BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bradley Dack

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you look back on the Whittingham transfer thread you'll see a few of us weren't " buzzing ". I had a bad feeling about signing him, especially on a 2 year contract. I just had a feeling he'd hit the wall. Watching him play was pretty sad, his legs had gone.

Didn't Cardiff only offer him a 1 year contract ?

But are you optimistic about any signings? 

:) 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

But are you optimistic about any signings? 

:) 

It's not been easy these last few years. We've either signed unknowns or  guys who are a bit over the hill. I thought Bennett would turn out be a good signing. I also banged the drum for Nyambe and Raya when 90% of this board didn't rate them. Most of my optimism vanished when Coyle came through the door. I stopped watching football all together at that point.

Were you jumping up and down when the likes of Gladwin, Caddis, Hart were being signed ?  Who on here knew anything about Luetwiler, Downing, Smallwood or even Dack ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bboy said:

To be fair Eriksson has been class, lamela isn't bad and paulinho played for barca ? 

lamella has played a handful of good games and has only got into the team this season due to spending being muted and still doesn't start regular. Paulinho was awful at Spurs and was shipped out and Erikson is obviously class but is he better than bale. We all know the answer is no. Selling bale made them weaker not stronger

They also signed soldado, chiriches, chadli and capoue. I no who I'd rather have in bale and that lot.

Erikson salvaged some terrible business

Edited by Oldgregg86

Not saying we should looking to sell but you never know what could happen if we where to it could force a change in shape where we buy two actual wingers and move say a Brereton or an Armstrong up top with Graham perhaps getting the best from one of those.

If push comes to shove I'd much rather keep Bradley tho. 

On 04/12/2018 at 10:29, Leonard Venkhater said:

You never know, we may even blow it all on another one "for the future" lol

Apparently the  Lithuanian lad we got on loan for this season has been attracting a lot of interest from Premiership clubs. We have an option to buy him after his loan spell ends but could be difficult now he’s been earning some excellent reviews.

30 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Absolutely! It’s certainly a shift in the clubs transfer policy of recent years of investing in young players who can command a huge profit down the line. I include Dack and Davenport in there.

But I still think we need a blend between strengthening the here and now and this kind of football deferred gratification.

I have ti say I remain uneasy-even suspicious-about the Brereton signing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonygreenbank said:

Absolutely! It’s certainly a shift in the clubs transfer policy of recent years of investing in young players who can command a huge profit down the line. I include Dack and Davenport in there.

It's not looking good with Davenport. Sounds like he's got a touch of Gladwinitis.  Any news as to when he's likely to be fit again ?

3 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

Pretty obvious that this was a major recommendation from the 2 auditor reports commissioned by the owners.

(titled------" How to make money from a  football club that has small crowds; buying and selling in the 2nd tier' )

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

Pretty obvious that this was a major recommendation from the 2 auditor reports commissioned by the owners.

(titled------" How to make money from a  football club that has small crowds; buying and selling in the 2nd tier' )

To be fair, iirc Jack wasn’t a fan of splashing his cash on ageing players either. Wasn’t it the fact that Thomas from Palace was pushing 30 that made Jack refuse to cough up, eventually precipitating Dalgleish throwing in the towel?

2 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

To be fair, iirc Jack wasn’t a fan of splashing his cash on ageing players either. Wasn’t it the fact that Thomas from Palace was pushing 30 that made Jack refuse to cough up, eventually precipitating Dalgleish throwing in the towel?

"Venkys" and "to be fair"----doesn't really gell with me! Sorry!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I thought we almost signed Thomas in the early PL days, long before Kenny went?

Called off last minute, Jack wouldn't sanction it for the reason EiT stated. To be fair (!) he was never that good anyway and the fee, for the time, was exorbitant.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Well if people didn't know before they definitely did when Dalglish chose to be so petty in his book about it. Even though Thomas did nothing remarkable in the intervening years. I think it's pretty telling that Jack let Berg leave approaching 30. To United of all places after what happened with Shearer the previous summer. Have to say who else offered that money? Chelsea spent 5 million on Le Saux but their muscle wasn't such that they were gonna splash out similar figures for another defender. Arsenal's defensive platform was notorious. Liverpool were a defensive mess and didn't sort out the problem until Houllier signed Hyypia/Henchoz and Carragher's emergence. I don't know why Newcastle didn't make an offer (considering Dalglish signed Berg here) but who else was there? A few continental clubs? Tottenham perhaps? Of course Hodgson would have had his say as well. Berg didn't whine like Le Saux did before making his exit hence why he didn't get the same hostile reception. 

People will mention Gale as a counter to this argument probably. Gale was a free transfer and cover for those ahead of him. 

Speaking of Henchoz he was Berg's replacement. Younger, lower fee  and while Berg didn't exactly end his playing career in obscurity look who lasted longer. As it happens Henchoz wasn't exactly unknown to United either but he chose to join Rovers and his former international manager Hodgson. United fans go on about Shearer he wasn't the only one who chose Rovers (in 1992 anyway and unlike Dalglish at that point Ferguson hadn't even won a league title talk about arrogance) over United. Sutton did. Donis did (for what that's worth)

Edited by Vinjay17