BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Godlike Genius of Charlie Mulgrew

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I agree that something has likely gone on...

But, I don’t understand where he’s going with this. The manager has the right not to play him. It would seem he’s been told he has no playing future with the club and won’t play. Having said that he’s still training with the first team whilst most managers make them stay with the u23’s to force them out?

Maybe we’ve turned down a loan he wants because they won’t contribute wages or something like that?

Either way it’s piss poor from Mulgrew who’s sat on a big fat contract for 18 months. I hope Mowbray throws the book at him. Fine and removal from the Senior Training centre. That type of attitude is cancerous to any team.

I suspect he’ll be gone by Monday.

He played for the U23s against Accy a couple of days ago...

D83FC8CE-63B3-4576-8C80-5143970CBC41.png

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

He played for the U23s against Accy a couple of days ago...

D83FC8CE-63B3-4576-8C80-5143970CBC41.png

Yes, played for. But he needs to keep his fitness up and isn’t part of the first team picture.

He still trains or at least trained with the first team though..

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Yes, played for. But he needs to keep his fitness up and isn’t part of the first team picture.

He still trains or at least trained with the first team though..

Ah ok, so not marginalised by Mowbray like other managers do but just him keeping his fitness up. Explains his rant perfectly, cheers.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Ah ok, so not marginalised by Mowbray like other managers do but just him keeping his fitness up. Explains his rant perfectly, cheers.

I don’t think you’re understanding....

Managers usually have the player kept away from the first team, full stop as well as scheduling extra training etc which forces the player out. Both Mulgrew and Smallwood have spent the last 12-18 months sat on their arses, picking up wages AFTER the manager told them they weren’t in the picture. But during that rime they haven’t been shut away from the first team. On the contrary, they’ve been a part of everything.

One of those players acted with dignity, took his wages and accepted the managers decision whilst appreciating not being jettisoned. Trained all week with the first team and then played for 23’s. The there’s the curious case of Charlie Mulgrew.

Clear enough?

• Like 5

• Backroom

Last time Charlie and the manager had a falling out Wigan were there to make him disappear for a few months - if there's no Wigan this time around do we pay him off and let him go, or keep him around doing nothing and draining £80k a month from the club's coffers?

Seems like a bad situation to me. No club is going to pay Mulgrew anything close to what we're paying him as he's finished at any remotely decent level. Seems like we either pay him off and let him go, or find somebody to loan him out to with the caveat that we pay the majority of his wages. Obviously Charlie could agree a mutual termination but for the last year or so he's been happy to take the money for doing nothing - what's another year at this point in his career? Especially as he's probably on 4x the wage here that he'd be offered anywhere else.

• Like 1

Some back tracking going on now it seems, stupid man.

Although i don't get why some twisted it that he's having a dig at fans but i suppose it fits the modern narrative of offended.  To me it was always clearly a dig at his bosses at the club.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Is Charlie really on £20k a week? Seems like the wage structure has loosened up quite a bit over the past couple of seasons. ?

£16 grand was the figure banded about a couple of seasons ago.

I liked him as a player. But this is an example of everything I hate about football. Modern footballers are so detached from reality it’s unbelievable. He’ll earn more in a month than I do in a year for 1% of the effort. Ironically, Mowbray (presumably who it was aimed at) showed far too much loyalty to him with that ridiculous extension for a player who’s ready for the scrap heap.

Plus from what I gather his own loyalty didn’t stretch that far to Aberdeen when Celtic came knocking. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 6

I just do not know where he is coming from. Does he think he is the first player in history to get older, not be good enough to make the starting eleven and then told he is surplus to requirements? What exactly does the club owe him for him to be acting this way?

Loyalty? He has been paid for the last season for doing fck all. He will continue to get paid for doing fck all until his contract runs out. We are not talking minimum wage here, we are talking upwards of SIXTEEN THOUSAND POUNDS A WEEK. Let that settle in. 16k a fckin week - some people do not earn that for a whole year of grafting! 

There is probably some back story to this but it is not a good look to plaster it all over social media. You were good for us once Charlie but you are not up to it anymore, move on. Totally ruined how I think about him now.

• Like 2

I’m ready to get really revisionist.

L1 - the attackers we faced were crap and he’d have been nothing without Downing - a proper centre back for that level. Charlie don’t jump. Raya was stopping absolutely everything too.

That promotion was about Raya, Smallwood, Dack and Graham.

So we then gave the CLUB CAPTAIN a new contract and a chance to lead us into the Championship.

He was absolutely shite.

Times up sorry Charlie. Just face it like a man and don’t disrespect the club that gave you a lifeline and plenty of international caps for longer than you deserved.

Dick.

• Like 7

Mulgrew and his public outburst indicates to me that an impasse has been reached and there is no going back. However he holds all the ace cards with one year left on his deal worth around £750k to him. The options are for him to sit on the contract, take a settlement to cancel his contract and become a free agent or go out on loan for the season. From Rovers perspective the loan option would at least give a return on his wages albeit a small one. From Mowbrays position I can't see him wanting to keep the influential senior professional at the club when he has publicly undermined him.

Underpinning all that though to me was the decision to give a three year deal worth over £2m to a 32 year old with a history of injury.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Mulgrew and his public outburst indicates to me that an impasse has been reached and there is no going back. However he holds all the ace cards with one year left on his deal worth around £750k to him. The options are for him to sit on the contract, take a settlement to cancel his contract and become a free agent or go out on loan for the season. From Rovers perspective the loan option would at least give a return on his wages albeit a small one. From Mowbrays position I can't see him wanting to keep the influential senior professional at the club when he has publicly undermined him.

Underpinning all that though to me was the decision to give a three year deal worth over £2m to a 32 year old with a history of injury.

The club was love-drunk with that promotion winning team. We all were.

The impasse is likely correct - Mulgrew personally OFFENDED at only being offered a quarter of a mil or something to clear off and just play football somewhere else.

• Like 3

We all were?

I was just relieved to get out quickly and fair play to everyone involved for achieving it.

But I certainly didn’t see coming second in the third division as something to crow about or something the players or managers should live off in perpetuity.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The recurring them is that Mowbray is the guy making these decisions - likely with his heart rather than his head. Ones seen as poor judgement at the time which are then seen as ‘all the player’s fault’ when the mistake matured into failure.

It certainly is ironic that Mulgrew’s complaint is lack of loyalty when he should have been encouraged to leave far sooner. Which is another consequence of Mowbray not sorting out the defence at any point and - astonishingly - having time play Mowbray post-Wigan.

However, there are details here that none of us know about.

• 1 month later...