BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cheap Ticket Games

1 minute ago, Gav said:

I'm keeping up, you said in regards to boycotters coming back:

"I and thousands of others, will know who to say 'you're welcome' too, for continuing to cheer the lads on and keeping the club going while they were busy having principles"

But you never continued cheering on the lads, you gave up because the football was cr@p, it wasn't even on principle......

Bit of advice, dont slag off returning fans, because your past will always creep up on you :tu:

Bit of advice, get a sense of humour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/february/ticket-news-wigan-h/

Full price category A for the Wigan match. I can't help thinking they have missed a trick here and should have been looking to bulk up the home support with a decent offer to tempt walk ons for what will be a massive game. 

The inconvenience of a noon kick off and Sky might just deter a few season ticket holders from attending too.

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/february/ticket-news-wigan-h/

Full price category A for the Wigan match. I can't help thinking they have missed a trick here and should have been looking to bulk up the home support with a decent offer to tempt walk ons for what will be a massive game. 

The inconvenience of a noon kick off and Sky might just deter a few season ticket holders from attending too.

They will make any game Cat A if  they think that the opposition will bring a half decent away following .

So I imagine Blackpool will be too, as will Bradford.

The fact Oldham will have around 2k at Ewood tomorrow at Cat A prices will have convinced them it's the right way to go, feck trying to get as many home fans in the ground as possible.

• Moderation Lead
20 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

The continued Venky ownership will deter me from attending.

Really? I think that's the first time you've mentioned it.......

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They will make any game Cat A if  they think that the opposition will bring a half decent away following .

So I imagine Blackpool will be too, as will Bradford.

The fact Oldham will have around 2k at Ewood tomorrow at Cat A prices will have convinced them it's the right way to go, feck trying to get as many home fans in the ground as possible.

You can understand the club for wanting to make the most money possible on the larger away followings.

The infuriating part of it all is that they could still do this (if this is their motivation) without the need to slap big prices on the home supporters.

We are in a very fortunate situation whereby we have a massive surplus of seats and a whole variety of ways of splitting the ground up into different price zones.

If they want to charge away supporters big prices but boost the numbers of home supporters then there is absolutely nothing stopping them from doing this.

I get tired of keep saying it but the Darwen End upper tier could be opened for away fans, and away fans could be charged a higher price than home fans. Nothing whatsoever in the rules stopping us doing that. That's why Bolton put away fans in their upper tier and Leeds put away fans along the side of the pitch whilst filling behind their goals.

Meanwhile Coventry City, of the league below, with similar ownership issues, are hosting an annual Community Day tomorrow vs Accy Stanley. £5 a ticket for anyone buying in advance - they've sold 27,000 and are expecting to get past 30,000 on the day. Not rocket science is it?

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/tickets-all-tickets-5-for-community-day-against-accrington-stanley/

12 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Saw a photo taken during the game and there were nowhere near that figure. Around 200 seemed to be the guesstimate.

527 was the 'official' figure quoted, they did bring a good few to the cup game not long ago much to the dismay of their NAPM so you never know but I bet the cat A prices put them off as well.

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

£100 in the Blackburn End, £120-130 in the Jack Walker is still a decent whack of money in one go, ergo you won't get more than a couple of hundred signing up

They'd still be better with  a couple of fiver a ticket matches...

Wigan at home possibly biggest home game of season, that will attract a few supporters (although being on sky will affect that), but if you are going to pay £25 for the one match, then another £65 for 5 games is a good deal, £13 a game.

It is a good deal in comparison to the ridiculous match day prices, but just like the 'final 10' ticket or whatever it was called, it wil sell in the low hundreds, as those not buying a ST or half ST or final 10 ticket are by definition floating fans who just won't pay £130 in one go.

£5 a game for a couple of matches and you could be pushing 18-20,000 crowds, something that would really create an atmosphere.

Wigan should have been reduced to maybe £20 a ticket for every area in the ground. The problem is that Wigan charged us full price for the match at the DW earlier in the season, so understandably we don’t want to do them any favours.

1 minute ago, OJRovers said:

Wigan should have been reduced to maybe £20 a ticket for every area in the ground. The problem is that Wigan charged us full price for the match at the DW earlier in the season, so understandably we don’t want to do them any favours.

I'll come back to my old point. Open the Darwen End upper tier and allocate Wigan 3,000 tickets. Charge those out at the same price they charged us at their place earlier this season. They'll still bring a couple of thousand. We don't need to do them any favours infact putting them upstairs will probably be to our advantage rather than having them pitchside.

Then open up the rest of the ground and have a one-off reduction of £5-10 a ticket in all home areas.

