BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

VAR

VAR has nothing to do with Tevez style incident as thats Bern solved with the.cut and dried goal line technology. Like in Rugby and cricket it's a yes or no decision with no grey, no individual interpretation of the laws.

Too much is open to interpretation with what VAR is looking at. Disallowing that Spurs goal for fk all was enbarrasssing

All sensible people are against VAR*. There is no other conclusion unless you want the game to be a mockery.

*Imo ?

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

But lots of decisions using VAR will still be based on opinion not fact which will still not give you a definitive right or wrong. In this respect it's absolutely pointless. There is a perception amongst the drivers of this that it will eradicate errors. Quite simply it won't as it will still be in the opinion of the referee.

Based on the current criteria every penalty kick should be reviewed as encroachment is a clear and obvious error and contrary to law.

It's full of holes and causing confusion and will continue to do so

It’s interesting how it has been introduced in baseball, and they are sticking to issues of fact, so one of the most disputed areas - strike or ball - can’t be reviewed as that’s opinion, whereas did a player or the ball get to the base first is reviewed endlessly. Umpires can decide to review a home run, the guy on the monitor can’t initiate anything.

5 hours ago, K-Hod said:

It definitely could work, it does in other sports, no reason football can’t be the same. It works in rugby, cricket and tennis well and efficiently. Said it before, but we could always just ring the president of the LTA and ask for the number for Hawkeye...

Different sports. 

Alot of football decisions are opinions based not fact

Ive always said it wont work in football. 

Every decision a ref makes is opinion based. VAR gives them the chance to make it from a more informed point of view.

The problem is the implementation of it, not the idea itself.

As with most things in life, people always fight change. Heck we'd still have pass backs if we tried to change that law these days

The trouble VAR has now is this cluster f*&k start has made it near impossible to come back from.

There are 2 aspects, both of which split opinion, the application of VAR and the theory of it being used.

For me, the grey areas of the system, the communication, time etc can all be improved but that isnt even my bug bear with it.

I dont think it can work perfectly, as you see with Tottenhams wrongly disallowed goal, someone has seen something that has baffled basically everyone else, its subjective.

But its the fact that it ruins the moment when you score a goal if you have to wait to see if it is allowed. It kills the emotion. 

I would rather accept that mistakes will be made.

Edited by roversfan99

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Different sports. 

Alot of football decisions are opinions based not fact

Ive always said it wont work in football. 

Rules are rules, they aren’t down to interpretation. Offside is still offside, the goal line is still the goal line, if all the ball is over it, it’s a goal.

If it was applied as quickly as in other sports, it would work without upsetting the flow of the game. No messing.

VAR has nothing to do with the ball being over the line. That's s successful black and white system not a game destroying shambles based on interpretation.

Offside USED TO BE offside. Now there's more shades of grey than one of John Majors jumpers. Passive, active, 1st phase, 2nd phase, out of phase, interfering, not interfering etc etc. That's without getting into penalty decision that are just pure opinion. Yes it's the same as the ref making an instant decision but now it takes 5 minutes of pure ineptitude to come to the wrong decision. It's been a farce so far, a complete Carry on Film piece of garbage.

Fck the money, save the sport.

22 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Rules are rules, they aren’t down to interpretation. Offside is still offside, the goal line is still the goal line, if all the ball is over it, it’s a goal.

If it was applied as quickly as in other sports, it would work without upsetting the flow of the game. No messing.

the offside rule is more complicated than ever 

Goal line decisions is nothing to do with VAR 

Whether its a foul or not is not a Simple decision at all. 

but the VAR isn't quick, suggest you look at how badly the systems are in Germany and Italy and how fed up fans are already. I did post a link to the Germany fans being fed up

The Referee on the pitch should be the only person to initiate the use of VAR. He knows is he or his Assistants on the pitch sides might have missed something.

I do not like its use to investigate every goal scored and then look for reasons to disallow, as in Lamela's perfectly good goal being struck off.

Anyway the rules boys decide tomorrow on its future and if we see it in Russia.

Personally I hate it. Even if it worked properly and it clearly doesn't yet. It takes the joy out of scoring a goal and fundamentally changes how we watch a game, it might be okay if your watching at home but in the stadium it must be awful.

I'm all for helping out referees but this isn't the way for me. Things i'd try:-

- Pay referees more money 

- Try to create a larger pool of Referees (allowing you to promote an relegate them)

- Try to encourage less criticism of referees by managers

- Actually sort out how players interact with the Referee on the field, punish abuse and crowding  harshly and it will go away.

Where I think Technology can be used to help is for Red cards with dangerous tackles if this can be limited to (30 seconds) and with offsides, there must be the technology available to tell whether a player is offside or not that can work within 10 seconds as sometimes its borderline impossible for the officials. It would then be upto the official to decide whether that player is interfering with play. For it to work it would have to be a message in the linesmans ear with a correction not this stop and refer stuff.

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43256551

It appears there is still some nervousness with the PL Chairmen and according to this article won't be happening next season. I wonder how much it has cost and how that money could have been better spent on improving facilities for youngsters who have to endure poor conditions sometimes.

• Moderation Lead
13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

the offside rule is more complicated than ever 

Goal line decisions is nothing to do with VAR 

Whether its a foul or not is not a Simple decision at all. 

but the VAR isn't quick, suggest you look at how badly the systems are in Germany and Italy and how fed up fans are already. I did post a link to the Germany fans being fed up

Then don't use VAR, use Hawkeye or something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Then don't use VAR, use Hawkeye or something else.

use hawkeye for penalty calls how does that work then? 

offside yes very possible but you cant keep stopping the game 

I feel that fans in Germany and Italia don't want it involved in football, and with fans at Wembely booing each time the system was being used

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Personally I hate it. Even if it worked properly and it clearly doesn't yet. It takes the joy out of scoring a goal and fundamentally changes how we watch a game, it might be okay if your watching at home but in the stadium it must be awful.

Agree 100%. It's the high that you feel after your team scores which makes football so special. I watch a lot of rugby league, and whilst I see the value of video refs in a game which has a lot more technical offences, even there so much of the feeling you should get once your team scores has been dampened by the time any points have been awarded.

Thinking of some of the memories I have watching Rovers that would've lost their edge, I sincerely hope this dies a death before it gets going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43256551

It appears there is still some nervousness with the PL Chairmen and according to this article won't be happening next season. I wonder how much it has cost and how that money could have been better spent on improving facilities for youngsters who have to endure poor conditions sometimes.

From that article it looks like IFAB will approve VAR tomorrow and open the way for FIFA to use it at Russia 2018.

Could be a comedy gold summer.

• 4 weeks later...

VAR strikes again to rob a well earned win from England against Italy. It’s not going to work if referees simply aren’t competent. Even the Italy players claimed for and got the corner award prior to “someone” wanting the ref to review it. The manufacturer? FIFA?

The danger is that the officials are under instructions to make use of the technology. It hadn’t been called on all night and when it was consulted it was for a very soft penalty on the back of two players coming together and one stepping on another’s foot.

Let’s hope it doesn’t ruin the World Cup.

I think we are now being asked to accept a different version of football from one we are all used to. One where an innocuous “foul” inside the box will now be treated exactly the same as those innocuous (but not game changing ones) outside the box. Normally it has to be a little more clear cut than that.

Trouble is that with Pandora’s box now open, every single coming together of players in the box now has to be referred to VAR.

The controversy will come along now if referees are inconsistent about which ones they refer and which they don’t.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1