BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bradley Dack

Given his personal circumstances, a move to a Premier League club would be irresistible for him. However I would not be surprised if it was a disaster. Too many temptations, too many Sun pics  of him staggering out of clubs in the early hours.Its not like he has the strength of personality to avoid all this.

It'll end in tears.

• Like 4

If we had different owners I'd snap anyone's hand off willing to pay £20m for the lad. John Williams would have banked £8m and given the rest to the manager, but I can't see the 3 stooges in Pune going for that one.

It's inevitable that he'll leave, we all know that, some would even say recent performances have shown his heads already elsewhere, but with limited players around him, and this season in a better league, he's still performing for me and I enjoy watching him, but £20m!!

The current side isn't good enough to challenge in this league, but £10m would possibly take us to that next level and put us in contention for next seasons playoffs if spent wisely, food for thought maybe? Venkys notwithstanding of course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gav said:
If we had different owners I'd snap anyone's hand off willing to pay £20m for the lad. John Williams would have banked £8m and given the rest to the manager, but I can't see the 3 stooges in Pune going for that one.

It's inevitable that he'll leave, we all know that, some would even say recent performances have shown his heads already elsewhere, but with limited players around him, and this season in a better league, he's still performing for me and I enjoy watching him, but £20m!!

The current side isn't good enough to challenge in this league, but £10m would possibly take us to that next level and put us in contention for next seasons playoffs if spent wisely, food for thought maybe? Venkys notwithstanding of course.

We spent £10 million this summer on Armstrong and Brereton, who often occupy the bench and haven't really taken us to any new level so far. So there's zero guarantee of that.

20 million isn't what it used to be, Gav. With what we'd be given from the sale, we'd struggle to adequately replace Dack and have anything left over. I can only see it weakening us.

Even under Williams, how often did we sell a star for big money and actually improve? The only time I can think that it was actually the right move was Santa Cruz. That was more because he had become a crock than anything else, and we were very lucky to get that much for him. He's been the only big money sale I've been happy with. I remember when we sold Duff and there was a lot of talk of how we could spend the money to improve the squad. We went from finishing a handful of points from Champions League qualification, to finishing 15th in each of the subsequent seasons. When Bentley went, similar talk - we went from finishing 7th to 15th.

Selling Samba and Jones for big money saw us relegated. Rhodes left (and a few others for semi-big money), we got relegated the next season. We all know selling Shearer did us no favours.

Maybe some of these are correlation rather than causation, and selling them is often out of our hands to a large extent, but as a whole, it doesn't paint a promising picture for selling our star players for big money and improving, like people like to talk about.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

We spent £10 million this summer on Armstrong and Brereton, who often occupy the bench and haven't really taken us to any new level so far. So there's zero guarantee of that.

That's not really representative of anything. AA played as a winger for Bolton in the Championship and bombed. We are now doing the same. He's a striker, not a winger. The BB situation has been well covered but if he's a £7m man then I'm worth at least £2m. Whatever way you look at it we've massively overpaid for a 19 year old with the occasional decent performance behind him.

This all goes back to the scouting set-up and the manager. The onus is on them to get it right. There are plenty of players who will represent a bargain at lower league level or abroad. 

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

20 million isn't what it used to be, Gav. With what we'd be given from the sale, we'd struggle to adequately replace Dack and have anything left over. I can only see it weakening us.

£20m is still the same as when we got Graham and Mulgrew on a free or Dack for £750k. Again, just because we've massively overpaid for someone who's had the odd good game at Championship level, or paid £1.75m for a striker we've stuck out on the wing, doesn't mean there aren't quality players out there. Your starting point is all wrong.

Dack would obviously be a huge loss but not irreplaceable. P'boro have made getting players on the cheap and flogging them for £m's into an art form. It can be done....as Dack has proved.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's not really representative of anything. AA played as a winger for Bolton in the Championship and bombed. We are now doing the same. He's a striker, not a winger. The BB situation has been well covered but if he's a £7m man then I'm worth at least £2m. Whatever way you look at it we've massively overpaid for a 19 year old with the occasional decent performance behind him.

This all goes back to the scouting set-up and the manager. The onus is on them to get it right. There are plenty of players who will represent a bargain at lower league level or abroad. 

