SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cheap Ticket Games

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

I wouldn't buy one if it was 99p

Good to see you have managed to get a job BB but a pity it is working for Mike ;)

FOV

RTID

For someone so enamoured with “saving the club”, you’d think you would actually support it! 

Rovers have got to sort this out. Surely there must be somebody with an ounce of sense at the club to make a Saturday afternoon game £5 adults and £1 kids to get a bumper crowd on. This is a critical stage in our clubs history and we need to get promoted.

That gimmick yesterday of bring a friend for £5 did not work for a number of reasons: on sky, night match and was hassle for a season ticket holder to sort tickets out for others.

I can’t help but think they did this to appease season ticket holders ie ‘bring a friend.’ However as a season ticket holder I just want to see the ground full at the minute whatever measure it takes. 

I also hope the club aren’t being dictated to by the police and discouraged from making it £5 general sale - this wouldn’t surprise me.

We charged a fiver against Huddersfield at the back end of 2000-01 promotion. Attendance was 29,500 and really helped us to a win against a good Huddersfield side.

Bolton charged a fiver at the business end of proceedings last season and got over 24,000.

Do we have a brfcs representative on the fans forum? If so any chance of this being put to the club? I hope I speak for the majority on here and also season ticket holders that we would all welcome this to get a bumper crowd to fire us to promotion.

Wigan and Blackpool is Cat A because, like Oldham, they reckon there will be a couple of thousand away fans they can charge top whack to - though I doubt Blackpool will bring close to that. They’ll do the same for Bradford.

So, one or more of Southend, Peterborough or Oxford surely has to be heavily discounted? But the fact they’ve done this ‘Final 6’ ticket makes me think they won’t...

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Wigan and Blackpool is Cat A because, like Oldham, they reckon there will be a couple of thousand away fans they can charge top whack to - though I doubt Blackpool will bring close to that. They’ll do the same for Bradford.

So, one or more of Southend, Peterborough or Oxford surely has to be heavily discounted? But the fact they’ve done this ‘Final 6’ ticket makes me think they won’t...

This is why fans of clubs like Leeds et al have every right to complain. The number of away fans means that they are likely to see every game as a Cat A, and have to pay full whack. I wonder how Rovers fans have fared on that score this season?

Still, it’s supply and demand, and as long as people pay they will continue to charge high prices.

We know that there is a significant level of support boycotting Ewood.

Going £5 a ticket for the Peterborough game on 21 April will probably get 25,000 on and set us up for another bumper crowd v Oxford for the last game of the season at normal prices. 

Just now, philipl said:

Going £5 a ticket for the Peterborough game on 21 April will probably get 25,000 on and set us up for another bumper crowd v Oxford for the last game of the season at normal prices. 

I doubt that, but it would be significantly more than 12,000.

I fear that between them Rovers, the authorities and Sky are going to ensure that we don't get anywhere near the potential numbers through the turnstiles as might be expected or possible for a promotion push.

The best way to ensure more people turn up to watch is by reducing general admission prices. Rovers don't want to do that, and so are charging £22+ for Category A fixtures vs Wigan and Blackpool. Their efforts at offering cheaper tickets have been either to buy the package, which means stumping up £100+ and committing to going to numerous games, or the 'bring a friend for £5' idea which has been deployed for midweek games when it will always be ineffective.

Wigan and Bradford could easily have been 20,000+ crowds, alas the trio of Rovers' pricing, Sky Sports and I suspect police and 'safety' people will ensure those games are 15,000 maximum by messing around with kick off times, charging top whack prices and putting them on TV. You aren't going to get many traipsing down to Ewood for a 12noon kick off or when the game is on TV and Rovers are charging £25 to sit in the Blackburn End.

In truth I suspect there's that many people at Rovers in their comfort zones that they have little to no incentive to want a 20-25,000 crowd on Ewood for a league game. They are quite happy with 10,000 coming along every week. We've seen the almost hysterical reactions and measures put in place for derby games with PNE, Leeds etc. in previous years with early kick offs etc.

Shame really but they've made their choice.

Makes me laugh really the games more casual fans or lapsed fans might want to attend they get priced out or put off hell it ended up being the same for UTD and Liverpool so you aren't going to get 18k home fans suddenly turning up for these now.

Bring a friend for a fiver to a Monday night live game is a decent enough gesture but a bit futile as only regulars will take advantage anyway. The support needs building up again but I think it will remain static now save for the odd Saturday game right at the end of the run in.

4 hours ago, philipl said:

No we don’t...

We know the attendances are down. To call those missing a “significant level of support boycotting” is simply not true.

Actual boycotters are an absolute minority.

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

No we don’t...

We know the attendances are down. To call those missing a “significant level of support boycotting” is simply not true.

Will be interesting to see how much reaction you get but I would say 50% of the Rovers supporters I know are boycotting Ewood either completely or selectively.

