BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Godlike Genius of Charlie Mulgrew

• Backroom

The problem I have with Mowbray's comments re: our players isn't so much what he says, but how he says it. All he had to say here was "Charlie asked to come back, he knows he'll be a squad player needing to fight for his place and is happy with that". I don't understand why TM feels the need to go into warts-and-all detail with these things in public. There's some things that should be said in public and others that should remain private, and it feels like too often Mowbray reveals a little too much. 

With all that said as far as the manager goes I only care about the results he gets on the pitch. What he says outside of that is still up for discussion but ultimately if we're winning I can let questionable interview etiquette slide. When we're struggling it obviously adds to the frustration. 

• Like 4

Funny how our thick manager says that Mulgrew wants to play where it doesn’t suit him, but picks players out of position on a regular basis. 

I still get the impression Mowbray is a bit of a nasty bitch, not the nice guy a lot of people seem to think. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isn't Mowbray allowed to be honest with Mulgrew and the fans? 

Have you not read Mulgrew's interview on the Rovers website? 

Mulgrew has praised Mowbray in his interviews, 

You are either on the wind up, or just dont read post?

You go round and round like a roundabout, and dont appear to be able to put together an adult response.

I get your "groupie approach" , i've been reading it for years and I tend to just pass by your post and ignore as you would spin the club closing as a good thing.

As someone who manages adults on a daily basis, Id certainly not publically diss their ability publically. We all have opinions, but some of those are best left unsaid.

Please dont respond to this post, as I cannot be bothered reading it

• Like 7

But we can all see Mulgrew isn't good enough for our starting line up or even 3rd choice. 

He is a defender and he was awful in the last few months of last season. has everyone forgot his pathetic performance against Boro when he wouldn't head the ball during that game. 

Whilst I also dont think he is up to it, Gallagher has put in repeatedly woeful performances all season (including many up front) and you think "theres a player in there." And you have repeatedly defended Bennetts inclusion ad nauseum. So seems a little hypocritical, based solely on what Mowbray does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But we can all see Mulgrew isn't good enough for our starting line up or even 3rd choice. 

He is a defender and he was awful in the last few months of last season. has everyone forgot his pathetic performance against Boro when he wouldn't head the ball during that game. 

A bit like Raya was to blame for so many goals last season?

I agree he isnt great but we really aren't blessed with depth and having him out on loan with our numbers in defence seems odd. 

As I've said before, if nothing else I'd chuck him on for 25 minutes in games we  need a goal in. He's more likely to whip a free kick in than the rest of our team are going to score from open play.

If he's here and being paid a fortune they'll probably try and get him involved somehow.

Acid test for Mowbray is if he starts putting him in every week again when he's fit if his form is like it was last season.

I look forward to reading his explanation on that !

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst I also dont think he is up to it, Gallagher has put in repeatedly woeful performances all season (including many up front) and you think "theres a player in there." And you have repeatedly defended Bennetts inclusion ad nauseum. So seems a little hypocritical, based solely on what Mowbray does.

I told you on a different social media when I was banned on here that I wanted rebuild the back 4 and keeper departments during the last 4 months of last season and this summer which you seem very happily to forget when it suits your argument. By making the signings we need like new 1st choice keeper, right back, left back and 2 centre backs. 

Me and other people on this forum think there is a player in Gallagher. I have posted recently about him and his development going wrong when not here. 

Not getting into the Bennett debate again with you as it is utter pointless

38 minutes ago, JHRover said:

A bit like Raya was to blame for so many goals last season?

I wasnt on the forum towards last months of last season but I posted on different social media about getting a new experience keeper, leader in centre defence, 2 new full backs in the starting 11. 

• Backroom

His legs are going but I’d have him on the bench especially now we are short in centre midfield, can cover various positions and still the best set piece taker we have 

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I told you on a different social media when I was banned on here that I wanted rebuild the back 4 and keeper departments during the last 4 months of last season and this summer which you seem very happily to forget when it suits your argument. By making the signings we need like new 1st choice keeper, right back, left back and 2 centre backs. 

