BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fleetwood

Just now, arbitro said:

One moment yesterday encapsulated the last couple of weeks for me. Smallwood flew into a challenge with the Fleetwood right back which was probably 60/40 in Coyle's favour and the intensity in  Smallwoods challenge was frightening. The ball broke and both players got up and Smallwood's challenge drew a round of applause from us. There seems to be more of an intensity about our play at the moment and a togetherness about the squad which can sometimes be the difference between winning and losing/drawing.

There was a great moment yesterday when Rovers fans were singing to Elliot Ward as he warmed up. At first he seemed embarrassed but then looked pleased and joked with Caddis who was also warming up.

Smallwood's just what we've been short of for years. Somebody who leads by example when it comes to getting stuck in. That shames the less motivated players into following his example. We'll miss him when he's out of the team.

Like I was saying yesterday when you've been running the game and then you gift the opposition an equaliser it can knock you back mentally. If an opponent bangs one into the top corner from 25 yards out you just shrug your shoulders and get on with the game. If you've made a total cock up in possession like we did you can start feeling sorry for yourself as a team. Next thing you know you're 2-1 down. The recent Rovers teams might have crumbled but yesterday we didn't.

It's the players with a winning mentality like Smallwood that make sure you kick on and go on to win the game. I would put Dack in the same boat. Courage on the pitch takes different forms. Showing for the ball and wanting to take the game by the scruff of the neck all the time when the game isn't going your way matters just as much

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There was a great moment yesterday when Rovers fans were singing to Elliot Ward as he warmed up. At first he seemed embarrassed but then looked pleased and joked with Caddis who was also warming up.

Two different songs for him. He was laughing and joking with the fans along the touchline urging us to join in. A lighter moment taken in good humour all round.

40 minutes ago, Mark45 said:

You,jackoff,bluebell,rv abused me for giving manager like Tony a chance,many many times.

Islanders was good debate with me.

Now you say you had it correct,but you did not,you clearly have no basic idea about how football works,like your friends.

I used to be post on here when sparky was managing,pity the good members have now leave. 

In Tony we trust,some posters do.

What was your previous Username, your current one is quite recent.

Your basic writing style is somewhat aggressive, maybe because English is not your native language. The highlighted parts above are however quite deliberate.

Just celebrate our doing well and stop stirring.

1 hour ago, had.e.nuff said:

I would say Conway will be replaced with Bell if he can work with Williams it should make the left hand side more secure.

I can't see how Bell will play on the wing in our current formation. We have just signed Armstrong and Payne who are both top performers at this level, and the only realistic slots they are going to get are out wide. We won't stick Bell (who is a left back or wing back by trade) higher in the pecking order.

My thinking is Bell will be used as a left back. He'll sit on the sidelines till Williams gets injured / goes on a bad run. Think we have signed him as backup as we have no cover there.  

Just now, jim mk2 said:

With regards to the Fleetwood goal, you have to applaud the Fleetwood player for anticipating the backpass. If you watch the video he makes the run long before Mulgrew made his mistake. 

That's what goal scorers do. He could see that Williams was struggling and Charlie wasn't in a good position so he backed his judgement to get into a position to take advantage. If you don't make those runs you never get the chance to score a simple goal. I think Raya had learnt from last week and resisted the temptation to grab the player.

47 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's what goal scorers do. He could see that Williams was struggling and Charlie wasn't in a good position so he backed his judgement to get into a position to take advantage. If you don't make those runs you never get the chance to score a simple goal. I think Raya had learnt from last week and resisted the temptation to grab the player.

Raya did good by letting the man go. We would have struggled with ten men as Fleetwood's second half performance was improved after a halftime bollocking by their manager. Cracking winner by Smallwood. Good to be in top two. 

I was complaining at Mowbray earlier this season when we went away to Oldham and he picked a defensive side, leaving Dack and Chapman on the bench. We seemed to be negative in most games and tactics meant we carried little attacking threat.

Fortunately he's learnt. Can you Imagine him dropping Dack now? 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/sport/football/fleetwood-town/fleetwood-1-blackburn-2-five-things-we-learned-1-8971179

"In my opinion that first half showing was the best performance from an opposition team at Highbury this season"  - Fleetwood journo

A worry that nags at the back of my celebratory mood. Only one goal after such complete supremacy.....

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/sport/football/fleetwood-town/fleetwood-1-blackburn-2-five-things-we-learned-1-8971179

"In my opinion that first half showing was the best performance from an opposition team at Highbury this season"  - Fleetwood journo

Found these quotes interesting about Bell:

though his spell at Highbury certainly divided opinion.

While his crossing was hardly Beckham standard and an end product often lacking

as for all of the lacklustre crosses his defensive play has been top notch this term.

Fleetwood certainly missed his defensive nous and pace out from the back

Seems like the thoughts of him being more likely to be a winger are potentially false.

On 1/19/2018 at 16:38, JacknOry said:

I'm going 1-3 to us.

We seem to perform better away and I feel they will have a bit of a go at us as they need to get a move on if they have aspirations of the playoffs. Depending on who we play, we have some real pace that could be explosive on the counter attack.

Mulgrew, Dack and Armstrong will grab the goals. We will concede another sloppy goal as we always do.

Also going for Doncaster to hold the tired Shrews to 1-1 and we go second on GD.

Not far off - seeing as we are in a told you so mood.

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What was your previous Username, your current one is quite recent.

Your basic writing style is somewhat aggressive, maybe because English is not your native language. The highlighted parts above are however quite deliberate.

