BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bradley Dack

On 09/01/2020 at 01:02, bluebruce said:

I think we would probably get around that. Maybe fractionally over. Maybe a bit less. Sad state of affairs.

On the other hand if one of them knocks a few in before the end of the season the maths changes. It would take a hell of a lot more than that to reap the big profits they kept talking about though! I think most of us feel certain we will never get close to our money back on these two.

Those deals will never cease looking insane. I'm down with investing in potential, most of us are, but you don't spend nearly your whole budget two summers in a row on potential. Potential is scattered all over the country and the world, far far cheaper than that. You could buy ten promising players for one Brereton and expect at least 2 or 3 to come good.

Yeah we bought a large number of young Portuguese players in not so long ago, how did that work out again? Every transfer is a risk, I agree that Brereton has been a massive flop, and Gallagher hasn’t been very impressive, but it’s disingenuous to suggest that we could’ve done much better by throwing the money at several other players. 

Edited by The Hypnotic

3 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

Yeah we bought a large number of young Portuguese players in not so long ago, how did that work out again? Every transfer is a risk, I agree that Brereton has been a massive flop, and Gallagher hasn’t been very impressive, but it’s disingenuous to suggest that we could’ve done much better by throwing the money at several other players. 

I think disingenuous is comparing my suggestion to what we did with the Portugeezers. That was 3 (not 10) gambits that were put to us by agents who were polluting the club.

I'm talking about properly sourcing genuine talent and taking a series of calculated risks, a la Dack (who was a little over a tenth of the cost of Brereton). Not this all your eggs in one basket approach a la BB then again with Gally. If you're buying potential and you're not in the Prem, buy it cheap.

It's hardly just that BB was a risk, it's that he was a stupid risk. Nearly every man and his dog was saying that with foresight, not just hindsight.

Any time this club spends 7 million, it needs to be spending it on someone for right now (and hopefully a few years into the future too, not on a 31 year old or something). Yes all transfers are risk, but it's all about calculating your risks. Whoever calculated this one would fail a Maths GCSE.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I think disingenuous is comparing my suggestion to what we did with the Portugeezers. That was 3 (not 10) gambits that were put to us by agents who were polluting the club.

I'm talking about properly sourcing genuine talent and taking a series of calculated risks, a la Dack (who was a little over a tenth of the cost of Brereton). Not this all your eggs in one basket approach a la BB then again with Gally. If you're buying potential and you're not in the Prem, buy it cheap.

It's hardly just that BB was a risk, it's that he was a stupid risk. Nearly every man and his dog was saying that with foresight, not just hindsight.

Any time this club spends 7 million, it needs to be spending it on someone for right now (and hopefully a few years into the future too, not on a 31 year old or something). Yes all transfers are risk, but it's all about calculating your risks. Whoever calculated this one would fail a Maths GCSE.

I suppose that's the idea of the academy and under 23s 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I suppose that's the idea of the academy and under 23s 

At kid level, someone looking promising barely seems to mean anything. The amount of youngsters touted for great things at 13-18 who go on to achieve absolutely naff all is astonishing. You've also got to ensure they get senior game time to develop, which we are pretty bad at on the whole. When they're getting to the 18-21 range, it's still a risk but you have a clearer picture of the type of player they're becoming. If you're buying them for 500k to 1.5 million, it's likely to also be because they've had some of that game time and you don't have quite as much development work to do.

In fairness I'm not suggesting we have ignored that approach either. We've tried with Davenport for about 500k. That may have worked out but the injuries he got means we'll never know if it would have. Unless it still does, in time. Young yet. Chapman at some 300-500k I assume. Bit of an odd one because TM has no intention of starting him and has only brought him onto the bench due to injuries it seems. Rothwell at about 200-300k, which has been a mixed bag. IMO, one of the biggest reasons he hasn't pushed on is a recurring flaw of TM's, not playing players when they're clearly in form, nor dropping them when they're clearly out of form. So much of football is momentum. 

We also had a bash at it in League One with Samuel (again, injury means we'll never know quite how that could have turned out...even so, he currently seems a more useful player than Brereton, and should probably be getting some time off the bench at the moment, in his actual position...another thing for him, being played in the wrong position). Bell, who was borderline adequate in L1, but appears to be utter gash on toast at this level. Still made a lot more appearances than BB though. Then there was Dack at 750k who has been an absolute revelation.

Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone (there's Gladwin too, but again, injuries, and nobody quite knows what he cost). But that's six players (seven with Gladwin), combined cost of maybe 2.25 million. Some might still come good. Dack has been absolutely key and at least before the injury, was worth about £15 million. Samuel has contributed more goals than Brereton despite being almost constantly injured. Albeit at a lower level. We might get some money back on him this month. Bell has played 48 Championship games for us, to BB's 29 (which were mostly off the bench). He has been largely shite though of course. Rothwell has featured in 56 games and scored double what BB has for us, from midfield, and double the assists. He isn't doing great at the moment but I'm sure most would agree he is better than BB.

We also picked up Nuttall on a free and sold him for about 500k, funding a quarter of that expenditure. He contributed 2 Championship goals, double BB's total, in half the games, as well as his League One and cup contributions.

So yeh, I think that 2.25 million ish on a few players worked out a whole lot better than the 6-7 million on Brereton. Plus we got 500k back from Nuttall. Even if you take Dack out of the equation it's still better, for 1.5 million, though no major standouts.

I'd like to hold out some hope that Brereton might still come good, but it looks less and less likely.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Cracking win for Rovers v Stoke in the #UltimateQuaranTeamCup

4-3 thriller away from home. Dacky had far more chances than their player.

4E1A429D-BD39-49E7-B041-83CB56AC84A1.thumb.png.e729163d375872fe146585db40cc6f05.png

Just shows that I’d enjoy watching Rovers win at a game of Gim Rummy!

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I got caught up in the excitement of that last night too I have to admit. Was quite nervous in that closing stretch!

Although it's probably because it was Stoke ?

I actually cheered!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead
14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No offence intended, but he’s not going to say anything different right about now, is he?

Football is on hold and they will be desperate to talk about anything to pass some time.