BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Midfield generals

Not sure how long this thread will last, but I think the topic warrants it. 

Should Mowbray stick with Bennett and Smallwood in there? Personally I think it is a no brainer that he should. The fact he fell into this combination by necessity/luck/being unlucky is secondary, the two of them give us exactly what you need in this division. Having the two of them in there battling and feeding the attacking quartet will bring us results. Particularly as our front 4 is among st the strongest, if not the strongest in the league. 

I don't think Mowbray will stick with it. I reckon Evans may come back this weekend, but if not him, Whittingham definitely will when he is fit. Personally I don't think Whittingham has been as average as people have made out, I think he has been pretty decent, while admittedly nowhere near as good as he could be(I'd say he would admit that himself). It will be interesting to see. 

So, what do others think? Are Bennett and Smallwood the best option for home games or away games, or both? They really appeared to get the crowd going on Saturday ,which was a major factor in getting overt he line so comfortably in the end. 

Carrying on with it for the next few games should definitely be a no brainer. Smallwood is obviously in front of everyone, Bennett needs to show that Saturday wasn't a one off before he's clearly in front of Whittingham for me.

I'd like to see if Whiitingham gets more effective once he has better attacking options to pass to with Armstrong/Payne in front of him. Evans on the other hand, needs to show a lot more before he gets the shirt back. 

It's Bennett's position to lose if you ask me. He looked to really enjoy himself in the middle and the difference he and Smallwood made was massive considering Shrewsbury are renowned for being hard-working and difficult to beat.

I think it would be wrong to stick Evans straight back in considering his negative performances so far this season. 

I guess the only issue would be who would play on he right. Does he feel Bennett offers more than Samuel did? I didn't see the game but from the highlights it looked like Samuel was involved in most of the goal action and that he offered good pace down that side and terrorized their FB.

Even if he doesn't fancy Samuel, there is always Armstrong as well and possibly Payne to play a part too.

I'd carry on with it for the rest of the season, they provided everything we have been missing for years as a pair, energy, snapping away into tackles, passing it forwards early etc.

However, Mowbray did come out and say on radio lancs after the game that he see's Bennett as a wide player, so whilst he might keep it the same this weekend, I wouldn't expect to see it long term, which is a shame.

I would but at the end of the season as for now i'd hope they keep a large squad for the run in anything can happen.

Then i'd get rid even if we went up as next season would likely be a dogfight to stay up and we'd need players reflecting that.

Honestly dont know why its taken so long to play him centrally. Bennets strengths always seemed better suited to the middle than right wing imo.

He is a proper grafter and agrressive in his pursuit of the ball. I dont mean vinnie jones type aggressive, but more the fact he is prepared to take the odd risk to really pressure the opponet and nip in front and grab the ball.

He is also pretty handy on the ball which we have lacked a lot at times the past few seasons centrally.

Also reckon if the whole squad did fitness tests he arguably be the fittest player. A real relentless engine

Add lenihan to the mix and you have 3 you can rotate about and keep fresh for the run in

Bennett and Smallwood all the way for me on saturday.

I think Bennett showed more in one game than Corey Evans has done in the last 3 years. On current form Evans should only be viewed as back up, he's not offered us anything for a while, doesn't press much, doesn't go box to box, plays short passes at a slow pace, doesn't score goals, tackles a bit.

If Whittingham were fit it might be slightly different, his skill set will come in use as the season goes on though, he's not controlled games like we hoped but he can still pick a pass or a put a good ball into the area. If has movement in front from Dack, Armstrong, and Payne he may be more effective.

I was championing Lenihan to return in midfield before Saturday so its still an option if he wants to put Bennett back on the wings.

Tomlinson hasn't really shown enough when i've seen to warrant a shot in the 1st 11. Maybe he could use a loan move to league 2?

I think after the performance against Shrewsbury Bennett has to get a run at the role for two or three games. He put in a performance there way above what we have seen from Evans or Whittingham, and deserves a chance to cement his place.

With the other incomings he is unlikely to get a role on the wing so he needs to morph into a centre midfielder long term.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think after the performance against Shrewsbury Bennett has to get a run at the role for two or three games. He put in a performance there way above what we have seen from Evans or Whittingham, and deserves a chance to cement his place.

With the other incomings he is unlikely to get a role on the wing so he needs to morph into a centre midfielder long term.

Some told me that he actually out-Smallwooded Smallwood while there. Said he was the better of the two though both played well.

Archived