SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Useless But Interesting Rovers History Facts

benhben

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, JHRover said:

3) The only club to have founded and won both the Football League and Premier League.

I don't think Rovers founded the Premier League. We were a year too late.

We kicked off in the Premier League's first season but the founding vote came the season before. 

Another odd fact is that Notts County and Luton Town were themselves founder members of the PL but have never played in it. Relegated the season Rovers were promoted, I believe. 

First club to be run by clueless chicken farmers.

First club to have a manager that must like eating dog food as he has no dog.

First (and will be the last) club to spend $1 million on Jordan Slew.

First club to claim that Coyle was ever 'the outstanding' candidate.

First pitch to contain a watering hole, which on match days was covered with timber and turf

William Townley scored the first hat-trick in the history of the FA Cup Final in 1890 (Rovers 61 Sheffield Wednesday)

Rovers scored the most goals and got the most clean sheets in the first Premier League season

Mike Newell scored the 1,000th goal of the Premier League

On 18/01/2018 at 15:48, philipl said:

And still the only football club in the world to have won major honours in the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries is....

Keep expecting that one to go but the clubs which could spoil our party of one by winning something are mostly in the Championship or lower. I guess the newly rich Wolves are now the most likely to join us now. 

Does the league cup really count as 'major' honours?

When Rovers won the FA Cup in 1884, the previous winners had been Blackburn Olympic.  This would mean the cup travelled the shortest distance between its winners.  It travelled from Olympic's Hole i'th Wall ground through Corporation Park to Rovers' Leamington Street ground.  This is slightly nearer than when Liverpool won the cup in 1966 and Everton were the previous holders.  I really should get out more often.

Anorak Of Fire

1 minute ago, West Yorks Rover said:

I could be wrong, but wasn't the FA Cup tie between Rovers and Southampton back in the 80's at Ewood, the first to be shown live

on UK tv ? apart from the final of course.

I seem to remember it being on a Friday night, Rovers lost 1-0 I think and one of the Wallace brothers scored ?

Or was it Steve Moran ? Cracking game. We played well, but Soton had that extra bit of class. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Or was it Steve Moran ? Cracking game. We played well, but Soton had that extra bit of class. 

Could have been Moran Jim, maybe I just remember Wallace playing very well ?

Yes it was a cracking game, I think there was about 15,000 on Ewood, which I suppose wasn't a bad crowd considering it was live on the BBC.

Archived