BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tony's Transfer Record

So, we're now halfway through the season and the transfer window has come round again. As we consider who we'd like to buy I thought it'd be good to have a think on how much confidence we have in TM to get it right and sign some good 'uns, by reflecting on his last transfer window. Whilst players can turn around their form in the second half of a season, generally by and large, in half a season they've begun to find their level and you've got a good idea of how a player is going to perform for your club long term. So with this in mind I thought it'd be good to share and get others' thoughts on how they feel we did in the last transfer window under TM.

My thoughts and ratings are as follows:

Samuel - 7 I quite like the guy. A bit different to Graham, offers a bit more pace, and has grabbed us some goals. Not cemented his place, but looks a useful signing capable of scoring goals at this level.

Dack - 9 After a slow start, Dack has been excellent for us; goals, assists and excitement. Not a 10 as he's pretty limited in a 4-4-2 which we sometimes play.

Gladwin - 1 As a kid I wanted to play for Blackburn Rovers. As a not-so-fit 34 year old Gladwin encourages me that I perhaps shouldn't give up on that dream yet. Aside from this I don't know what he contributes towards Rovers. Awful signing.

Antonsson - 6.5 Really didn't know what to put for him. Looking at his stats, he's around an 8. When I watch him play he looks about a 4 not offering much. Despite few attributes he has managed to score and assist a few making him a decent signing. I've knocked off a point though as he we signed as a striker which is a position he can't really play as he's only looks ok at wide left.

Whittingham - 3  Doesn't really justify the wages we're paying him. A few decent cameos but hasn't imposed himself or contributed to the team anywhere near as much as he should have. Not enough assists or goals, or even getting us to tick a la Tugay. Whilst he was never going to be that good, I had hoped - and he needed to be - more than just an ok player. Poor signing.

Smallwood - 10. Outside of buying me a Ferrari I'm not sure what more he could do to be a great signing.

Chapman - 8. Just what we need, pace, trickery, excitement and creating chances. Not used very well by TM but that's another gripe. As a signing he has a good shout.

Harper - 3. Waste of space not really imposed himself at all. And given the competition has been a limited Whitingham and a limited and injured Evans you'd like to think anyone half decent would have made the second cm spot their own.

Caddis - 5.  Too immobile for my liking. Decent back up but think it's no surprise we started doing better when he was out of the team. Poor mobility leaves us vulnerable to pace and offers nothing going forward, which isn't a great mix with Bennett being not the most creative, leaving a pretty limited right side of the pitch. An ok back up and cheap but not really adding much to the team.

Hart - 3. Not sure what he offers. At least he's our own so in the unlikely event he develops in 3 years time we may see some benefit.

Downing - 8. Cheap back up but become pretty integral. Admittedly being an upgrade on Ward is not much of an achievement but Downing has managed it well. We're still shipping a few silly goals so would struggle to give a higher rating but generally an excellent value for money signing.

Leuitweiler (sp - who cares, he never plays) - 6. Good reviews from old club but looked pretty average on the few times he has played. Not great, but only a backup, and better than Steele.  

By my calculation that gives an average of 5.79 for each signing - or a 6 being generous. This (highly scientific) method suggests to me that overall any signings we make won't harm or make us any worse, but nor will they massively improve the team. Looking at the list as a whole it also suggests that  TM has been very boom and bust with his signings. They work out really well or really badly, there isn't much middle ground, although ironically that probably means for each good signing we make that improves us, a poor one will peg us back.

Overall it confirms my thoughts TM is a decent but not great manager, and that I shouldn't be too excited this window. But what do others think?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

So, we're now halfway through the season and the transfer window has come round again. As we consider who we'd like to buy I thought it'd be good to have a think on how much confidence we have in TM to get it right and sign some good 'uns, by reflecting on his last transfer window. Whilst players can turn around their form in the second half of a season, generally by and large, in half a season they've begun to find their level and you've got a good idea of how a player is going to perform for your club long term. So with this in mind I thought it'd be good to share and get others' thoughts on how they feel we did in the last transfer window under TM.

Samuel - 7 I quite like the guy. A bit different to Graham, offers a bit more pace, and has grabbed us some goals. Not cemented his place, but looks a useful signing capable of scoring goals at this level.

Dack - 9 After a slow start, Dack has been excellent for us; goals, assists and excitement. Not a 10 as he's pretty limited in a 4-4-2 which we sometimes play.

