Sign in to follow this  
blueboy3333

The Godlike Genius of Charlie Mulgrew

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Mulgrew and his public outburst indicates to me that an impasse has been reached and there is no going back. However he holds all the ace cards with one year left on his deal worth around £750k to him. The options are for him to sit on the contract, take a settlement to cancel his contract and become a free agent or go out on loan for the season. From Rovers perspective the loan option would at least give a return on his wages albeit a small one. From Mowbrays position I can't see him wanting to keep the influential senior professional at the club when he has publicly undermined him.

Underpinning all that though to me was the decision to give a three year deal worth over £2m to a 32 year old with a history of injury.

The club was love-drunk with that promotion winning team. We all were.

The impasse is likely correct - Mulgrew personally OFFENDED at only being offered a quarter of a mil or something to clear off and just play football somewhere else.

Posted (edited)

We all were?

I was just relieved to get out quickly and fair play to everyone involved for achieving it.

But I certainly didn’t see coming second in the third division as something to crow about or something the players or managers should live off in perpetuity.

Edited by Mattyblue

20 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

The impasse is likely correct - Mulgrew personally OFFENDED at only being offered a quarter of a mil or something to clear off and just play football somewhere else.

We've offered him money to go? I must have missed that...

25 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Underpinning all that though to me was the decision to give a three year deal worth over £2m to a 32 year old with a history of injury.

The recurring them is that Mowbray is the guy making these decisions - likely with his heart rather than his head. Ones seen as poor judgement at the time which are then seen as ‘all the player’s fault’ when the mistake matured into failure.

It certainly is ironic that Mulgrew’s complaint is lack of loyalty when he should have been encouraged to leave far sooner. Which is another consequence of Mowbray not sorting out the defence at any point and - astonishingly - having time play Mowbray post-Wigan.

However, there are details here that none of us know about.

Of ourse, there are two sides to a story. However, you do not need to be airing such stuff on the clubs Twitter feed. 

Good luck to Charlie with Joey Barton.

27 goals for us in 100 appearances is a phenomenal return for a defensive player.

23 minutes ago, philipl said:

27 goals for us in 100 appearances is a phenomenal return for a defensive player.

His free-kicks are like penalties. He's worth that alone in League One. A shame how it's ended, but Fleetwood have bagged a baller here! And we've freed up some wages...

He's a Scottish man, better than Zidane.

Charlie is class. Left an impact at this club. Time served doesn't always matter. But he lifted us out the mire when we needed it most of all. Please nobody start quibbling over this term. But in MY EYES he's a bit of a legend.

He definitely doesnt deserve to leave amidst any bitterness or contempt for a tongue in cheek if slightly petty tweet. He has been an excellent servant for us and seemingly has been very professional when not playing. There is no reason to do anything but wish him well.

Thanks for the memories Charlie. Good bloke to have around the dressing room and massive in getting us out of League 1. 

No ill feeling on my part. Leaves with my very best wishes.

Never mind free kicks, his corners were like penalties! 😂.

Good luck Charlie. 

If Charlie had left shortly after promotion he would remembered as a legend but the way the last 18 months has been managed has tarnished it.

Hopefully for Fleetwood fans will see Mulgrew lead them to success and he is not there for one last payday like Murphy was here.

Good move for him, as he lives at Wrea Green, kids are at Kirkham Grammar.

Classy footballer, just a shame his legs went, and quickly too.