearly and obviously” wrong, still debatable, so won’t be overturned. Waste of time all round.

If Morata had been trying to sprint clear and had put his arms on a defender like the defender did for the "penalty", the ref gives a free kick every time.

If the ref decided not to give a penalty fine but to book him, when the hand on him pventing a clear run is obvious, was ridiculous . He had no need whatsoever to book Morata and that ultimately led to Morata's rant and sending off.

He got the Willian penalty wrong as well and also failed to give a clear Chelsea free kick at the end when they were down to 9.

Ref had a shocker whilst trying to get his 5 minutes of fame on the Beeb.

Edited by Hasta

Just now, Hasta said:

If Morata had been trying to sprint clear and had put his arms on a defender like the defender did for the "penalty", the ref gives a free kick every time.

If the ref decided not to give a penalty fine but to book him, when the hand on him a clear run, is obvious, was ridiculous by the ref. He had n need whatsoever to book Morata and that ultimately led to Morata's rant and sending off.

He got the Willian penalty wrong as well and also failed to give a clear Chelsea free kick at the end when they were down to 9.

Ref had a shocker whilst trying to get his 5 minutes of fame on the Beeb.

Ah come on Morata took off like Superman!

No wonder players dive theatrically if that’s what constitutes a foul in so many eyes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Regardless of whether he went down or not, are you saying the defender didn't put his arm on him to deliberately stop him breaking clear?

Is that not a foul?

Any 6ft+ centre forward worth his salt would not be affected by that amount of contact.

The only reason to go down is to win the penalty.

Games gone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Husky said:

I sometimes wonder if Prem teams actually practice diving in training.

I’m absolutely certain all PL teams, and no doubt many others, practice every single possibility for diving and stretching the rules to the absolute limit. There are the laws of the game and then there is the spirit of the game.

The spirit sold its soul and died 25 years ago.........

5 hours ago, Husky said:

I sometimes wonder if Prem teams actually practice diving in training.

Diving pratice, holding pratice, pushing pratice, intimidating officials pratice etc etc etc

The new one is how to make a VAR signal such as a TV screen.

Rampant in the PL where top 'actors' will have personal trainers but in the lower leagues too.

Little wonder defensive heading training on crosses and setplays is neglected

IMHO

Last night's game, and the discussion on here show exactly why VAR can only work for decisions of fact (like offside, goal-line etc.) - foul play (and most penalties) in football are subjective and based on opinion which will always differ between different viewers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TonyM said:

Last night's game, and the discussion on here show exactly why VAR can only work for decisions of fact (like offside, goal-line etc.) - foul play (and most penalties) in football are subjective and based on opinion which will always differ between different viewers.

Essentially I agree with you.

However I believe VAR will improve, through the considered opinion of the VAR official, penalty awards and similar.

It could also cover off-ball incidents that the onfield officials miss which are currently dealt with by delayed review.

VAR is here to stay  but must be improved and clubs and players forbidden from influencing its usage.

In time there will be no onfield match officials, all decisions by IT and android players. ;) There is a future for Jason Lowe afterall.

11 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Essentially I agree with you.

However I believe VAR will improve, through the considered opinion of the VAR official, penalty awards and similar.

It could also cover off-ball incidents that the onfield officials miss which are currently dealt with by delayed review.

VAR is here to stay  but must be improved and clubs and players forbidden from influencing its usage.

In time there will be no onfield match officials, all decisions by IT and android players. ;) There is a future for Jason Lowe afterall.

For anything that requires a judgement there will always be a difference of opinion and I guess from a managers perspective that depends whether the decision is for or against you. In that respect VAR changes nothing. Last night the VAR was Mike Jones who is one of the worst referees on the list and the once the decision is going to be reviewed it is his responsibility. I foresee lots of VAR associated problems which by the way is costing a fortune. 

18 hours ago, Paul said:

I hate to say it but this is exactly what I’ve been saying. It’s a complete waste of time and money.

If the football authorities have a serious interest in improving the game let’s start with:

Respect for match officials from players and managers 

Significant punishment for cheating

Managers to face sanctions for media outbursts

Punishments to truly impact the offender. Let’s start fining these highly paid individuals amounts which will really hurt them. £500,000 or more at a time.

£500,000 is a huge amount to be fining someone by any standards.

If a player is earning 30k a week you'd be ok with fining them 17+ weeks of their wage for "cheating"? It seems rather a contentious subject to be handing out such substantial fines. It isn't even comparable to every day fines for breaking the law.

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If a player is earning 30k a week you'd be ok with fining them 17+ weeks of their wage for "cheating"? It seems rather a contentious subject to be handing out such substantial fines. It isn't even comparable to every day fines for breaking the law.

A fine of one week's wage ought to do it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Willian is widely reported as earning £110 - 120,000 per week. I’d say £500,000 is the sort of fine which might make these vastly overpriced, overpaid players think?

I don't think fines would work - there would be all kinds of legal who-ha about it. 500k fines if a player is adamant he didnt cheat and it might just look a bit like a dive - it would all be too contentous when money is involved.

Id say put it on the clubs. Instant three match ban if deemed to be diving, rises by one for each further offence, so 4, 5, 6 etc. Clubs would then have no chance but to stamp it out of their players.

• Like 1