BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

10 hours ago, philipl said:

Armstrong's pace and control seal it for me.

None too shabby getting it on target or playing others in when in dangerous positions either.

Sign him up if we can.

He only looks effective when played centrally. A good finisher but lack of height means he certainly needs a partner. I suspect he can only be a sub in the Championship when chasing a game that's become stretched. Worth taking again on loan but not a purchase.

• Like 2

He's a threat only when he's used correctly which mostly he hasn't been and yet again it's an example of what you can get away with in league 1 with a strong squad but will bite you right on the ass in the Championship quite often.

Wouldn't mind him on loan again but to use as a central striker maybe starting at home centrally or coming on up front away when counter attacking.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alcd said:

He only looks effective when played centrally. A good finisher but lack of height means he certainly needs a partner. I suspect he can only be a sub in the Championship when chasing a game that's become stretched. Worth taking again on loan but not a purchase.

I have thought this for some time. Its almost as if he is a generation too late. 15 years ago he could well be plying his trade in the PL back when front twos were commonplace. Not too disimilar to a Michael Owen type.

With one up top being practically the norm these days, small nippy players like him will find it difficult as they do not have the physicality to play the lone role and need a partner.

If I were him, I would do my best to learn and master the inside forward role that he has now as getting a striking berth is going to be tough for him.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I have thought this for some time. Its almost as if he is a generation too late. 15 years ago he could well be plying his trade in the PL back when front twos were commonplace. Not too disimilar to a Michael Owen type.

With one up top being practically the norm these days, small nippy players like him will find it difficult as they do not have the physicality to play the lone role and need a partner.

If I were him, I would do my best to learn and master the inside forward role that he has now as getting a striking berth is going to be tough for him.

Exactly! Good post

• 4 weeks later...

England struggled a bit in that game and were behind at half time. They drew level in the second half and got a late winner, after the Chinese had gone down to ten men, close to the end. The winner was set up by Armstrong, with a ball played across the area and tucked in at the far post by Abraham

I like Armstrong a lot & thought he was a breath of fresh air when he signed in January. That said, he struggled in the last month or so & missed a few gilt edged chances during then, but there's clearly quality there not just pace. I see the comparisons with Michael Owen (who was a better finisher) and also Craig Bellamy. He could do worse than model himself on the latter; many teams will come to Ewood next season (esp in the first half of it) thinking they can get at us and play a high line, rather than pack the defence & hit us on the break like happened painfully often the season just gone. The way Bellamy played for us was nothing short of sensational, so often breaking off the shoulder from the half way line, and if we can find a role for him in the side next season much like Bellamy had, who can exploit a high line via medium distance passes from midfield or the back, he'd be a real asset as an alternative to a target man style CF.

Oh, and we'd also need a new CM to see and make those passes; I'm not sure our current options have the speed of thought, vision or accuracy to link up with Arma in that way too often. I don't see enough football beyond Rovers to know who might realistically fulfil that role tho, any ideas? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

, and we'd also need a new CM to see and make those passes; I'm not sure our current options have the speed of thought, vision or accuracy to link up with Arma in that way too often. I don't see enough football beyond Rovers to know who might realistically fulfil that role tho, any ideas? 

A few have mentioned Jon Nolan from Shrewsbury, but I watched him give the ball away so many times yesterday that I’d rather us look elsewhere.

What about Jack Byrne from Oldham? Young, hungry and likely cheap - released after coming through the youth ranks at city, also played for all the Roi youth teams. When I watched him away at boundary park, he ran the show. Energetic, had bite and variation of pass.

4 minutes ago, Biz said:

A few have mentioned Jon Nolan from Shrewsbury, but I watched him give the ball away so many times yesterday that I’d rather us look elsewhere.

What about Jack Byrne from Oldham? Young, hungry and likely cheap - released after coming through the youth ranks at city, also played for all the Roi youth teams. When I watched him away at boundary park, he ran the show. Energetic, had bite and variation of pass.

You can’t write off what Nolan did this season on the back of one game, surely?

And the same Jack Byrne who has already been with us and spent most of his time warming up on the touchline?

Or have I missed a subtle spoof post? :unsure:

I was quite excited when Coyle signed him, but it obviously didn't work out. He seems to fit TM's bill in terms of being young, hungry & eager to achieve, but I'm not sure if that previous stint wouldn't put off both parties... if the budget is as positive as Mowbray & Waggott have intimated, we may be able to aim higher for someone proven at Championship level.

Edited by Atko's Engine

14 minutes ago, Biz said:

Good shout but I would like a bit more height in our team. He would be another on the short side.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And the same Jack Byrne who has already been with us and spent most of his time warming up on the touchline?

He looked to be in a different class at Oldham Stuart. We couldn't get near him.

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ve watched them both a similar amount of times and I prefer Byrne.

He did spend a year here before, but I can’t remember him getting a chance so not able to completely write off.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He looked to be in a different class at Oldham Stuart. We couldn't get near him.

I’m sure he had a personal point to prove against us but look where Oldham are. Maybe he has found his level?

I’d be very surprised if he came back and did anything for us in the Championship.

Just now, Biz said:

I’ve watched them both a similar amount of times and I prefer Byrne.

He did spend a year here before, but I can’t remember him getting a chance so not able to completely write off.

I think a year is long enough to get a view. He wasn’t getting into a very poor Rovers side who got relegated. I never like bringing back players - although I did like the phonetic link! :rover:

Edited by Stuart
Did!

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Even Bennett didn’t get in the team under that twerp, I wouldn’t read anything into it. Byrne was the best midfielder I saw against us last season, I would give him another go.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I wouldn't sign Burne at all. massive attitude problems and thinks he better than he is. another Nick Powell. I would be massive disappointed if we signed him. from media reports and Tom's post on here about us signing Davenport from City it looks like he is the one centre midfield we need.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Another Nick Powell? You mean the guy who scored 15 goals and was the centrepiece the best team in League One last season? The guy who is most closely compared (but secondary ?) to Bradley Dack?

I haven't really read about any attitude problems regarding Powell, but he seems to have the attitude that matters - a winning one. It's also no secret that Byrne was a shining light in a very poor team, much like Dack was at Gillingham before we signed him. The point is that so-called attitude problems are irrelevant if they deliver for the club. Ronaldo has an attitude problem, but given the chance, maybe we should pass up on signing him.

I wouldnt sign Byrne if I was in control. 

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I haven't really read about any attitude problems regarding Powell, but he seems to have the attitude that matters - a winning one

His attitude is so bad that when Brighton bid £10m he told we Wigan he wanted to stay because he was enjoying his football, even though he could have quadrupled his wages. He's the opposite of Duffy.