BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RIP Cyrille Regis

I was at Old Trafford to see West Brom beat the Rags 5-3 in the best game I have ever seen live. West Brom were inspired by Regis and Cunningham who were virtually unplayable. In many ways he was a trailblazer for black players and he inspired a generation.

RIP.

Just now, arbitro said:

I was at Old Trafford to see West Brom beat the Rags 5-3 in the best game I have ever seen live. West Brom were inspired by Regis and Cunningham who were virtually unplayable. In many ways he was a trailblazer for black players and he inspired a generation.

RIP.

I remember watching that game on TV . WBA were tremendous that day. One of the best performances I've ever seen.

A good footballer, who become a bit of an icon for that era.

The way he behaved and held himself is an absolute credit to himself and his family.

Thank god the modern day footballers do not have to be put thru those trials and tribulations

5 minutes ago, lraC said:

A guy who played the game, with a smile on his face, which these days, is sadly all too often missing. RIP Cyrille.

Amazing really considering the abuse that he got. Remarkable man that helped to change the face of football in this country for the better.

Role model is an over-used phrase these days but Cyrille Regis, and Cunningham and Batson, were genuine role models for how to maintain dignity and how to conduct oneself in the face of vile hatred and abuse. 

The way they coped with the rampant racism that was the norm at the time is beyond belief.

A great man and a wonderful player. RIP

To those such as myself that unfortunately never got to see him play he will still be recognised as an iconic role model who transcended the game - not just another footballer, but an important figurehead in our modern social history. 

Far too young and thoughts with his family - hopefully there are some fitting tributes this weekend.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Role model is an over-used phrase these days but Cyrille Regis, and Cunningham and Batson, were genuine role models for how to maintain dignity and how to conduct oneself in the face of vile hatred and abuse. 

The way they coped with the rampant racism that was the norm at the time is beyond belief.

A great man and a wonderful player. RIP

I was on another site earlier that was showing the highlights of the game at Old Trafford that Arbitro mentioned early. I watched the game on TV back in the day so I know how things used to be. It's still shocking to hear the roar of boos that rang out when Laurie Cunningham gets the ball very early in the game. Just because of his skin colour. It didn't take him long to shut them up though !

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was on another site earlier that was showing the highlights of the game at Old Trafford that Arbitro mentioned early. I watched the game on TV back in the day so I know how things used to be. It's still shocking to hear the roar of boos that rang out when Laurie Cunningham gets the ball very early in the game. Just because of his skin colour. It didn't take him long to shut them up though !

I remember watching Sportsnight with Coleman (remember that?) on TV, circa 1979,  Derby County v West Brom, League Cup tie highlights. Roy McFarland and Colin Todd were giving Regis and Cunningham dog's abuse, you could lip-read what they were saying. Even at the time it was shocking.

I have utmost respect for Cyrille Regis. 

That 5-3 game at old Trafford was on the weekly highlights programme at the time, I think itvs kick-off with Gerald sinstadt commentating and it really captured the nation.

A very attack minded team, full of new talent that attacked at real pace and had this dynamic group of players which centred around these talented black guys. Ron Atkinson was the manager, it’s amazing that he got caught out uttering racist comments decades later. He actually did more to challenge the status quo as anybody.

to think, monkey chants, throwing of bananas was the norm. Embarrassing. 

‘Throughout all this these players acted with absolute dignity Take a bow son!

41 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I was at West Brom when they beat us 3-2 in a great FA Cup 3rd round game in January 1982. Think he played (and probably scored) that day. Another taken too early. RIP Cyrille Regis.

So was I Mark - we came from 3-0 down and then had a goal disallowed at 3-2 didn't we? Regis scored at least one that day.

Archived