BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Agreed. What a special player. I did mention that when I was drafting the post but I felt it took away from the point I was making. In the modern game he wouldn’t have been the Ronaldo or Shearer equivalent, more like the Wayne Rooney or even Jermain Defoe.

That is a little unkind though and he was certainly at the top of his game and a giant amongst his peers. A shame he didn’t play in the WC Final. (Unless you are Geoff Hurst of course!)

Nearest player to Jimmy Greaves in recent times would be Micheal Owen.

If he works on his finishing he could become a world class player,  he was outstanding against hull and a little more sharper in front of goal and he would of bagged one or two, his pace frightened the hell out of hill

Hopefully he flourishes under Mowbray and helps  us to promotion in the next season or two

22 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

If he works on his finishing he could become a world class player,  he was outstanding against hull and a little more sharper in front of goal and he would of bagged one or two, his pace frightened the hell out of hill

Hopefully he flourishes under Mowbray and helps  us to promotion in the next season or two

World class? 

• 4 months later...

Been one of his biggest critics this season but credit where its due - he has found a good bit of form in recent matches. What is it in terms of numbers recently (assists and goals)? 

Edited by JacknOry

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

The pace he showed for the penalty was insane we really don’t make the most of that 

I think the same pretty much every game. Pace is undoubtedly his asset but he/other players don't use it enough. Bennett's ball was a peach which got him in behind for the second. One school of thought is that he is far stronger on the right which I agree with. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I think the same pretty much every game. Pace is undoubtedly his asset but he/other players don't use it enough. Bennett's ball was a peach which got him in behind for the second. One school of thought is that he is far stronger on the right which I agree with. 

His goal against MK Dons coming in off the right was excellent last season. Bennett LW (helping out Bell) and Arma RW could be the way to go.

Agreed we don't make the most of AA's pace. I don't think it was a coincidence that he looked better on the right,  after he spent the first 45 mins losing the ball on the left like he does most weeks. When you're that quick you shouldn't be having to switch back on to your good foot all the time and losing momentum. Just put the ball between the left centre half and left back and let him run on to it. 

It's the obvious things that make me question Mowbray at times. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

His goal against MK Dons coming in off the right was excellent last season. Bennett LW (helping out Bell) and Arma RW could be the way to go.

I was going to mention his overall performance at MK which I thought was his best in a Rovers shirt. He was almost unplayable in the first half and scored twice.

Yesterday's second goal was a real old time goal. Ronnie used to play Bryan Douglas into that position often with the ball inside the full back. A sharp low cross into the area and Pickering or McEvoy left with a tap in. It's still a killer move.

I suppose if Dougie was playing now he'd be stuck out on the left wing coming inside all the time !

• Like 1

Great to see the progression in recent weeks.Hopefully banishing any suggestion that league one is his level.

Scoring goals, setting up goals, but increasingly making the right decisions in general play. He's been pretty unlucky with some finishes at Ewood this season too. Just over a million quid is looking like a great bit of business in today's market.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

His pace should be utilised playing inside left or right not wide or as a No.9. His pace will unsettle central defenders when he runs the inside channels or in a sprint over the top. The problem for Mowbray is to accomodate Armstrong, Graham and Dack centrally without losing width.

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yesterday's second goal was a real old time goal. Ronnie used to play Bryan Douglas into that position often with the ball inside the full back. A sharp low cross into the area and Pickering or McEvoy left with a tap in. It's still a killer move.

I suppose if Dougie was playing now he'd be stuck out on the left wing coming inside all the time !

I was talking about this with father in the Ewood club before the game and we were discussing how Shelvey is so good at it. A simple sharp move pinging the ball forward with pace between a full back and the centre half and let a forward or winger run onto it for a cross or shot. 

When the much maligned Benno (in Revidge quarters) did it for Armstrong’s cross and Nuttalls finish I wondered why we don’t do it more often.  

• 10 months later...

Adam Armstrong is such a strange one.

Great Goal today, but was not as confident as Bradley Johnson he'd finish it :P

Some days he's unplayable (especially when we where in League one). More often though he's awful. 

it's been nearly 2 years now, what do we think of him? Was he a good buy?

For what it's worth I still think he's a player who it'll suddenly all click for and he'll become amazing. A little like the last 6 months we had of josh King.

Edit: Actually the more I think about it he's like the player version of Tony Mowbray. Almost amazing but decision making let's him down and goes on these purple patches that give you such hope!

Edited by bboy

Just now, bboy said:

Adam Armstrong is such a strange one.

Great Goal today, but was not as confident as Bradley Johnson he'd finish it :P

Some days he's unplayable (especially when we where in League one). More often though he's awful. 

it's been nearly 2 years now, what do we think of him? Was he a good buy?

For what it's worth I still think he's a player who it'll suddenly all click for and he'll become amazing. A little like the last 6 months we had of josh King.

Edit: Actually the more I think about it he's like the player version of Tony Mowbray. Almost amazing but decision making let's him down and goes on these purple patches that give you such hope!

A victim of the death of 442. 

Pacey, nippy little players in the Michael Owen mold that can finish are not suited to modern football. he has pace and can finish like he has shown - but he has little else. i am pleased that he seems to be progressing and developing as a wide forward though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

A victim of the death of 442. 

Pacey, nippy little players in the Michael Owen mold that can finish are not suited to modern football. he has pace and can finish like he has shown - but he has little else. i am pleased that he seems to be progressing and developing as a wide forward though.

Yep, playing upfront off a big target man would get the most out of him. 

I think he's currently shoehorned into the side because he has a bit of pace. 

• Like 2