BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Godlike Genius of Charlie Mulgrew

• Backroom
6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

It was DE on the other thread, and he was saying it was based on what they were saying on their forums...so fuck knows.

Maybe he got taken off them before his injury.

Yep, somebody on one of the Wigan forums said that Evans and another whose name escapes me were ahead of Mulgrew in the set piece pecking order. Personally I don't know as unless they were playing us I wouldn't watch Wigan if you paid me, and even then I'd have to take it under advisement.

Interestingly though for all talk of set piece prowess Mulgrew didn't have a single assist for us last season either. Suggests to me that he's only really adept at direct free kicks which is a fairly small part of the overall set piece package.

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Its actually unbelievable how many fans on Twitter and the like are creaming themselves over Mulgrews return and suggesting he plays in pretty much every position on the park ?

Lovely guy, forever grateful for his performances in league one, but hell fire if you think he deserves a place in the team be it in goal, defence, midfield or up front you need locking in a cellar or something. 

Saw this on instagram too. Going off the instagram comments, the views amongst many Rovers fans does not mirror the general consensus on this forum. Either were all miserable old sods or a large proportion of fans don't pay that much attention to real life. Many of them think hes going to guarantee us regular goals..

Edited by benhben
  • Like 2

I think that is a really poor interview. Mowbray makes it as clear as he possibly can that he doesn't want Mulgrew back and he will only feature if he absolutely has to.

It seems there has been some sort of breakdown in relations.

For all Mowbray's talk about 'playing higher up the pitch' I think there are other factors at play here.

This is just the latest in a long line of almost unbelievable contract/transfer sagas at the club. Captain on day 1 v Charlton, new contract last season, yet the manager bombs him out on loan to Wigan on deadline day, player opts to cut that short and now manager provides this odd interview.

Something doesn't smell right.

• Like 5

I think it’s an accurate description of what has gone on, Charlie prefers to be at Ewood and is willing to fight for his place. Nothing sinister in my view. All the stats pertaining to results with him in the team fail to apportion blame to the rest of the team, who were playing poorly on a collective basis last season. Let’s see how it goes, if he can reproduce his form up to the end of Jan last year, it will be a major bonus.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think that is a really poor interview. Mowbray makes it as clear as he possibly can that he doesn't want Mulgrew back and he will only feature if he absolutely has to.

It seems there has been some sort of breakdown in relations.

For all Mowbray's talk about 'playing higher up the pitch' I think there are other factors at play here.

This is just the latest in a long line of almost unbelievable contract/transfer sagas at the club. Captain on day 1 v Charlton, new contract last season, yet the manager bombs him out on loan to Wigan on deadline day, player opts to cut that short and now manager provides this odd interview.

Something doesn't smell right.

The first thing not right is the length of the latest contract...

Something certainly changed after that first game. I am assuming there was a row.

I don't believe that it is the interview that is odd. TM just( rightly) omits what happened to generate the hurried departure in the first week of the season.

Why give Mulgrew a 2 year extension if he doesn't think he is capable of playing the way he wants to play? Mowbray was speaking last season about changing how we play so it's not as though it was something that he just decided upon in pre season. Just another example of Mowbray being profligate with the club's money.

• Like 1

A very unprofessinal interview, if I said that about one of the guys who worked under me, i'd have an employment tribunal. He is basically saying , you was not part of the plan, still aint, and because you've played for 2 clubs this season, we are stuck with you. He also insinuates that playing higher up the pitch means he is not cut out for it, its up there with MGP pensioner remark IMO,

If the above is the true feelings, then it should of been kept behind closed doors

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

A very unprofessinal interview, if I said that about one of the guys who worked under me, i'd have an employment tribunal. He is basically saying , you was not part of the plan, still aint, and because you've played for 2 clubs this season, we are stuck with you. He also insinuates that playing higher up the pitch means he is not cut out for it, its up there with MGP pensioner remark IMO,

If the above is the true feelings, then it should of been kept behind closed doors

I would called it a very open and honest interview from our manager. I rather we had this type of manager compare to some of our past managers we had at the club

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would called it a very open and honest interview from our manager. I rather we had this type of manager compare to some of our past managers we had at the club

I dont think a tribunal would think that.

Footballers have the same employment rights, as you and I. As fans we can have our opinion all day long , as we neither employ him or have a contractual responsibility.

Reading Charlies interview in LET, that oozes class , which is the opposite of the one Rovers put on the website from mowbray 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I dont think a tribunal would think that.

Footballers have the same employment rights, as you and I. As fans we can have our opinion all day long , as we neither employ him or have a contractual responsibility.

Reading Charlies interview in LET, that oozes class , which is the opposite of the one Rovers put on the website from mowbray 

Isn't Mowbray allowed to be honest with Mulgrew and the fans? 

Have you not read Mulgrew's interview on the Rovers website? 

Mulgrew has praised Mowbray in his interviews, 

For me Charlie makes the ideal substitute. If we are chasing a game late on, I would bring him on over Brereton, Gallagher, Rothwell, Chapman, Buckley. Go all out to win free kicks near their box and get Charlie on them. He is the best free kick taker in the country. He's a weapon that we should make use of, because at present, other than Armstrong's pace we have nothing else to worry teams. 

Edited by Wegerleswiggle
  • Like 1