Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
blueboy3333

The Godlike Genius of Charlie Mulgrew

Recommended Posts

‘Option’ being ‘I ain’t going back unless Mowbray’s sacked.’

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it might have been new challenge that he fancied? Going nowhere here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mowbray should have had the sense to move Mulgrew to defensive midfield and kept a chance of him supplying his goals from set pieces and corners it will have to wait while after Christmas when Rovers have sacked Mowbray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last season Mowbray went on a run of 

LLLLDLLWLLL

Fortunately it was bookended at each side by WWWW which game him breathing space with W8D1L9.

However it was prefixed by LLL and suffixed with LWD.

Making it W9D2L14 in that ‘half season‘ spell.

He is going to have to do worse than that to be removed. Gulp!

Under Mowbray we can have really long bad spells but then have a couple of decent runs and the fanbase lurch from “enough’s enough” to “ he’s earned more time”. The only problem is that more time looks like simply more of the same due to his inability to recruit well or to get the best out of his team due to his self-inflicted midfield rotation policy. Then you throw in that he can’t get us motivated for local derbies and it starts to grate.

He has to show a stepped-change in performances. Consistency of selection and a style of play and understanding between players developing rather than this schizophrenic approach brought on by too many changes. There have been times this season where we look like strangers on the pitch.

Our squad is significantly weaker than last season and must be addressed. Personally I have no confidence that Mowbray will address this in January. Or even that he recognises the need. This lack of confidence in there being any change is the most important factor to me. Do we have time to tread water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Last season Mowbray went on a run of 

LLLLDLLWLLL

Fortunately it was bookended at each side by WWWW which game him breathing space with W8D1L9.

However it was prefixed by LLL and suffixed with LWD.

Making it W9D2L14 in that ‘half season‘ spell.

He is going to have to do worse than that to be removed. Gulp!

Under Mowbray we can have really long bad spells but then have a couple of decent runs and the fanbase lurch from “enough’s enough” to “ he’s earned more time”. The only problem is that more time looks like simply more of the same due to his inability to recruit well or to get the best out of his team due to his self-inflicted midfield rotation policy. Then you throw in that he can’t get us motivated for local derbies and it starts to grate.

He has to show a stepped-change in performances. Consistency of selection and a style of play and understanding between players developing rather than this schizophrenic approach brought on by too many changes. There have been times this season where we look like strangers on the pitch.

Our squad is significantly weaker than last season and must be addressed. Personally I have no confidence that Mowbray will address this in January. Or even that he recognises the need. This lack of confidence in there being any change is the most important factor to me. Do we have time to tread water?

It's Bowyer all over again. Fans would grow weary of his defeatist tactics and dour pessimism, when all of a sudden he'd pull a few rabbits out of the hat. In turn, fans cling onto this slither of hope because they're afraid of the alternative.

Edited by Amo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amo said:

It's Bowyer all over again. Fans would grow weary of his defeatist tactics and dour pessimism, when all of a sudden he'd pull a few rabbits out of the hat. In turn, fans cling onto this slither of hope because they're afraid of the alternative.

Pretty much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many similarities to GBs last months in charge, change of style suppossed to be designed to be better on the eye and aiming for top 6 but proving anything but.

Good young player sold out the blue on the eve of the season, struggling for goals yet defence making same old mistakes.  Poor demeanor and silly comments grating fans. Favouritism on the pitch despite other options and obviously not working.

Only difference Mowbray has his mates all there working for him and has a budget and been able to spend money Bowyer could only dream about. Therefore the similarities end.

Not good enough !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with shipping Mulgrew out is we are no better defensively, and now do bugger all with corners and free kicks. 

Whilst some people said they were happy he had gone, it was only a good move if we got adequate replacements in and stopped shipping 2 or more goals every game. 

We havent. It's another move by Mowbray which has failed.

Edited by Hasta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up on the highlights of the rest of yesterday's games and noticed Wigan shipped yet another late goal with Charlie at the heart of the defence.... 

I like the guy but I felt a lot more confident we'd see the game out yesterday than I used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ossydave said:

Just catching up on the highlights of the rest of yesterday's games and noticed Wigan shipped yet another late goal with Charlie at the heart of the defence.... 

I like the guy but I felt a lot more confident we'd see the game out yesterday than I used to.

Yeah I checked to see if had been starting in Wigan's poor run too. No surprises he has and think he is finished as a centre back (but not necessarily at defensive mid). The other thing that struck me was looking at Wigan's team and Luton's how the heck could we have been below them/in a relegation fight earlier in the season given the dross in their teams? Shows that there are some very limited squads out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2019 at 09:55, Hasta said:

The problem with shipping Mulgrew out is we are no better defensively, and now do bugger all with corners and free kicks. 

