SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

VAR

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Yesterday it worked

Goal correctly disallowed 

For me, Mata's goal should have stood. 

Liverpool vs WBA game was a complete mess with using VAR

It takes far too long for decisions to be made and the crowd in the stadium was very much in the dark. 

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Early days chaddy lots of tweaking improving and generally getting used to using this system let's see what you think in five- six seasons time from now.

My view wont change. 

Not in favour VAR from day 1. See the major problems in Germany and Italy. Did posted an article on these recently. Fans in Germany fed up already of it. 

Get rid of it asap. No place in football

I thought Wagner made an excellent point about VAR taking the emotion out of the game. For two minutes yesterday the fans, players and management teams stood around not knowing what to do. Can you imagine that situation in a the last moments of a hugely important game? 

Even that decision yesterday was so close and the camera position from above cast enough doubt to give the benefit of the doubt to the striker which is what they would do without VAR.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

VAR will hopefully improve but is here to stay. TV wants it and they pay the bills. TV is interested in their international viewership not bums in stadiums

I agree. VAR has become a necessary part of a sport that now has £1bn+ TV contracts.

Personally I’m in favour as the big clubs have been given the ‘benefit of the doubt’ on decisions for far too long.

They just need to make it part of the match day experience.

The problem is a lot of decisions are still opinions.

The goal at Anfield which was (correctly) disallowed by VAR recently should have been given as a penalty instead if you are going to use the footage to come to the decision.

Yesterdays decision was a shambles in the way it was shown. Some people are still saying it was offside, most others think he was level. Differences of opinion despite seeing multiple stills and replays.

Twitter is currently in meltdown as to whether Dele Alli dived or not at Rochdale.

Goal-line technology is fine as its black or white, but if anyone thinks there will be no more contentious decisions with VAR they are kidding themselves.

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The goal at Anfield which was (correctly) disallowed by VAR recently should have been given as a penalty instead if you are going to use the footage to come to the decision.

Yesterdays decision was a shambles in the way it was shown. Some people are still saying it was offside, most others think he was level. Differences of opinion despite seeing multiple stills and replays.

Twitter is currently in meltdown as to whether Dele Alli dived or not at Rochdale.

Goal-line technology is fine as its black or white, but if anyone thinks there will be no more contentious decisions with VAR they are kidding themselves.

You don't need VAR to know that runt dived.

22 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

You don't need VAR to know that runt dived.

And yet the entire MOTD team said it was a clear penalty. 

So we could be having the same debate except we would have had a 2 minute delay while VAR was consulted and the penalty given.

Edited by Hasta

29 minutes ago, Hasta said:

And yet the entire MOTD team said it was a clear penalty. 

So we could be having the same debate except we would have had a 2 minute delay while VAR was consulted and the penalty given.

I was watching a stream in English but some foreign channel so fortunately not exposed to MOTD pundit opinion.

My view was no Rochdale challenge made and if any contact caused by Ali. I have to say his body flick was good as he fell as if he'd had a leg chopped off.

It is baffling to me why 'cause' is ignored when any faint contact with a (superstar) player is made in the pen area. The 'caused' Spuds pen v Liverpool anorher example.

A completely different set of rules now applies for in and outside of the pen area.

Anyway justice was served and Spuds have a replay they didn't want and Rochdale will get a nice payoff so I'm very happy for Dale.

VAR is going to be used more and more and they will get the tech right so that those inside the stadium know what's going on. I can see VAR being extended to other facets of the game too. The problem for spectators is matches much longer than 90 minutes, but great for the TV companies who now 'own' English football.

BTW and for the record I personally do not favour VAR and it will change the game and not in a good way, but then again I favour sliding tackles winning the ball and committed play and stuff like that.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

1000% agree. Football is about opinions. 

35 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I was watching a stream in English but some foreign channel so fortunately not exposed to MOTD pundit opinion.

My view was no Rochdale challenge made and if any contact caused by Ali. I have to say his body flick was good as he fell as if he'd had a leg chopped off.

It is baffling to me why 'cause' is ignored when any faint contact with a (superstar) player is made in the pen area. The 'caused' Spuds pen v Liverpool anorher example.

A completely different set of rules now applies for in and outside of the pen area.

Anyway justice was served and Spuds have a replay they didn't want and Rochdale will get a nice payoff so I'm very happy for Dale.

VAR is going to be used more and more and they will get the tech right so that those inside the stadium know what's going on. I can see VAR being extended to other facets of the game too. The problem for spectators is matches much longer than 90 minutes, but great for the TV companies who now 'own' English football.

BTW and for the record I personally do not favour VAR and it will change the game and not in a good way, but then again I favour sliding tackles winning the ball and committed play and stuff like that.

