BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bradley Dack

On 24/10/2020 at 23:10, joey_big_nose said:

I would say Dack could play in midfield but really he needs to be up top because of his goals.

Means dropping Brereton and moving Armstrong left or dropping Brereton though....

When everyone's fit it's going to be a nightmare to pick a front three out of Brereton, Armstrong, Elliott, Dolan and Dack. But then whichever three you go for you have 2 excellent options off the bench for any given situation.

Personally think Dolan will be playing more for the U23s than the first team come the new year.

Think when Dack gets back involved he has to be in that front three.

9 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I could see dack as one of the centre mids. Think the positions that holtby has got himself into the last few games and the chances he has missed. 

He started his career as a centre mid who liked to arrive late in the area.

Agree with this. Rothwell hot and cold, I don’t see us getting a full uninterrupted season out of Holtby either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I'd say early December would be realistic for a first start. Think sharpe suggested after the next international break for him to be in and around the first team.

That gives him time for 2 or 3 under 23 games increasing his mins each time. Few 1st team games as a sub then could do an hour as a starter.

If we are playing really well by Xmas, as I fervently hope we will be, it's not going to be easy gradually incorporating Dack into the team. We wouldn't want to disrupt a team on a roll. On the other hand if we're on one of our regular downward spirals it wouldn't be fair to expect a Bradley Dack just back from a serious injury to pull us out of it. Who'd be a manager ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I am just grateful we are now in a position where 

1) we don't need to rush the best player we have had for the last three seasons back from serious injury and

2) the team we now have is so good we have no idea how to fit him in when he is back.

Sadly, the inevitable injuries and suspensions will probably solve the dilemma and not much of a decision will have to be made.

A more immediate question in the mould of where do you play Dack is where does Rothwell fit in when he is back from isolation on Saturday?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, philipl said:

I am just grateful we are now in a position where 

1) we don't need to rush the best player we have had for the last three seasons back from serious injury and

2) the team we now have is so good we have no idea how to fit him in when he is back.

Sadly, the inevitable injuries and suspensions will probably solve the dilemma and not much of a decision will have to be made.

A more immediate question in the mould of where do you play Dack is where does Rothwell fit in when he is back from isolation on Saturday?

For me, Rothwell comes in for Johnson. 

Rothwell Holtby

Trybull

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

For me, Rothwell comes in for Johnson. 

Rothwell Holtby

Trybull

I would bring him in for Trybull instead personally, at this stage at least. Johnson was back to his best against Coventry and has a fantastic start to the season making it hard to drop him.

Trybull was good but unspectacular against Coventry.

Just now, Miker said:

I would bring him in for Trybull instead personally, at this stage at least. Johnson was back to his best against Coventry and has a fantastic start to the season making it hard to drop him.

But by doing that, you are putting Johnson in the Trybull position and he is slow on the half turn. He doesnt really suit being a DM, same with Holtby and Rothwell. 

Just now, Miker said:

I think Trybull is better suited to that holding role than Johnson. For a start he is more mobile, his positioning seems better and his passing is more reliable.

From what we've seen of Trybull so far and what i've read he seems to be the 6 and a half / 7 out of 10 every week player that will allow the full backs to bomb forward and the other two cm's license to play. We are fairly gung-ho at the moment so I'd go Trybull for the balance.

I'd also bring back Rothwell is he available, his performance vs Derby was absolutely brilliant and would give us another dimension to open up teams, Johnson has played 90 mins wed, sat maybe starting him again tuesday he might be a bit more leggy than usual.

Johnson has been good so far but this is the problem we now have with so much depth. I think its best to rotate our midfield options depending on the opposition. Rothwell has to come in for his ability to bring the ball forward and go past people. Holtby is the creative one, and Trybull does the neat and tidy defensive stuff. Johnson can hit the ball, is decent in the air and he gives us a bit of strength and shithousery in midfield. I just think I would prefer added creativity than what Johnson brings for this match against a team that generally sits back and counters. 

You think we have tough decisions now, just wait until Travis and Dack come back.

• Like 2

I dont think that Rothwell has had enough of an impact for us to warrant necessarily coming straight into the team. Coming in for Johnson may be something that could happen although I think that Johnson was fine on Saturday and is a goal threat from that position.

Dack will be a bit of a different story in terms of quality although the length of time out means that instantly starting him wont be a possibility anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

But by doing that, you are putting Johnson in the Trybull position and he is slow on the half turn. He doesnt really suit being a DM, same with Holtby and Rothwell. 

Johnson has looked good with two mobile players alongside him. He just struggles when you have another relatively static player in the 3 with him like Evans. 

I think it's a binary choice between him and Trybull for the deeper role per game. Given injuries and suspensions they should both get a fair crack.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think that Rothwell has had enough of an impact for us to warrant necessarily coming straight into the team. Coming in for Johnson may be something that could happen although I think that Johnson was fine on Saturday and is a goal threat from that position.