14 hours ago, david brent said:

Rovers have got to sort this out. Surely there must be somebody with an ounce of sense at the club to make a Saturday afternoon game £5 adults and £1 kids to get a bumper crowd on. This is a critical stage in our clubs history and we need to get promoted.

That gimmick yesterday of bring a friend for £5 did not work for a number of reasons: on sky, night match and was hassle for a season ticket holder to sort tickets out for others.

I can’t help but think they did this to appease season ticket holders ie ‘bring a friend.’ However as a season ticket holder I just want to see the ground full at the minute whatever measure it takes. 

I also hope the club aren’t being dictated to by the police and discouraged from making it £5 general sale - this wouldn’t surprise me.

We charged a fiver against Huddersfield at the back end of 2000-01 promotion. Attendance was 29,500 and really helped us to a win against a good Huddersfield side.

That was my eldest's first game. When I told him the attendance, he replied, ' There's no such number!'  

He went on to have an ST and so did his brothers - who still have them. Watching the Rovers has entered into their university choices. 

It's not just about discounting for particular matches. Successful seasons can help to build up the future fanbase at the same time. 

RTID and all that. 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

We know he likes that

":blink::lol:

Strange how you see opinion as attention seeking but you got what you wanted from me.

29 minutes ago, philipl said:

Will be interesting to see how much reaction you get but I would say 50% of the Rovers supporters I know are boycotting Ewood either completely or selectively.

It’s a suitable “excuse” for many who simply don’t have the stomach for the level we are at. Just look at recent cup games in case you needed example.

Go back to 1975 or 1980, when were bumbling along sub 10,000 then got gates over 20,000 around Easter as promotion came within grasp.

Going from Prem to Championship was a far bigger downer on attendances because of football quality and opposition attractiveness than dropping from Championship to League 1 as reflected in average attendances. 

2010/11 25,000 (enter Venky's- the average really was 25,000 exactly)

2011/12 22,551 (relegation)

2012/13 14,997 (Championship)

2015/16 14,131 (after three seasons of 14,9xx average attendances)

2016/17 12,688 (relegation again)

2017/18 11,112 (to date, highest 15,115 v Rochdale, lowest 10,011 v Plymouth)

Not inconceivable that the six remaining home games will lift this season's home average to the same as last season's.

We are fourth in home gates with Bradford, Portsmouth and Charlton ahead of us while we are comfortably first in average away attendances.

50 minutes ago, philipl said:

Go back to 1975 or 1980, when were bumbling along sub 10,000 then got gates over 20,000 around Easter as promotion came within grasp.

Going from Prem to Championship was a far bigger downer on attendances because of football quality and opposition attractiveness than dropping from Championship to League 1 as reflected in average attendances. 

2010/11 25,000 (enter Venky's- the average really was 25,000 exactly)

2011/12 22,551 (relegation)

2012/13 14,997 (Championship)

2015/16 14,131 (after three seasons of 14,9xx average attendances)

2016/17 12,688 (relegation again)

2017/18 11,112 (to date, highest 15,115 v Rochdale, lowest 10,011 v Plymouth)

Not inconceivable that the six remaining home games will lift this season's home average to the same as last season's.

We are fourth in home gates with Bradford, Portsmouth and Charlton ahead of us while we are comfortably first in average away attendances.

Lots of local games have swollen away figures this season but we’d still be up there because the club traditionally is well supported

As for the initial point though, the term “boycott” is fundamentally misused by some who simply stop going.

4 hours ago, Biz said:

No we don’t...

A few hundred at absolute max.

I'm still in favour of having a stand for dogs. Pups for a pound promotion .

4 hours ago, philipl said:

I have to disagree with you here Philip. I know one person who is actively boycotting, two more who may be but that is it. I know plenty who have stopped going as the quality of football and the whole experience has declined.

There are 33 houses in our village and another 30 surrounding it. At one time 11 cars would leave the village for Ewood on a Saturday, usually with 3-4 people in each. Today it’s down to two - me and one other. One family left the area but still go. All the kids are grown and have moved away. All of this impacts attendance. 

I’d be surprised if true boycotters totalled 1000. 

If the term is described as “I want to go but refuse to from principle till they leave, won’t return at all and I won’t spend a penny” then I’d say I know 0 people boycotting. I wouldn’t call posters people I know, I’ve read a few here and elsewhere say this, only to dip back into big games (like FA cup, Burnley et al)  or buy a HST this season. 

How many ex-season ticket holders or ex-regular attendees do I know whose reason is simply “I’m not watching that ****”? Probably all of them. 

My uncle cracked me up, when we offered him a free ticket, beers and a pie on the house + a lift in and out, his answer was “I’d shut curtains if ‘twas on ewt front”.. :) 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

If the term is described as “I want to go but refuse to from principle till they leave, won’t return at all and I won’t spend a penny” then I’d say I know 0 people boycotting. 

I wouldn’t call posters people I know,

Describes me, and phew!

;)

Archived