BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Godlike Genius of Charlie Mulgrew

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I would say to get Tosin over the line we had to commit that we would play him to City. Obviously Lenihan has to start. Ergo Mulgrew gets dropped, Mowbray tells him and Charlie says he would like to leave to get games. So we shop him around over last week. Wigan come in with loan deal last day of window.

Speculative, but it's quite easy to see how it could have all unfolded quite  amicably.

I'm just glad it's worked out as he is a disastrous defender.

I would agree with most of what you say but would add that Charlie probably realised that Williams would also be in front of him as well. 

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

if CM couldn't hack the bench at Ewood he will have to get used to it at Wigan according to WEN reports and the comments attributed to fat boy Cook

If he was concerned about game time here it makes little sense for him to go to Wigan where he's arguably even less likely to play. 

Just now, DE. said:

If he was concerned about game time here it makes little sense for him to go to Wigan where he's arguably even less likely to play. 

which on the face of it adds a little more intrigue as to the real reason why he so suddenly upped sticks and left for pie eating land via Euxton !

• Backroom
Just now, 1864roverite said:

which on the face of it adds a little more intrigue as to the real reason why he so suddenly upped sticks and left for pie eating land via Euxton !

Indeed. Wigan makes sense if he did have a falling out with TM, because it's local and Mulgrew has said before that his wife and kids are settled in the area. If he goes to Wigan then there's no need for the family to move.

• Like 1

Shocked that the skipper was moved on thought it a mistake a number of posts on here are very disrespectful to a player that led the club in promotion out of division one the defence comprises 5 players all of whom when things are not going well are responsible in some way hope this does not affect the spirit in the dressing room as to lose the skipper in this way must have an influence on some of the players.

• Like 1

I was thinking about the Mulgrew situation on my delayed train journey home last night and I think that something certainly triggered off his hasty and abrupt departure on Thursday. Mowbray talked about shaking hands and conversations about lack of game time but the Danny Graham situation is pretty much the same to me. We are changing the way we play and Mowbray wants more mobility in the brave New world he waffles on about. This means to me that Graham will not be getting much game time but unlike Mulgrew is still here.

Whatever the story Mowbray is putting out I think there is a lot he is not telling us.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 09:48, arbitro said:

We are changing the way we play and Mowbray wants more mobility in the brave New world he waffles on about. 

TM came out with the same wanting to play a higher line 2 years ago when he moved Elliott Ward on. Can't say there has been any noticeable difference since. A good number of the support have had the benefit over twenty odd years of watching Rovers under far better managers than TM and aren't taken in by the waffle.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 10:48, arbitro said:

I was thinking about the Mulgrew situation on my delayed train journey home last night and I think that something certainly triggered off his hasty and abrupt departure on Thursday. Mowbray talked about shaking hands and conversations about lack of game time but the Danny Graham situation is pretty much the same to me. We are changing the way we play and Mowbray wants more mobility in the brave New world he waffles on about. This means to me that Graham will not be getting much game time but unlike Mulgrew is still here.

Whatever the story Mowbray is putting out I think there is a lot he is not telling us.

There are several key differences. 

Graham isn't the captain, so it doesn't put Mowbray in a situation where he has to leave his captain out every week. 

Graham is an attacking player, so he can be on the bench and make an appearance in virtually every match. If we are winning he will be brought on to hold the ball up and to help us see the game out, if we are losing then he will be brought on to help us find a goal. Unless there has been an injury or a sending off, you don't often bring on a central defender. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eddie said:

There are several key differences. 

Graham isn't the captain, so it doesn't put Mowbray in a situation where he has to leave his captain out every week. 

Graham is an attacking player, so he can be on the bench and make an appearance in virtually every match. If we are winning he will be brought on to hold the ball up and to help us see the game out, if we are losing then he will be brought on to help us find a goal. Unless there has been an injury or a sending off, you don't often bring on a central defender. 

That is all well and good if Graham is happy to play second fiddle.

They are both a similar age and appear to be surplus to requirements because Mowbray wants to play a different way. I'm not sure the position they play is important. I would imagine, like all good professionals they want to play every game.

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Charlie getting taken apart a little bit for Scotland.

The big Russian striker bullying him. 

No wonder Scotland are struggling if a 33 year old with a good set piece in him is the best they have at the back. 

Lost 4 on the bounce for first time in 15 years commentator just said. 

• 2 weeks later...