Gladwin - 1 As a kid I wanted to play for Blackburn Rovers. As a not-so-fit 34 year old Gladwin encourages me that I perhaps shouldn't give up on that dream yet. Aside from this I don't know what he contributes towards Rovers. Awful signing.

Antonsson - 6.5 Really didn't know what to put for him. Looking at his stats, he's around an 8. When I watch him play he looks about a 4 not offering much. Despite few attributes he has managed to score and assist a few making him a decent signing. I've knocked off a point though as he we signed as a striker which is a position he can't really play as he's only looks ok at wide left.

Whittingham - 3  Doesn't really justify the wages we're paying him. A few decent cameos but hasn't imposed himself or contributed to the team anywhere near as much as he should have. Not enough assists or goals, or even getting us to tick a la Tugay. Whilst he was never going to be that good, I had hoped - and he needed to be - more than just an ok player. Poor signing.

Smallwood - 10. Outside of buying me a Ferrari I'm not sure what more he could do to be a great signing.

Chapman - 8. Just what we need, pace, trickery, excitement and creating chances. Not used very well by TM but that's another gripe. As a signing he has a good shout.

Harper - 3. Waste of space not really imposed himself at all. And given the competition has been a limited Whitingham and a limited and injured Evans you'd like to think anyone half decent would have made the second cm spot their own.

Caddis - 5.  Too immobile for my liking. Decent back up but think it's no surprise we started doing better when he was out of the team. Poor mobility leaves us vulnerable to pace and offers nothing going forward, which isn't a great mix with Bennett being not the most creative, leaving a pretty limited right side of the pitch. An ok back up and cheap but not really adding much to the team.

Hart - 3. Not sure what he offers. At least he's our own so in the unlikely event he develops in 3 years time we may see some benefit.

Downing - 8. Cheap back up but become pretty integral. Admittedly being an upgrade on Ward is not much of an achievement but Downing has managed it well. We're still shipping a few silly goals so would struggle to give a higher rating but generally an excellent value for money signing.

Leuitweiler (sp - who cares, he never plays) - 6. Good reviews from old club but looked pretty average on the few times he has played. Not great, but only a backup, and better than Steele.  

By my calculation that gives an average of 5.79 for each signing - or a 6 being generous. This (highly scientific) method suggests to me that overall any signings we make won't harm or make us any worse, but nor will they massively improve the team. Looking at the list as a whole it also suggests that  TM has been very boom and bust with his signings. They work out really well or really badly, there isn't much middle ground, although ironically that probably means for each good signing we make that improves us, a poor one will peg us back.

Overall it confirms my thoughts TM is a decent but not great manager, and that I shouldn't be too excited this window. But what do others think?

I think you've summed it up very nicely, 

46 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Fair enough scores. I would give Harper a 2 and Whittingham a 5 though. No way they are the same rating. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Great post and have to say I agree with all of it. its pretty much 50-50 with his signing so far. SOme have been excellent while some have been shockingly poor.

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Also a bit harsh docking Antonnsson because he is playing out of position. In many ways, we are luck he was flexible enough to do this. I have read a few posters compare him to Rhodes. Can you picture Rhodes playing on the wing? 

i think the Rhodes comparison is more to do with finishing and lack of strength. He is more mobile than Rhodes and has a bit more pace.

if he was anything like Rhodes he would be upfront surely?

50/50 at worst, 60/40 at best so not bad really I suppose on a par with most average managers.

Yes he got a sizeable fee to spend and it was wisely used on Dack so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say if he got another one off good fee to spend he'd use it wisely again.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

50/50 at worst, 60/40 at best so not bad really I suppose on a par with most average managers.

Yes he got a sizeable fee to spend and it was wisely used on Dack so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say if he got another one off good fee to spend he'd use it wisely again.

Yeah there is a few 'in the middle' like Samuel and Antonnssen but I would say the rest are either great or awful. 

Agree that he spent money well on Dack, bit of a gamble after a poor season by his standards the season before but he seems to enjoy playing for a club going for promotion and that was rarely going to happen at the Gils.

On the flip side though - jusry still out on the 500k? he spent on Samuel. Could that have bought a better striker for this league? I think it could have. he could still prove me wrong but after a decent start he seems to have stalled and i don't see him being much better than Nuttall who we got for nothing.

Whittingham is a big disappointment and while he hasn't been awful as such, he definitely has not been as good as he should have been at this level. We are stiffed for another two years on that one as well and he will be on some of the largest wages in the squad. We do not seem to do very well when signing the older players do we? he could still come good but I just dont see it happening.  