Just celebrate our doing well and stop stirring.

Whilst I agree regarding the insults, no need for that, he was pelted by the usual suspects for supporting Mowbray on several threads Asia.  

We used to have more respect for foreign posters regardless of the subject matter, but that seems to have gone out of the window since that other site closed down and dross came over here.

Very sad, but that's progress I guess.

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Whilst I agree regarding the insults, no need for that, he was pelted by the usual suspects for supporting Mowbray on several threads Asia.  

We used to have more respect for foreign posters regardless of the subject matter, but that seems to have gone out of the window since that other site closed down and dross came over here.

Very sad, but that's progress I guess.

That site only had about 4 posters - hence why it was closed. 

Also Gav, you can hardly go on about respect for other posters as you have very little of it. When i first came on here you rounded on me from the off and accused me of being about 13 different posters.

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

We used to have more respect for foreign posters regardless of the subject matter,

He goes to most games, he said so. And his written English was tremendous on his early posts when he came in all guns blazing. I'm sure he's a German living in Germany though.

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

At the time we were doubting Mowbray he was busy tinkering with the system and formation, and - rather crucially - it wasn’t working. Many fans were scratching their heads and suggesting what he needed to do.

Lo and behold! He started doing them - like a back four for starters, and taking the game to the opposition (like we had seen at U23 level - even Johnson and Dunn were being lauded).

Suddenly we are on a run and look unbeatable. (Fingers crossed, obvs)

Next minute anyone who doubted Sir Tony was an idiot and Chaddy was right to back the manager simply because he was wearing the badge and hadn’t been sacked - a strategy that was bound to pay off eventually.

I think Jack O has been the bigger man here but lest we forget, we are fighting for second place because of the start Mowbray gave us when we could have been well out in front. This is simply stating a fact.

Where Mowbray does seem to have shone is in his recruitment: Downing, Smallwood, and Dack have all been brilliant. Add in Chapman (mk1), Payne, and Armstrong on first impressions and he has certainly taken his new attacking mantra to heart. The only question mark over him now is in defence and a hard man as CM sub. Yesterday Ward was our only defensive cover. Unless he strengthens this in the next 10 days we may be relying on one of the youth to step up. Matty Platt or the untested Charley Doyle. And the one defender Mowbray has called up was instantly converted to a CM!

Its certainly a love-in for Mowbray at the moment - and rightly so because we are on a fantastic run - but as soon as this run ends, Mowbray will need to not be seduced into tinkering again. The bigger potential for exposure though is an injury to Mulgrew and/or Downing or Smallwood because the cover for either just isn’t there. Either way, the harsh reality of our Venkys-induced situation is that Mowbray will still only earn the plaudits if we are promoted.

Mowbray tinkered with the system at the start of the season and the first 2 games then he settled on a back 4 and results picked up. since the Oldham game the Players performances and gone up by 2 levels and Bennett and Mulgrew are leading this team on the field. 

Stuart, I have full Confidence that Mowbray would get it right and get us promote from this league. I always like him since day 1 as he talks so well and sensible. This season has been the most enjoyable since the days of Mark Hughes reign here as manager. Fans are enjoying it and great to hear them in good voice and signing so passionately and loud. 

Wigan and Shrewsbury have been excellent this season and surprise how both have stay in the top 2 so long. But now injuries are happening and both are struggling. also think Wigan FA Cup might get in the way of their promotion push. 

On Recruitment, Mowbray has been good and signed players to fit into a certain formation like Dack, Smallwood. Downing has been excellent since coming into the team. With Lenihan coming back into the first team we don't need another centre back. 

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He goes to most games, he said so. And his written English was tremendous on his early posts when he came in all guns blazing. I'm sure he's a German living in Germany though.

Well that's ok then, next time he posts let's get stuck right in and call him a ****  ;)

16 hours ago, gumboots said:

I don't think at the time we were wrong to doubt Mowbray as results and performances were not what we expected or hoped for. Fortunately, and I always hoped it would prove to be so, he turned it round and results, if not always performances, have improved enormously.  I'm delighted it's happened but I'm not embarrassed that at that point in the season I thought we might need to change. I'm not an expert, just a fan. 

Any chance of coming back to matches gumboots? I think you would enjoy it now.

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray tinkered with the system at the start of the season and the first 2 games then he settled on a back 4 and results picked up. since the Oldham game the Players performances and gone up by 2 levels and Bennett and Mulgrew are leading this team on the field. 

Stuart, I have full Confidence that Mowbray would get it right and get us promote from this league. I always like him since day 1 as he talks so well and sensible. This season has been the most enjoyable since the days of Mark Hughes reign here as manager. Fans are enjoying it and great to hear them in good voice and signing so passionately and loud. 

Wigan and Shrewsbury have been excellent this season and surprise how both have stay in the top 2 so long. But now injuries are happening and both are struggling. also think Wigan FA Cup might get in the way of their promotion push. 

On Recruitment, Mowbray has been good and signed players to fit into a certain formation like Dack, Smallwood. Downing has been excellent since coming into the team. With Lenihan coming back into the first team we don't need another centre back. 

I seem to remember you saying you were disappointed with his potential appointment as were most of us, so maybe not since day one!

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

I seem to remember you saying you were disappointed with his potential appointment as were most of us, so maybe not since day one!

yeah true(Rowett was available and I thought Senior would have gone foreign)  but since he come in,  he has spoken common sense and show his passion for this club. 

I mention Mowbray name about 3 years before we appointed. 

Archived