It can be done. Trouble is those running Rovers don't seem to think outside the box and don't want to try new things or upset people at other clubs.

We've been done with it at Bolton, Leeds, Norwich where away fans are located in more expensive areas of the ground and are charged more than home fans. Rovers don't want to do the same.

I can't justify getting a season ticket these days due to having 2 children under 3, I probably get to between 7-10 games a season now if the fixtures fall right. As a result I am massively penalised by many of the offers. Big 10 ticket - no benefit in it for me, big 6, same again. Can't get a £5 ticket as I don't know any season ticket holders to go with. To sit where I sit in W11 on Monday night is £27 quid plus petrol from Lancaster to Blackburn, or I can watch it on TV.  Whilst I commend the clubs efforts with ticket initiatives they are no good for casual fans (Whom they are trying to win over) or those who have work/family commitments/live outside Blackburn.

Yeah, it makes it quite galling to be honest. I go regularly paying my £27 quid yet am deemed outside of those targeted for a discount. I will probably end up forking out about £300 for tickets this season yet somebody who has a mate with a season ticket can go to numerous games for within £50 quid! I've worked out that I can get to 3 home games until the end of the season, other fans will be able to go to the same games for 15 quid yet I've been going all season when I can and get no reward.

Bury, televised on a Monday night is screaming out for a cheap single ticket offer, as was Walsall a few weeks ago but they've plumped for the block buy, money up front option.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'll come back to my old point. Open the Darwen End upper tier and allocate Wigan 3,000 tickets. Charge those out at the same price they charged us at their place earlier this season. They'll still bring a couple of thousand. We don't need to do them any favours infact putting them upstairs will probably be to our advantage rather than having them pitchside.

Then open up the rest of the ground and have a one-off reduction of £5-10 a ticket in all home areas.

It can be done. Trouble is those running Rovers don't seem to think outside the box and don't want to try new things or upset people at other clubs.

We've been done with it at Bolton, Leeds, Norwich where away fans are located in more expensive areas of the ground and are charged more than home fans. Rovers don't want to do the same.

All too much common sense that JH....not the done thing to do at Ewood these days!

If you want people to reconnect and get interested again cheap tickets in one or two of the big local games is the way forwards. Even if it's just one area of the ground, try and fill up the BBE as much as poss £10/5/ quid a kid in the lower. Open the top and offer a family ticket at 25 or 30 quid then you could charge the away fans the same in the DE upper, doesn't really matter if the lower is empty if you can get the Blackburn end busy and rocking again.

Are the rules even the same in the football league as the Prem in regards to like for like pricing anyway ?

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

If you want people to reconnect and get interested again cheap tickets in one or two of the big local games is the way forwards. Even if it's just one area of the ground, try and fill up the BBE as much as poss £10/5/ quid a kid in the lower. Open the top and offer a family ticket at 25 or 30 quid then you could charge the away fans the same in the DE upper, doesn't really matter if the lower is empty if you can get the Blackburn end busy and rocking again.

Are the rules even the same in the football league as the Prem in regards to like for like pricing anyway ?

I think so. I think that you have to charge the same for away fans in 'corresponding' areas of the ground as home fans.

So we can't offer cheap tickets in the DE or BE lower without reducing ticket prices for away fans in the DE lower, but we could offer cheap tickets in the Riverside whilst keeping away fans the same.

We're lucky because we've got an empty upper tier that holds 3,000 people. Its more than big enough for away support in this league and the corresponding home area is closed.

At Leeds they pack behind both goals with home fans usually at quite reasonable prices. They put away fans behind the dugout in the main stand and so can basically charge away fans whatever they want as long as home fans at the other side are charged the same. Think that was a Ken Bates idea and he knows a thing or two about those sort of things.

I think it would be good to see home fans behind both goals in numbers on cheap tickets with Wigan stuck away upstairs out of the way paying their £25 per adult.

Even if the above wasn't possible and we couldn't discriminate between home and away fans, the club has the option of using a 'local promotion' for a couple of games a season. We've had our pants pulled down at Huddersfield not so long since when home fans were getting on for £5 whilst away fans were charged £20, and that was allowed within the rules, so we could do that if we wanted.

Aye  Leeds have been getting away with if for years and didn't Villa and Boro move their away sections to the side a while ago presumably for the same reason.

Wigan wouldn't bring more than 2.5 k ish anyway even if was cheap for them I don't reckon so that game was certainly a good candidate for it on many levels being a local top of the table clash potentially.

Police wouldn't fancy it though and the rise in tickets for these fixtures could well be to pay for the extra policing anyway.

Archived