£20m is still the same as when we got Graham and Mulgrew on a free or Dack for £750k. Again, just because we've massively overpaid for someone who's had the odd good game at Championship level, or paid £1.75m for a striker we've stuck out on the wing, doesn't mean there aren't quality players out there. Your starting point is all wrong.

Dack would obviously be a huge loss but not irreplaceable. P'boro have made getting players on the cheap and flogging them for £m's into an art form. It can be done....as Dack has proved.

Yes, but Peterboroughs model hasn't got them promoted recently. I think Dack is irreplaceable. That's why I'm worried this season could be a missed opportunity if we miss out on the play offs 

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It seems once Dack is happy here, we are in no rush to sell. 

I am convinced he will do a Bentley unless he gets his next move right. Good would be Brighton, Newcastle etc, bad would be West ham or pretty much any London club. 

I know there is no loyalty in football, but I think he owes us next season too. Although we would need to be better in the window next summer to encourage him, much better.... 

• Like 1

You suspect huge money would go right to his head but Dack has come up the hard way whereas Bentley was at Arsenal quite young I think and maybe always a bit of a big time Charlie from a young age.  I think Dack would give it a good go before he fell off the rails whether it was with Rovers or anywhere else, he's saying all the right things at the moment but it's consistency on the pitch that counts and also gets you the good moves.

Personally i'd be horrified to see him become a barcode i think he'd be more suited to gentler Southern climes like Fulham or somewhere, avoid Spuds and West Ham at all costs if i were him, graveyards for modest talent like him.

• Like 1

Only one way we'll ultimately keep our better players and that is by convincing them this is a club going places and is determined to try and get promoted to the Premier League. I'm confident that if Dack can see that we are determined to progress and continue upwards then he will be happy to go on the journey.

Thankfully Mowbray SAYS all the right things on that front - acceptance that we need to progress and build and get into the promotion picture - but the problem is in actually doing it. Recruitment will either have to be extremely savvy (far more so than it has been so far) or a major outlay (far more than it has been so far). The basics are there - a decent starting XI, great team spirit - but the depth, resilience is falling short.

I can't help but feel at times that some of Mowbray's comments are aimed as much at the owners and their advisors as they are at the fans and players. Talk about needing to get into the promotion picture to keep Dack is the sort of language I would expect him to use when trying to convince the owners to bankroll more signings and keep the club progressing. Budgets are seemingly decided on an annual basis and I expect Mowbray is facing an annual battle to convince them to spend rather than sit back and think it is job done because we're back in mid-table Championship.

• Like 3

Definitely a message to the owners there but how do you know ask for more money when seemingly you didn't want it in the summer OR tied it all up in a riskily speculative might come good might not signing of a kid ?

Hopefully that one was above his head and he's now asking for proper first team funds for his own players.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Only one way we'll ultimately keep our better players and that is by convincing them this is a club going places and is determined to try and get promoted to the Premier League. I'm confident that if Dack can see that we are determined to progress and continue upwards then he will be happy to go on the journey.

Thankfully Mowbray SAYS all the right things on that front - acceptance that we need to progress and build and get into the promotion picture - but the problem is in actually doing it. Recruitment will either have to be extremely savvy (far more so than it has been so far) or a major outlay (far more than it has been so far). The basics are there - a decent starting XI, great team spirit - but the depth, resilience is falling short.

I can't help but feel at times that some of Mowbray's comments are aimed as much at the owners and their advisors as they are at the fans and players. Talk about needing to get into the promotion picture to keep Dack is the sort of language I would expect him to use when trying to convince the owners to bankroll more signings and keep the club progressing. Budgets are seemingly decided on an annual basis and I expect Mowbray is facing an annual battle to convince them to spend rather than sit back and think it is job done because we're back in mid-table Championship.

Don't forget selection issues.

3 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

All the article really says is that Dack isn't asking to leave this month - in other words, he's not putting in a transfer request. It's very different to saying "I'm not leaving this month". I know that it would be stupid for Dack to say that - as it would any footballer - but Dack could still leave if an attractive club comes in for him, without going back on any of his word in that article - because he wouldn't have asked to leave.

Yes, but the club has also said we don't need to sell him this window. So unless it's an enormous bid, I can't see him leaving.