BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fleetwood

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

I think Bennett is the secret captain in the camp. He seems to understand, maybe even appreciate, what it means to play for Blackburn Rovers. He has been exactly what the fans need: someone who plays with his heart on his sleeve and is happy to be outspoken as a player. Whether on Twitter or in real life. He has made a connection with the fans at a time when we have needed one.

One of my favourite players.

Came over and gave his shirt to a fan after the game. The only player to do so.

I thought we were going to lose that after Charlie's blunder, we lost the plot for a good fifteen minutes but managed to hang in.

I'm starting to get the feeling I had in the mid 90's, the feeling that we aren't going to lose against anyone.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Came over and gave his shirt to a fan after the game. The only player to do so.

I thought we were going to lose that after Charlie's blunder, we lost the plot for a good fifteen minutes but managed to hang in.

I'm starting to get the feeling I had in the mid 90's, the feeling that we aren't going to lose against anyone.

3 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Came over and gave his shirt to a fan after the game. The only player to do so

Yes, I noticed that as well. Don't rate him at all on the pitch but that was a really nice touch.

Team spirit seems top notch at the moment, the way we celebrated the goal, the celebrations at the end and the way Raya goes round to hug every player just before kick off.

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I like you thought Payne was a 10 but when he came on today he looks like he can play the wing and be effective

Armstrong I'm less sure about. From what I've seen hes more of a finisher than creative player. With Dack and Graham definite starters I'm not sure how many starts he'll get.

Samuel for all his detractors has looked decent on the right. He beats his man a lot and offers an aerial option, just a shame his crossing is poor.

On balance today I would say Conway is the one who looks like he could lose his spot. Id put Payne in there and leave Armstrong on the bench.

I actually saw it the other way round. Armstrong I thought looked pacey and a threat when he came on. Payne looked over anxious and like he was trying a bit too hard to me but then he was involved in the build up play to the winner.

Hopefully they'll both be useful assets in the run in and I would hope one of them starts ahead of Conway from now on.

Just now, yellowsubmarine said:

Cant fault anyone for their performances today. Thankfully the mistake between Charlie and Raya wasn't too serious - we got away with that. But we will learn. No more silly mistakes like these from now on. Nyambe was TOPS! 

I'd be a bit put out if  i was Raya and the manager was attributing blame for their goal to me. It was 100% down to Mulgrew and as someone else said Raya could quite easily have been sent off if he'd made any contact with their player.

6 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Wonderful, childlike turn of phrase. ☺️

Love it.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd be a bit put out if  i was Raya and the manager was attributing blame for their goal to me. It was 100% down to Mulgrew and as someone else said Raya could quite easily have been sent off if he'd made any contact with their player.

I'd say 50/50 Mulgrew and Williams. Williams should have dealt with it but instead put Mulgrew under pressure, who should've done better.

22 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

With all due respect,watching that video and looking at some (most) Grounds in this Division.....

IN THE NAME OF GOD GET OUR PROUD CLUB OUT OF THIS AWFUL LEAGUE THIS SEASON TONY AND THE TEAM...ITS BLOODY EMBARRASSING!!

:unsure:

Last time I went to Fleetwood for a league match my old man ran the line in a Lancashire Combination match

10 hours ago, gumboots said:

I don't think at the time we were wrong to doubt Mowbray as results and performances were not what we expected or hoped for. Fortunately, and I always hoped it would prove to be so, he turned it round and results, if not always performances, have improved enormously.  I'm delighted it's happened but I'm not embarrassed that at that point in the season I thought we might need to change. I'm not an expert, just a fan. 

At the time we were doubting Mowbray he was busy tinkering with the system and formation, and - rather crucially - it wasn’t working. Many fans were scratching their heads and suggesting what he needed to do.

Lo and behold! He started doing them - like a back four for starters, and taking the game to the opposition (like we had seen at U23 level - even Johnson and Dunn were being lauded).

Suddenly we are on a run and look unbeatable. (Fingers crossed, obvs)

Next minute anyone who doubted Sir Tony was an idiot and Chaddy was right to back the manager simply because he was wearing the badge and hadn’t been sacked - a strategy that was bound to pay off eventually.

I think Jack O has been the bigger man here but lest we forget, we are fighting for second place because of the start Mowbray gave us when we could have been well out in front. This is simply stating a fact.

Where Mowbray does seem to have shone is in his recruitment: Downing, Smallwood, and Dack have all been brilliant. Add in Chapman (mk1), Payne, and Armstrong on first impressions and he has certainly taken his new attacking mantra to heart. The only question mark over him now is in defence and a hard man as CM sub. Yesterday Ward was our only defensive cover. Unless he strengthens this in the next 10 days we may be relying on one of the youth to step up. Matty Platt or the untested Charley Doyle. And the one defender Mowbray has called up was instantly converted to a CM!

