BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

VAR

Dont need it. Just improve the overall quality of refereeing, give them back the power to boss a game as they see fit and make use of goal line technology only or perhaps even offside technology. No video replays of tiny contentious incidents.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

VAR doesnt work. Time to get rid of the rubbish system

Spain disagree last night a perfectly good goal was disallowed before VAR allowed for the correct decision:

I think if you looked at every incident in which it’s been used this World Cup the success rate would be somewhere between 80-90% depending on your view. The penalty last night was for me the first time a wrong decision has come from it although there’s a few instances where it could have been used but hasn’t. 

Maybe that’s not high enough and that’s certainly y up for debate but VAR absolutely irrefutably does work at least to an extent. 

• Like 1

The problem with VAR are the protocols are all wrong and there is a misconception that like Cricket the technology can clear up decisions.  Cricket technology by and large gives a definitive answer, for example Ball Tracking will tell you if the bowl was going to it the wickets or snicko will tell you if there was a sound as ball passed the bat etc.  However apart from the goaline technology the other bits that football use does not give a definitive answer so it is back to the "judgment" of the VAR ref/Match referee so you are going to get inconsistent decisions.

Then the protocols are wrong and it is creating an inbalance, some teams are benefiting from VAR decisions being referred whilst others are not because VAR did not look/refer them.  Those protocols need to be cleared up.  If they are going to persist with this then they could just give the Manager 2 VAR referrals per match, so then you are putting the onus on the teams, so if they waste them then that is their own fault.  At least the decision making protocol would be "fair".

Having seen VAR in action for the whole season in Serie A and now this world cup I would say it needs scrapping in it's current format.  I have seen it work brilliantly but I have also seen a lot of games where it has caused confusion and chaos.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think if you looked at every incident in which it’s been used this World Cup the success rate would be somewhere between 80-90% depending on your view. The penalty last night was for me the first time a wrong decision has come from it although there’s a few instances where it could have been used but hasn’t. 

But Australia's VAR penalty against Denmark was the result of a very similar handball incident.

Surely they are both penalties or they both aren't?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Husky said:

But Australia's VAR penalty against Denmark was the result of a very similar handball incident.

Change the rules to take away the intension debate, if it hits your arm it's handball.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Husky said:

I think that’s one of the only games I’ve missed 

30 minutes ago, rigger said:

Change the rules to take away the intension debate, if it hits your arm it's handball.

I have a mate who shares this view. I can see the logic in it but can't agree with it. There would be far too many lucky penalties for me, plus you would get players deliberately trying to hit the arm of the defender rather than find a team mate. 

Any ref worth his or her salt should get most of the intentionality calls right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Spain disagree last night a perfectly good goal was disallowed before VAR allowed for the correct decision:

Maybe that’s not high enough and that’s certainly y up for debate but VAR absolutely irrefutably does work at least to an extent. 

I've not watched a lot of the world cup but they have been plenty of decisions that have been in 50/50 and plenty of stuff not given in the right decision. 

Ronaldo should have been sent off last night. England should have been given a penalty or 2 against Tunisia. Against Panama these calls were made

The NHL, ice hockey,  has a rule that if you draw blood, your time in the penalty box goes from 2 to 5 minutes for an infraction.  One of the Japanese player did get a bloody nose in this tournament... that looked a bit like a forearm to the face.... I'm not even sure if that was called as anything beyond a foul. I think Ronaldo's act yesterday was pretty minor.

I just don't know how to measure the success or failure of VAR for incidents that aren't clear cut and come down to an opinion. The can of worms has been well and truly opened and I really fear that the decision makers have already made their minds up and will hide behind some statistics they manufacture and manipulate. I can see the likes of Collina and Elleray really pushing VAR as pretty much it is their project.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've not watched a lot of the world cup but they have been plenty of decisions that have been in 50/50 and plenty of stuff not given in the right decision. 

Ronaldo should have been sent off last night. England should have been given a penalty or 2 against Tunisia. Against Panama these calls were made

Not like you chaddy. Been brilliant to watch and far more interesting than getting bogged down in the transfer silly season!

Not sure how you can make such a judgement on its overall effectiveness if you havent seen barely any of the tournament? In the main, it has been less farcical and much smoother than I expected, however I am still against it. Sadly its here to stay.

That said, im on your side of the VAR argument but I disagree with the overall principle, not necessarily the effectiveness of the current set up as I do think that things can be ironed out, never perfectly.

Most penalty kicks  ever in the group stage in this World Cup ( https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-cup/news/thanks-to-var-the-world-cup-record-for-most-penalty-kicks-has-been-shattered-in-russia-2018-group-stage/ ). I'm not saying this is good or bad, we are in uncharted territory.  It seems most games have a penalty kick awarded. At times, there seems the danger of exchanging penalties. That happened in Australia vs. France, France given a pk, then, minutes later, Australia.  In older World Cups, it seems one could watch 3 or 4 games, no penalties given.

Edited by Audax

Well done to the Turkish referee last night who didn't give in to VAR pressure after they referred a decision to him as a clear and obvious error. This would have resulted in a penalty for Nigeria for an alleged handball by Rojo. The way he explained his decision to the irate Nigerians was exemplary.

Collina however should be hauling the VAR's over the coals.

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Well done to the Turkish referee last night who didn't give in to VAR pressure after they referred a decision to him as a clear and obvious error. This would have resulted in a penalty for Nigeria for an alleged handball by Rojo. The way he explained his decision to the irate Nigerians was exemplary.

Collina however should be hauling the VAR's over the coals.

It looked to be the refs own decision to check with VAR at the request of the players imo. At least he still got it right but it looked like he bowed to player pressure.

42 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It looked to be the refs own decision to check with VAR at the request of the players imo. At least he still got it right but it looked like he bowed to player pressure.

The way he cupped his ear indicated to me the VAR were talking to him. Whichever way it was good refereeing I thought.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The way he cupped his ear indicated to me the VAR were talking to him. Whichever way it was good refereeing I thought.

Ah yes, probably. Definitely made the correct decision and as you say a clear explanation.

Still reckon refs should be mic'd up to stadium tannoys, personally. Would alli fans to hear discussion and would also help catch out players being disrespectful (and enable appropriate sanctions, even if retrospective).

What would you think of that?

35 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Ah yes, probably. Definitely made the correct decision and as you say a clear explanation.

Still reckon refs should be mic'd up to stadium tannoys, personally. Would alli fans to hear discussion and would also help catch out players being disrespectful (and enable appropriate sanctions, even if retrospective).

What would you think of that?

I'm not sure an open mic would be the way forward given some of the unpalatable things said in many languages. I know players should be dismissed for foul, offensive or abusive language but some games wouldn't finish. I like the idea of the referee doing a controlled press conference post match when he has had an opportunity to review his decisions. Mistakes happen and admitting them is far better than just going home with nobody none the wiser (well it was for me).

• Like 1