BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

VAR

On 26/06/2018 at 12:11, Kamy100 said:

The problem with VAR are the protocols are all wrong and there is a misconception that like Cricket the technology can clear up decisions.  Cricket technology by and large gives a definitive answer, for example Ball Tracking will tell you if the bowl was going to it the wickets or snicko will tell you if there was a sound as ball passed the bat etc.  However apart from the goaline technology the other bits that football use does not give a definitive answer so it is back to the "judgment" of the VAR ref/Match referee so you are going to get inconsistent decisions.

Then the protocols are wrong and it is creating an inbalance, some teams are benefiting from VAR decisions being referred whilst others are not because VAR did not look/refer them.  Those protocols need to be cleared up.  If they are going to persist with this then they could just give the Manager 2 VAR referrals per match, so then you are putting the onus on the teams, so if they waste them then that is their own fault.  At least the decision making protocol would be "fair".

Having seen VAR in action for the whole season in Serie A and now this world cup I would say it needs scrapping in it's current format.  I have seen it work brilliantly but I have also seen a lot of games where it has caused confusion and chaos.

It doesn’t work perfectly on cricket. It’s mathematics giving a most probably outcome. Variations in the surface of the crease could impact spin, trajectory and pace but it is seen as successful because it has been in use for some time and their has been trust built up.

I agree that protocols for its use in football need to be looked at but the vast majority of its decisions have been correct and gave contributed to a fantastic World Cup. Where it has fallen over has been what it has always been - poor decision making from officials. Both in the application, and review process.

• 6 months later...
2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

How can it be right that a cup tie only has VAR in one leg and not the other? Just because one side happens to be in the PL?

It’s Ewood Park not the Crown Ground!

And yet they have VAR in the stone dead rubber at Burton next week after saying it was only being used at PL grounds.

I accept VAR has its advantages but I'd rather it wasn't introduced. It just seems to me to be another step towards the sanitization of the game and the removal of any unpredictability/controversy which makes it so enjoyable.

Someone said on the radio last week there's something wrong with VAR when paying ticket holders at the ground can't see what is going on with the review system but those sat on the sofa at home can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I accept VAR has its advantages but I'd rather it wasn't introduced. It just seems to me to be another step towards the sanitization of the game and the removal of any unpredictability/controversy which makes it so enjoyable.

Someone said on the radio last week there's something wrong with VAR when paying ticket holders at the ground can't see what is going on with the review system but those sat on the sofa at home can.

That's the same with so many incidents in a match to be fair. Many is the time that people have given me new detail the following day at work about a game I was at the previous evening.

A long time ago, one of mine cried, when he got home and saw a recording of the infamous Diouf penalty incident in the Darwen End. 

Oh the injustice!