BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

VAR

On 19/01/2018 at 05:37, Paul said:

Willian is widely reported as earning £110 - 120,000 per week. I’d say £500,000 is the sort of fine which might make these vastly overpriced, overpaid players think?

Would you fine a cricketer 5 weeks wages for appealing for a catch when he knows the batsman didn't nick it?

On 19/01/2018 at 08:08, JacknOry said:

I don't think fines would work - there would be all kinds of legal who-ha about it. 500k fines if a player is adamant he didnt cheat and it might just look a bit like a dive - it would all be too contentous when money is involved.

Id say put it on the clubs. Instant three match ban if deemed to be diving, rises by one for each further offence, so 4, 5, 6 etc. Clubs would then have no chance but to stamp it out of their players.

Problem is most diving incidents have varying opinion.

Everyone agrees that Dioulf dived at Ewood when playing for Bolton.

However people have alternate views on the Morata / William incident's last week.  

Big punishments can only be applied if it's absolutely clear..

30 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Would you fine a cricketer 5 weeks wages for appealing for a catch when he knows the batsman didn't nick it?

Why not? It’s proportionate. If a player earns £1000/week and another £100,000/week they are punished equally in real terms. 

There’s nothing admirable about cheats in any sport. Players need to respect the sport which feeds them, it’s officials and supporters. 

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Why not? It’s proportionate. If a player earns £1000/week and another £100,000/week they are punished equally in real terms. 

There’s nothing admirable about cheats in any sport. Players need to respect the sport which feeds them, it’s officials and supporters. 

Fair enough depending on if the grey areas can be avoided. What if a cricketer thinks he's nicked it, appeals, the batsman clearly hasn't hit it and then the appealer gets fined. 

It can only be used absolute clear cases like the Diouf incident. Many yellows I see for diving are grey. Even under  VAR they would be grey.

Edited by Hasta

4 hours ago, Hasta said:

Problem is most diving incidents have varying opinion.

Everyone agrees that Dioulf dived at Ewood when playing for Bolton.

However people have alternate views on the Morata / William incident's last week.  

Big punishments can only be applied if it's absolutely clear..

Thats pretty much what I meant in a round about way - its far too contentious and there are different opinions. In some cases you would not be able to say for sure if it was an intentional dive or not - yes some are obvious but even then there might be a small chance it was not a dive.

Start throwing around huge fines like that would end up with players in the courts I would expect.

Stick to non-monetary punishments that will hurt the team such as instant 3-match bans and the likes of Morata would not be doing it anymore .

Just watched the Liverpool game. For the first disallowed goal, Barry is given offside. As the ball comes In, you can clearly see the keeper.pushing  Barry to get him out of the 6 yard box. Therefore it should have been a penalty. If Barry does that to the keeper he blows straight away.

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Barry was backing into the keeper on purpose though. So did he foul the keeper?

No he wasn't. He stood his ground. The keeper pushed him forward when the ball was in flight and only then did he back back in to his position. 

If you are going to review the passage of play on video then you have to analyse the whole situation. It would be soft but you can't tell me the keeper putting two hands and pushing like that isn't a penalty.

Edited by Hasta

It certainly adds some good comedy value. How is it fair that this VAR is only being trialled in certain ties? Imagine your team gets knocked out of the FA Cup to a shocking decision that would have got overturned had your team's game been part of this VAR experiment.

I feel like the technology will end up favouring this bigger sides because there's always going to be more controversial decisions involving those team because they spend more of the game attacking and borderline penalties like the one Liverpool got will always be reviewed and the referee will be pressurised into giving it.

5 hours ago, grizfoot said:

It certainly adds some good comedy value. How is it fair that this VAR is only being trialled in certain ties? Imagine your team gets knocked out of the FA Cup to a shocking decision that would have got overturned had your team's game been part of this VAR experiment.

I feel like the technology will end up favouring this bigger sides because there's always going to be more controversial decisions involving those team because they spend more of the game attacking and borderline penalties like the one Liverpool got will always be reviewed and the referee will be pressurised into giving it.

That’s like saying bigger sides get more penalties because they spend more time in the opposition 18 yard box. It’s kind of intuitive.

VAR should be all about getting to the facts and giving a correct decision. Nothing wrong with that in principle.

Issues seem to be the length of time it takes and the potential to undermine the referee.

There was an interesting cricket VAR call recently where a wicket keeper made a catch with the webbing of his glove on the ground when the ball hit the floor. The umpire gave a ‘soft out’ decision. It was then down to VAR to try to prove the opposite. On a close call where the angle can’t give a 100% decision, the referee’s decision stands. The issue then is how long it takes to review and deliberate. Would this be added on as injury time? Personally I’m only a fan of VAR to clear things up in the event that a ball has crossed the line or not. Once play has stopped it would be then that any concerns (e.g. over the line or offside) should be addressed.

• Moderation Lead

Only in football could such a hash be made of something which works so successfully in other sports.

I fully embrace the idea of using technology to help eliminate mistakes, but I can't support it in such a shambolic manner.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...