Me and other people on this forum think there is a player in Gallagher. I have posted recently about him and his development going wrong when not here. 

Not getting into the Bennett debate again with you as it is utter pointless

I wasnt on the forum towards last months of last season but I posted on different social media about getting a new experience keeper, leader in centre defence, 2 new full backs in the starting 11. 

The manager you are defending has been here 3 years and yet we still need a complete new defensive unit in your estimation.

As far as Gallagher is concerned I wouldn't have signed him because I wasn't particularly impressed  with him the first time around and he's gone backwards since then. Given that he is here somebody needs to play him some videos of Kevin Davies at Bolton and tell him " Watch these, that's how I want you to play, Forget playing out wide, get in the box and knock people about. If you can't adapt your game and play like that, you're not much use to me ".  He'll never be a prolific goal scorer but he could become a useful blunt instrument. Having said that if we could get rid of him and re-coup even half of what we paid for him I'd sell him tomorrow.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The manager you are defending has been here 3 years and yet we still need a complete new defensive unit in your estimation.

I would strengthen the defence with the money we spend on Brereton as soon as we were promoted. Someone like Egan or Konsa would have done the job..

This summer I mention going for players Jansson or Byram. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As far as Gallagher is concerned I wouldn't have signed him because I wasn't particularly impressed  with him the first time around and he's gone backwards since then. 

Would I sign him this summer? No cos the money would have mostly gone on the defensively area of the team. Plus we signed Brereton the previous summer. 

Well I was impressed with him. That goal against Wolves is still one of favourite goals. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would strengthen the defence with the money we spend on Brereton as soon as we were promoted. Someone like Egan or Konsa would have done the job..

This summer I mention going for players Jansson or Byram. 

Would I sign him this summer? No cos the money would have mostly gone on the defensively area of the team. Plus we signed Brereton the previous summer. 

Well I was impressed with him. That goal against Wolves is still one of favourite goals. 

Yes but what does it say about the quality of the manager that you think we need a whole new defence and wouldn't have signed either of his big money striker signings?

What does that say about the manager's abilities and competence?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Wigans take on matters, so did Charlie jump or was he tugged......

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2020/january/Charlie-Mulgrew-recalled-by-Blackburn-Rovers/

Think it's fairly clear from everything that has been reported that it was his call. I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise, including in that link. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Yes but what does it say about the quality of the manager that you think we need a whole new defence and wouldn't have signed either of his big money striker signings?

Don't expect a straight answer. It screws with his programming. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

I like Lenihan in defence and he would be my captain of the team. We signed Cunningham and I was hoping he would be long term left back. 

I think we need a leader in defence to partner Lenihan. Jansson, Ajayi or Hector was ideal. They has been others aswell. Byram or Odubajo for right back slot. 

Its about improving the quality and making sure its good enough like Brentford who signed Jansson and Pinnock. 

I wouldn't have signed Brereton as I would have signed a centre back first and look for cheap forward(Matt Smith who was QPR now Millwall) instead. I wouldn't have signed Gallagher after spending 7 mil the season before on Brereton signing. Now if you asked me if I have to pick between Gallagher and Brereton as a signing I would have pick Gallagher. 

54 minutes ago, Amo said:

Don't expect a straight answer. It screws with his programming. 

You were right. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like Lenihan in defence and he would be my captain of the team. We signed Cunningham and I was hoping he would be long term left back. 

I think we need a leader in defence to partner Lenihan. Jansson, Ajayi or Hector was ideal. They has been others aswell. Byram or Odubajo for right back slot. 

Its about improving the quality and making sure its good enough like Brentford who signed Jansson and Pinnock. 