Dack will be a bit of a different story in terms of quality although the length of time out means that instantly starting him wont be a possibility anyway.

Yeah, as I said, I think we have enough good options in the middle now and I assume TM will rotate them due to so many games and depending on the opposition. I just feel that against Forest, we really missed what Rothwell brings - even if it does not always bring an end-result, just him driving forward with the ball is enough to scare teams and cause a bit of panic. His end product has improved from that position too. 

Just my opinion but I believe the mobility, speed and directness of Rothwell is something I would rather have against a side known for letting the opposition having possession before countering with speed and efficiency. We are going to need mobile players that can get up and down quickly. If you could combine ROthwell and Johnson though, you would have a hell of a player. Rothwell has poor finishing while Johnson is great from distance and in the air.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Johnson has looked good with two mobile players alongside him. He just struggles when you have another relatively static player in the 3 with him like Evans. 

I think it's a binary choice between him and Trybull for the deeper role per game. Given injuries and suspensions they should both get a fair crack.

I think we are selling Johnson down the river by playing Johnson in front of the back 4. He is as bad a midfielder as I can remember in recent memory at taking the ball on the half turn, he is not technically very good, he has been robbed of the ball in that role countless times and his passing isnt very good. He has made a career at this level of breaking from deep and scoring from midfield, and whilst he is getting older, I think he can still do that.

He was much better at the weekend with Trybull being the sitter providing a safety blanket behind him.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah, as I said, I think we have enough good options in the middle now and I assume TM will rotate them due to so many games and depending on the opposition. I just feel that against Forest, we really missed what Rothwell brings - even if it does not always bring an end-result, just him driving forward with the ball is enough to scare teams and cause a bit of panic. His end product has improved from that position too. 

Just my opinion but I believe the mobility, speed and directness of Rothwell is something I would rather have against a side known for letting the opposition having possession before countering with speed and efficiency. We are going to need mobile players that can get up and down quickly. If you could combine ROthwell and Johnson though, you would have a hell of a player. Rothwell has poor finishing while Johnson is great from distance and in the air.

I thought that Rothwell was really poor against Cardiff in the game before when he faced a team defending deep as has often been the case. Although he definitely has attributes that could be of use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2020 at 00:48, roversfan99 said:

I think we are selling Johnson down the river by playing Johnson in front of the back 4. He is as bad a midfielder as I can remember in recent memory at taking the ball on the half turn, he is not technically very good, he has been robbed of the ball in that role countless times and his passing isnt very good. He has made a career at this level of breaking from deep and scoring from midfield, and whilst he is getting older, I think he can still do that.

He was much better at the weekend with Trybull being the sitter providing a safety blanket behind him.

Johnson is an enigma. Looks a world beater at times---1st game against Charlton and recent game at Derby readily come to mind. I'm sure there's plenty more but equally there are many games where he never show's up. Looks very slow and unmotivated and the game seems to pass him by.

In short I don't ever feel he can be relied on.

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

When playing alongside Evans his game suffers as a result of Evans lack of ability to control the ball!

Hopefully Bradley Dack taking one of the 11 starting slots squeezes Evans further away from getting picked. If Evans manages to push all except two of Travis, Johnson, Rothwell, Holtby, Trybull, Buckley, and potentially JRC, Elliott and even Brereton (as an alternative to Rothwell) out of the first eleven, good luck to him! 

16 minutes ago, philipl said:

Hopefully Bradley Dack taking one of the 11 starting slots squeezes Evans further away from getting picked. If Evans manages to push all except two of Travis, Johnson, Rothwell, Holtby, Trybull, Buckley, and potentially JRC, Elliott and even Brereton (as an alternative to Rothwell) out of the first eleven, good luck to him! 

At the very least he shouldn't be near any of the more attacking positions in the midfield. I still think he has has the skillset to do quite well in the deeper role, but his weaknesses are dreadfully exposed when he's asked to go further forwards, especially when he plays on the left of the three.

Having said that, seeing as he's already a reserve I'd be looking to have Davenport in front of him in the pecking order anyway. Maybe slightly harsh on Evans as it's not really his fault that the system has changed to not suit his strengths, but he isn't the future whereas Davenport could be with more game time. 

A couple of months ago I would have thought when he comes back Dack play centrally with Armstrong left, but given Brereton's improvement we have a genuine problem now. 

If everyone's fit our best team is probably that below : 

-------------------------Kaminski

Nyambe-----Lenihan-----Williams-----Douglas

----------Holtby-----Johnson-----Rothwell

-----------Eliott-----Armstrong---Brereton

I can't really see dropping any of the forwards or mids if fit - all of them are good value for their places. So I guess Dack will just come in wherever injuries or suspensions happen. Sure that will happen pretty quickly though given we have two games a week through November and December.

• Like 3