Its certainly a love-in for Mowbray at the moment - and rightly so because we are on a fantastic run - but as soon as this run ends, Mowbray will need to not be seduced into tinkering again. The bigger potential for exposure though is an injury to Mulgrew and/or Downing or Smallwood because the cover for either just isn’t there. Either way, the harsh reality of our Venkys-induced situation is that Mowbray will still only earn the plaudits if we are promoted.

Just seen the goals. Williams was at fault equally with Charlie. He'd got all day to do something with the ball, got himself into a tangle and then passed the ball into a more dangerous area to a player who's in a worse position than he was. All he had to do was put the ball out for a throw. Completely failed to take responsibility there.

Charlie then gets the ball and passes completely blindly back to the keeper. He should know that any decent striker would have read that situation as it developed and got into position to take advantage of it. Their guy did.

Great goal from Smallwood, what a signing he's been. We look to be a team now. We have a good shape and a recognisable pattern of play.

10 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I like you thought Payne was a 10 but when he came on today he looks like he can play the wing and be effective

Armstrong I'm less sure about. From what I've seen hes more of a finisher than creative player. With Dack and Graham definite starters I'm not sure how many starts he'll get.

Samuel for all his detractors has looked decent on the right. He beats his man a lot and offers an aerial option, just a shame his crossing is poor.

On balance today I would say Conway is the one who looks like he could lose his spot. Id put Payne in there and leave Armstrong on the bench.

I would say Conway will be replaced with Bell if he can work with Williams it should make the left hand side more secure.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

At the time we were doubting Mowbray he was busy tinkering with the system and formation, and - rather crucially - it wasn’t working. Many fans were scratching their heads and suggesting what he needed to do.

Lo and behold! He started doing them - like a back four for starters, and taking the game to the opposition (like we had seen at U23 level - even Johnson and Dunn were being lauded).

Suddenly we are on a run and look unbeatable. (Fingers crossed, obvs)

Next minute anyone who doubted Sir Tony was an idiot and Chaddy was right to back the manager simply because he was wearing the badge and hadn’t been sacked - a strategy that was bound to pay off eventually.

I think Jack O has been the bigger man here but lest we forget, we are fighting for second place because of the start Mowbray gave us when we could have been well out in front. This is simply stating a fact.

Where Mowbray does seem to have shone is in his recruitment: Downing, Smallwood, and Dack have all been brilliant. Add in Chapman (mk1), Payne, and Armstrong on first impressions and he has certainly taken his new attacking mantra to heart. The only question mark over him now is in defence and a hard man as CM sub. Yesterday Ward was our only defensive cover. Unless he strengthens this in the next 10 days we may be relying on one of the youth to step up. Matty Platt or the untested Charley Doyle. And the one defender Mowbray has called up was instantly converted to a CM!

Its certainly a love-in for Mowbray at the moment - and rightly so because we are on a fantastic run - but as soon as this run ends, Mowbray will need to not be seduced into tinkering again. The bigger potential for exposure though is an injury to Mulgrew and/or Downing or Smallwood because the cover for either just isn’t there. Either way, the harsh reality of our Venkys-induced situation is that Mowbray will still only earn the plaudits if we are promoted.

You,jackoff,bluebell,rv abused me for giving manager like Tony a chance,many many times.

Islanders was good debate with me.

Now you say you had it correct,but you did not,you clearly have no basic idea about how football works,like your friends.

I used to be post on here when sparky was managing,pity the good members have now leave. 

In Tony we trust,some posters do.

Just now, Mark45 said:

You,jackoff,bluebell,rv abused me for giving manager like Tony a chance,many many times.

Now you say you had it correct,but you did not,you clearly have no basic idea about how football works,like your friends.

I used to be post on here when sparky was managing,pity the good members have now leave. 

Who says German don't have a sense of humour.

And nobody abused you. What's German for 'big girls blouse'?

Just now, Mark45 said:

You used to post on here when Hughes was here...?

Pull up a bar stool, we need to fill you in on the last 10 years, which might help you understand.

“Barkeep: whiskey for me and my friend Mark45. Single malt, none of that Jack Daniels shit. Leave the bottle.”

? ? 

One moment yesterday encapsulated the last couple of weeks for me. Smallwood flew into a challenge with the Fleetwood right back which was probably 60/40 in Coyle's favour and the intensity in  Smallwoods challenge was frightening. The ball broke and both players got up and Smallwood's challenge drew a round of applause from us. There seems to be more of an intensity about our play at the moment and a togetherness about the squad which can sometimes be the difference between winning and losing/drawing.

There was a great moment yesterday when Rovers fans were singing to Elliot Ward as he warmed up. At first he seemed embarrassed but then looked pleased and joked with Caddis who was also warming up.

Archived