I wouldn't have signed Brereton as I would have signed a centre back first and look for cheap forward(Matt Smith who was QPR now Millwall) instead. I wouldn't have signed Gallagher after spending 7 mil the season before on Brereton signing. Now if you asked me if I have to pick between Gallagher and Brereton as a signing I would have pick Gallagher. 

What I asked is what that says about TM and his managerial qualities that he didn't do any of the things you said we should do or needed. I didn't ask who you'd sign or who you prefer I asked what it says about the manager's quality when he does the utter opposite of what you, I and any sensible minded fan would do transfer wise and when you think we need an entire new defence? 

So i'll try one last time in case you misunderstood the question: 

- we spend £12 mill on strikers you (and I) wouldn't have signed

- you think we need(ed) a new RB, 2 CB and lb of which there has been little improvement on. (Again would agree we need defensive reinforcements.) 

So what does the fact that TM does the opposite of all this say about his ability as a manager in the transfer market and his ability to assemble a squad. 

37 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

You were right. 

What I asked is what that says about TM and his managerial qualities that he didn't do any of the things you said we should do or needed. I didn't ask who you'd sign or who you prefer I asked what it says about the manager's quality when he does the utter opposite of what you, I and any sensible minded fan would do transfer wise and when you think we need an entire new defence? 

So i'll try one last time in case you misunderstood the question: 

- we spend £12 mill on strikers you (and I) wouldn't have signed

- you think we need(ed) a new RB, 2 CB and lb of which there has been little improvement on. (Again would agree we need defensive reinforcements.) 

So what does the fact that TM does the opposite of all this say about his ability as a manager in the transfer market and his ability to assemble a squad. 

Mowbray did some of things I wanted and some not signing wise positional wise. Ability to assemble a squad I do feel that would have benefited from us having a sporting Director and that taking some of pressure Mowbray and allowed him to focus on the training field and working with the squad. Allow alot of scouting to be done by other people to set it up and appoint scouts and analysts. That's probably why Mowbray uses Venus to help him in sort of sporting director role at times. 

I do think he was far loyal to certain players and in giving them new contracts like Smallwood, Mulgrew and Luetwiler. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Talk about rewriting history. 

On 12/08/2018 at 23:36, chaddyrovers said:

I hope we sign Brereton on loan to buy in January for 5/6 mil this week. 

On 15/08/2018 at 17:34, chaddyrovers said:

I would take Brereton over Gallagher. Brereton has great potential and thats the type of signing we should be making. I understand its a risk but a risk worth taking for me. 

On 29/08/2018 at 16:23, chaddyrovers said:

I think 7 mil is steal. Still cant believe Forest sold him tbh. 

I think both players will be bargains for this club

On 26/08/2018 at 13:57, chaddyrovers said:

If Rodwell is the back up centre back then we don't need another centre back imo. We don't want to overload the squad. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray did some of things I wanted and some not signing wise positional wise. Ability to assemble a squad I do feel that would have benefited from us having a sporting Director and that taking some of pressure Mowbray and allowed him to focus on the training field and working with the squad. Allow alot of scouting to be done by other people to set it up and appoint scouts and analysts. That's probably why Mowbray uses Venus to help him in sort of sporting director role at times. 

I do think he was far loyal to certain players and in giving them new contracts like Smallwood, Mulgrew and Luetwiler. 

You didn't answer again. That's why people get frustrated - you evade answering questions you dont like the answer to. 

Yes or no has TM done a good job in the transfer market? 

Yes or no has he assembled a good squad? 

Simple questions and everything you say suggests he has done a bad job but won't admit it for some reason. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

It's very hard to argue TM has done well in the transfer market since we were promoted. Somehow we're even weak in the positions we're overstocked in, let alone where we're thin on the ground. Obviously injuries play a part but somehow we've ended up with five strikers, for example (Graham, Brereton, Gallagher, Armstrong, Samuel) and I'm only confident in Graham having any impact - and he's very much rusty and losing his touch due to being given limited game time this season. Armstrong's best position for us seems to be on the left rather than up front. 

Edited by DE.