Hard to quibble with any of those ratings too much. A fine summary! You're missing Nuttall, but I think it was reported that was a Damian Johnson signing more than anything (and Nuttall's been a mixed bag)

I'd suggest Mowbray should also be given some credit for who we managed to hang on to during the transfer window too (how much of that was due to Mowbray's influence, lack of interest from other clubs, us getting "lucky" that Lenihan was injured... hard to say). Also a touch of credit for shipping Steele out for £500k (who appears to have shit the bed even further at Sunderland)

Also need to weight the signings in some respect. Whittingham's been a bit of a disappointment, if not a disaster, but he was also signed with the expectation of being a heavily-relied on starter, so him being a 3/10 signing (I'd argue he's been more like a 5, but that's quibbling), is more consequential than Harper or Hart being 3s. Samuel's been decent, but also perhaps a bit under expectations given his reported transfer fee. In contrast, Dack and Smallwood have been excellent signings and have been eating key minutes throughout as expected (remember when people were complaining about Dack not being fully fit at the start of the year, and having the audacity to go to a nightclub - how things change!)

As a quick go at it where I put the signings into expectation/cost 'tiers' (and assign my own ratings - not much different than yours)

First tier: Dack 9, Samuel 6, Whittingham 4.5, Smallwood 9.5

Second tier: Gladwin 1, Caddis 5, Chapman 8, Antonsson 7, Downing 8

Third tier: Harper 2, Hart 2, Nuttall 6.5, Leutwiler 5.5

Weighting the first tiers as 5/5, second tiers as 3/5, and third tiers as 1/5, gives 3.82/5 = 7.6/10

Just now, RoverCanada said:

Hard to quibble with any of those ratings too much. A fine summary! You're missing Nuttall, but I think it was reported that was a Damian Johnson signing more than anything (and Nuttall's been a mixed bag)

I'd suggest Mowbray should also be given some credit for who we managed to hang on to during the transfer window too (how much of that was due to Mowbray's influence, lack of interest from other clubs, us getting "lucky" that Lenihan was injured... hard to say). Also a touch of credit for shipping Steele out for £500k (who appears to have shit the bed even further at Sunderland)

Also need to weight the signings in some respect. Whittingham's been a bit of a disappointment, if not a disaster, but he was also signed with the expectation of being a heavily-relied on starter, so him being a 3/10 signing (I'd argue he's been more like a 5, but that's quibbling), is more consequential than Harper or Hart being 3s. Samuel's been decent, but also perhaps a bit under expectations given his reported transfer fee. In contrast, Dack and Smallwood have been excellent signings and have been eating key minutes throughout as expected (remember when people were complaining about Dack not being fully fit at the start of the year, and having the audacity to go to a nightclub - how things change!)

As a quick go at it where I put the signings into expectation/cost 'tiers' (and assign my own ratings - not much different than yours)

First tier: Dack 9, Samuel 6, Whittingham 4.5, Smallwood 9.5

Second tier: Gladwin 1, Caddis 5, Chapman 8, Antonsson 7, Downing 8

Third tier: Harper 2, Hart 2, Nuttall 6.5, Leutwiler 5.5

Weighting the first tiers as 5/5, second tiers as 3/5, and third tiers as 1/5, gives 3.82/5 = 7.6/10

You make a good point about who we hung on to so credit needs to be given there. As you mentioned though, whether this was through design and desire or through fortune we will never quite know.

Getting rid of Steele and even getting 500k for him was pure genius haha. A lot of deadwood off the books too and i would say we dont have that much deadwood these days but i feel Gladwin and Hart will quickly fill that void.

13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah there is a few 'in the middle' like Samuel and Antonnssen but I would say the rest are either great or awful. 

Agree that he spent money well on Dack, bit of a gamble after a poor season by his standards the season before but he seems to enjoy playing for a club going for promotion and that was rarely going to happen at the Gils.

On the flip side though - jusry still out on the 500k? he spent on Samuel. Could that have bought a better striker for this league? I think it could have. he could still prove me wrong but after a decent start he seems to have stalled and i don't see him being much better than Nuttall who we got for nothing.

Whittingham is a big disappointment and while he hasn't been awful as such, he definitely has not been as good as he should have been at this level. We are stiffed for another two years on that one as well and he will be on some of the largest wages in the squad. We do not seem to do very well when signing the older players do we? he could still come good but I just dont see it happening.  