Whilst some people said they were happy he had gone, it was only a good move if we got adequate replacements in and stopped shipping 2 or more goals every game. 

We havent. It's another move by Mowbray which has failed.

Lol, this hasn't aged well. Don't worry, you could easily find similar from me around this time too. 

Wigan fans on Twitter saying Mulgrew needs to be dropped and a defensive mid, whose name I can't recall, needs to start in his place. I think we all saw the issues with him last season and it appears there is no Indian summer. He's not even scoring anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lol, this hasn't aged well. Don't worry, you could easily find similar from me around this time too. 

Wigan fans on Twitter saying Mulgrew needs to be dropped and a defensive mid, whose name I can't recall, needs to start in his place. I think we all saw the issues with him last season and it appears there is no Indian summer. He's not even scoring anymore. 

True.

I'm putting it all down to Nyambe  😀

4 weeks ago I would have played Mulgrew had he still been here but not now. 

Edited by Hasta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same as here last season he was ok early doors then ran out of puff, his legs are gone.  I said this 2 seasons ago he needed to retire from international football if he wanted to remain a decent championship defender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Same as here last season he was ok early doors then ran out of puff, his legs are gone.  I said this 2 seasons ago he needed to retire from international football if he wanted to remain a decent championship defender.

Scottish international football is like the hotel California it seems....

100% he should have to pick at this stage. 

Is he out of contract here in the summer? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just having a look at Wigan's record with and without Mulgrew this season.

With: W3 D3 L7 - 0.92pts/game

Without: W1 D1 L6 - 0.5pts/game

So if anything, they do slightly better with him in the side.

Compare that with his record at Rovers since we have been back at this level:

With: W7 D9 L14 - 1pt/game

Without: W21 D8 L13 - 1.69pts/game

(Games include cup games, but I've put it as pts/game just as an easy comparison)

Edited by LeftWinger
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Was just having a look at Wigan's record with and without Mulgrew this season.

With: W3 D3 L7 - 0.92pts/game

Without: W1 D1 L6 - 0.5pts/game

So if anything, they do slightly better with him in the side.

Compare that with his record at Rovers since we have been back at this level:

With: W7 D9 L14 - 1pt/game

Without: W21 D8 L13 - 1.69pts/game

(Games include cup games, but I've put it as pts/game just as an easy comparison)

I'm still one of those who thinks that Mulgrew has something to offer in this division, even in defence, but if your team has already got a soft underbelly and then he's not going to do anything to remedy that. Strange signing for Wigan given that their away & defensive problems are not too dissimilar to ours last season, only quite a bit worse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm still one of those who thinks that Mulgrew has something to offer in this division, even in defence, but if your team has already got a soft underbelly and then he's not going to do anything to remedy that. Strange signing for Wigan given that their away & defensive problems are not too dissimilar to ours last season, only quite a bit worse!

I am still a firm believer that his time at the Rovers had run its course. Thanks but goodbye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

 

Is he out of contract here in the summer? 

End of June 2021 according to transfermarket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rigger said:

I am still a firm believer that his time at the Rovers had run its course. Thanks but goodbye.

Wouldn't disagree, Tosin of the last few weeks looks a real upgrade on anyone we've had there in a good while, including Charlie.

Only saying that in a different set up which plays to his strengths a little more then I can still see him looking at home at this level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unpopular opinions 1

Tosin, best Centre half we have had since Duffy.

No, no stop throwing stuff at me, I'm leaving , I'm leaving :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness there isn't much competition there save for Lenihan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness I think a lot of the uproar about Mulgrew was he wasn't replaced more than the quality of his defending. A lot of concern was also that we would miss his goals and set piece threat. Both of those things remain true. 

Had we another set piece specialist or brought in defensive cover (no defenders on the bench at the weekend) then there would be little sadness over him going. 

As it is, he isn't that great defensively and imo done as a centre back in a 2. That said a canny manager might still get a lot out of him as one of three centre backs or in defensive mid imo. Wigan are having him as one of two centre backs (or were when I last checked) and that isn't really working...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Unpopular opinions 1

Tosin,   POTENTIALLY best Centre half we have had since Duffy.

No, no stop throwing stuff at me, I'm leaving , I'm leaving :) 

 

Looks a bit better now 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Unpopular opinions 1

Tosin, best Centre half we have had since Duffy.

No, no stop throwing stuff at me, I'm leaving , I'm leaving :) 

 

Best since Nelsen!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.