Watched the game with my dad. 

I said it was clear pen. Dad thought otherwise. 

Also @Stuart why are replying to me after last week you told me not to reply to you after you throw your little toys of your pram. Still cant stick to it can you Stuart? I only know cos it still come up as notifications for some reason even tho I have you on ignore

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Also @Stuart why are replying to me after last week you told me not to reply to you after you throw your little toys of your pram. Still cant stick to it can you Stuart? I only know cos it still come up as notifications for some reason even tho I have you on ignore

Course it did champ. Couldn’t resist a peek could you...

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

1000% agree. Football is about opinions. 

Watched the game with my dad. 

I said it was clear pen. Dad thought otherwise. 

In normal play Ali's gymnastic skills fooled me and only seeing the replay firmed my view that it was a dive. I suppose that supports having VAR, especially with serial cheats, imo, like Ali around.

If VAR is used to punish shirt pulling and pushing the games will never finish.

On a side note to the VAR debate I am catching up with Saturdays FA Cup MOTD and Christ on a bike Tae amount of annoying commentators did my head in. The shrill and tinnitus inducing Robyn Cowen and Vicki Sparkd, Jonathan Pearce's excitable squeak and Alistair Mann's coma inducing banal style. The z team of the commentary barrel.  My ears are ringing. ?

Edited by Rover_Shaun

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

On a side note to the VAR debate I am catching up with Saturdays FA Cup MOTD and Christ on a bike Tae amount of annoying commentators did my head in. The shrill and tinnitus inducing Robyn Cowen and Vicki Sparkd, Jonathan Pearce's excitable squeak and Alistair Mann's coma inducing banal style. The z team of the commentary barrel.  My ears are ringing. ?

Makes yoù miss proper pundits. Wolstenholme, Clough, hell even Tony Gubba would be welcome compared to Jermaine Jenas.

6 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Also quite a good philosophy on how to view our young players, isn't it?

On players for Rovers it's the here and now for me it's like waiting for Jason Lowe to come good you've either got it or not to progress. Charlie Mulgrew and Danny Graham are young for me Philt you don't read me complaining about these young fellas do you☺.

Edited by JAL

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me, Mata's goal should have stood. 

Liverpool vs WBA game was a complete mess with using VAR

It takes far too long for decisions to be made and the crowd in the stadium was very much in the dark. 

My view wont change. 

Not in favour VAR from day 1. See the major problems in Germany and Italy. Did posted an article on these recently. Fans in Germany fed up already of it. 

Get rid of it asap. No place in football

We could get rid of referees and their assistants all together and replace them with technology over the coming years. How about that ?

2 minutes ago, JAL said:

We could get rid of referees and their assistants all together and replace them with technology over the coming years. How about that ?

No thanks  

Refs and assistants are there to make decisions. 

Not a fan technology in football. VAR doesnt work and IMO has no place in football. 

Decisions need to much quickly made if we used VAR and the public need to inform of whats going on. 

Look at what fans in Germany and Italy think of VAR. thet want rid

Would not commit yourself too early chaddy what about if the below came about.

I think VAR could work if you had 10 Cameras feeding 10 review screens

and be set up like this 

REVIEW COACH**

MONITOR      MONITOR    MONITOR

MONITOR *                                                    MONITOR * 

MONITIOR  MONITOR***  MONITOR

MONITOR    MONITOR

*these two monitors for show as they are not real monitors for these positions

** Review coach sounds more foreign and sexy than review manager, of course he would report to the Director of Reviews

*** This monitor could play a number 10 roll and be pushed up a bit more

If we had to replace any of the monitors I would like to see us bring in Eizo (if money was no object) Asus, HP, Ben Q , Acer, Dell etc (got a list of other monitor signings I would like to sign , pm me if interested). Been watching monitors for 40 + years so quite an expert :)

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Would not commit yourself too early chaddy what about if the below came about.

I think VAR could work if you had 10 Cameras feeding 10 review screens

and be set up like this 

REVIEW COACH**

MONITOR      MONITOR    MONITOR

MONITOR *                                                    MONITOR * 

MONITIOR  MONITOR***  MONITOR

MONITOR    MONITOR

*these two monitors for show as they are not real monitors for these positions

** Review coach sounds more foreign and sexy than review manager, of course he would report to the Director of Reviews

*** This monitor could play a number 10 roll and be pushed up a bit more

If we had to replace any of the monitors I would like to see us bring in Eizo (if money was no object) Asus, HP, Ben Q , Acer, Dell etc (got a list of other monitor signings I would like to sign , pm me if interested). Been watching monitors for 40 + years so quite an expert :)

Just leave football alone without VAR.

Look.at German league and mess it caused them

Edited by chaddyrovers