Yeah it's fine line because if you took Dack out of it things wouldn't look great but it shows the owners hopefully that if you spend a bit In this league you should get something for the money.

Agree on Samuel but I've cut him slack there because i'm assuming the money got for Steele covered that so it's a slight upgrade to the squad imo but yes maybe would have been better on a big guy from this division as a target man.

Whittingham was a poor one all things considered but that's down to him himself imo i'm sure they expected better.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

The only matrix I am using for judging Mowbray is what happens at the end of the season.

If we achieve promotion then he has succeeded and should continue.  If we fail to achieve promotion then he has failed and should be resign/be sacked.=

Quite true but this is not really judging TM on the whole and just his transfer dealings.

8 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Quite true but this is not really judging TM on the whole and just his transfer dealings.

Yes agree.  The summary of transfers is fair.  I would hope that likes of Whittingham step it up in the second half of the season as he should with his experience be able to better handle the pressure situation of chasing promotion particularly if we have to try and go up via the playoffs.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

Yes agree.  The summary of transfers is fair.  I would hope that likes of Whittingham step it up in the second half of the season as he should with his experience be able to better handle the pressure situation of chasing promotion particularly if we have to try and go up via the playoffs.

Playoffs is failure for me - even if we do manage to go up via them. Shrewsbury have been performing well above expectations but if we cannot finish above a club that finished 18th in this league last season after our transfer business and the wages that we are paying out - it can only be seen as failure.

Agree on  Whittingham - probably the biggest disappointment with regards to expectations. he was supposed to be our marquee signing alongside Dack.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't really argue with any of those scores. No manager gets every signing right. Even Kenny signed a few duds. It's when you're signing more duds than success stories you're in trouble. We've had managers in the past who seemed to specialise in signing duds - Roy Boy for one !

Roy was and is an overated over complicated clown who had zero idea of the market he was entering back in England then, my god did he waste a chunk of Jacks fortune. Even Kiddo despite being clueless on the playing side got Matty through the door and I think Gillespie who was handy to have around.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Playoffs is failure for me - even if we do manage to go up via them. Shrewsbury have been performing well above expectations but if we cannot finish above a club that finished 18th in this league last season after our transfer business and the wages that we are paying out - it can only be seen as failure.

Agree on  Whittingham - probably the biggest disappointment with regards to expectations. he was supposed to be our marquee signing alongside Dack.

What is the relevance of Shrewsbury's form last season? It could be argued that a relegation battle galvanises teams - witness Cardiff and Bristol City, both involved in the relegation fight with us last season, and now near the top of the Championship. Shrewsbury are 2nd on merit

Promotion is the goal this season, and we go up via the playoffs then it will have been a successful season. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

What is the relevance of Shrewsbury's form last season? It could be argued that a relegation battle galvanises teams - witness Cardiff and Bristol City, both involved in the relegation fight with us last season, and now near the top of the Championship. Shrewsbury are 2nd on merit

Promotion is the goal this season, and we go up via the playoffs then it will have been a successful season. 

I agree Jim. From what I understand Shrewsbury started turning their season around getting out of the relegation zone last season. This season they've just carried on where they left off.

if we go up via the play offs I'll be thrilled  but I'd prefer not to have to do it that way.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Very similar to Leicester. Almost relegated,go on an amazing run to stay up,then continue it into the following season. 

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

You make a good point about who we hung on to so credit needs to be given there. As you mentioned though, whether this was through design and desire or through fortune we will never quite know.

Getting rid of Steele and even getting 500k for him was pure genius haha. A lot of deadwood off the books too and i would say we dont have that much deadwood these days but i feel Gladwin and Hart will quickly fill that void.

Just getting someone to pay for steel made it a good transfare window for him, it paid for samuel  and his wages would be less than steels  win win for me.

• Backroom
7 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Even agreeing with all this (an eloquent and well-written post, Blue Blood), I think we should consider the situation for each signing too.

Most signings were made on a sound basis (even Gladwin as back up for Dack potentially could've worked even though it didn't). Similarly, Whittingham could've turned into a League 1 Berkovic type had it worked).

The only signings that made no sense were Hart (Doyle waiting in the wings) and Harper (Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Travis knocking on the door). These 2 signings are the only negatives in what thought was a very good window.

I still believe our current squad is stronger than last season's.

It should be remembered TM had prior knowledge of having worked with Smallwood and Downing so apart from Dack players not previously worked with has been average to poor at best. Conversely that statistic suggests Armstrong will be a good un

Archived