BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Simon Garner

Hi all,

I know it's been a while sorry. I was hoping someone could advise me I am in the process of collecting some items of the above legend I was wondering does anyone have any video/dvd footage of games with Simon Garner especially interested in the game he scored a hatrick against the Dingles does anyone have or know where I might be able to get hold of some footage of his goals have looked on youtube & surprisingly there is very little footage any ideas on the above player will be gratefully appreciated Thanks Savio.

I wish you well with this quest. To the best of my recollection games were not routinely filmed until circa  '88/'89 season. Until then we had to rely on the BBC / ITV, therefore there may only be footage of perhaps three or four games per season during Garner' s first decade playing for us - '78-'88. Of course he didn't necessarily score in those filmed games although I always thought he turned it on a little for the cameras ;)

This lack of footage is a great pity. His five against Derby and his four against Sunderland (?) weren't recorded to the best of my knowledge. I certainly haven't seen them since. So many of his wonderful finishes sadly only exist in the memory bank.

I don't remember a Garner hat trick against Burnley although he generally scored when we played them, including two penalties in one game if I recall correctly.

YouTube has a number of his goals, perhaps thirty or so. His great goal against Liverpool in the FA cup '83 was recorded but I haven't seen it on YouTube.

The Elton Welsby fronted 'Kick Off' magazine show in the late 80's showed all his goals, which would amount to forty or so in his final four seasons between '88-'92. I would wager about another thirty or forty across the rest of his career at Rovers were filmed so probably close to eighty goals in total have existed on video at one time or another. 

It can be fruitful searching YouTube for other clubs. For example, a Garner goal away at Swindon in '84 in the FA cup is on there. I went to that game so it was nice to see it again recently. 

If anyone has footage on video of Rovers matches that aren't on YouTube I am happy to convert them and publish it for all of us to enjoy. I live locally but have limited time so only really want to commit to videos from the '70's/'80's. 

The only hatrick against that lot was 3 pens in the infamous Darwen End roof game i think. One was a retake but he did bag all 3 two of them in the DE goal at least which went down a treat with the unwashed i bet :lol:

There was a good montage of some of his goals on YouTube by whittleblue i seem to recall.

19 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The only hatrick against that lot was 3 pens in the infamous Darwen End roof game i think. One was a retake but he did bag all 3 two of them in the DE goal at least which went down a treat with the unwashed i bet :lol:

There was a good montage of some of his goals on YouTube by whittleblue i seem to recall.

I saw that win v Burnley in 1983. Took my Dad, one of his last games.

To this day I'm convinced I saw at least one person fall through the Darwen End roof onto the rabble below.

The crowd that day was just under 14,500

8 hours ago, Brfcrule1 said:

Hi all,

I know it's been a while sorry. I was hoping someone could advise me I am in the process of collecting some items of the above legend I was wondering does anyone have any video/dvd footage of games with Simon Garner especially interested in the game he scored a hatrick against the Dingles does anyone have or know where I might be able to get hold of some footage of his goals have looked on youtube & surprisingly there is very little footage any ideas on the above player will be gratefully appreciated Thanks Savio.

AS TP said look for Whittleblue stuff on youtube

A great bloke started a thread with some Garner youtube stuff in. There's a compilation of Garner goals posted on September 7th.

47 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I saw that win v Burnley in 1983. Took my Dad, one of his last games.

To this day I'm convinced I saw at least one person fall through the Darwen End roof onto the rabble below.

The crowd that day was just under 14,500

One of my favourite memories from being a youngster that match it's photographically etched in the brain Garner smashing the penalty home then the jeers when the ref ordered a retake and he smashed it in again. I remember them throwing a proper flair on the pitch then the ref taking the players off whilst their chairman or manager went on the PA and called them 'animals' or something much to the delight of the home fans :lol:

If ever they proved what a stinking little mob they used to be it was that day. Burnley fans are angelic these days compared to what they were.

Good old Simon was always a thorn in their side and didn't they just love him !

Also I think I read somewhere the crowd was restricted even back then at Ewood and looking back the one at the Turd on Boxing day that season was a 20k plus full house, almost unheard of then. Must've been a rum day to end up with the return being restricted.

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

One of my favourite memories from being a youngster that match it's photographically etched in the brain Garner smashing the penalty home then the jeers when the ref ordered a retake and he smashed it in again. I remember them throwing a proper flair on the pitch then the ref taking the players off whilst their chairman or manager went on the PA and called them 'animals' or something much to the delight of the home fans :lol:

If ever they proved what a stinking little mob they used to be it was that day. Burnley fans are angelic these days compared to what they were.

Good old Simon was always a thorn in their side and didn't they just love him !

Also I think I read somewhere the crowd was restricted even back then at Ewood and looking back the one at the Turd on Boxing day that season was a 20k plus full house, almost unheard of then. Must've been a rum day to end up with the return being restricted.

Their manager also came on the pitch and walked to the Darwen End to appeal to the rabble to calm down. They chucked bits of the roof and concrete at him. :D

I treated Dad to seats in the Nuttall Stand and had a great view. Good day to be a Rover.

His third goal that day was up there with the great goals on Ewood in my lifetime; a deft flick into space completely took two defenders out, an incredibly quick ten yard dash beat a third defender to the ball and a deadly accurate right footer saw the ball hit the inside of the post and into the net. He was lethal that season.

7 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Some fantastic clips in there. Watford away. Longest second half ever.

Great striker Garner.

These days he'd be snapped up as "a gamble" by a big club and probably get 10 mins game time every fortnight. 

How would you describe him in today’s terms? Who would you compare him too?

A little before my time you see and although I’ve seen from clips he was obviously an amazing finisher but what about his all round play and style?

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Garns humiliated the dingles when playing for WBA and Wycombe after he left us also.

Not seen this clip before when he was at Rovers:

Damm you Phillip .. Clicked on the link watched the video , clicked on another link watched the video , clicked on another link watched the play off games vs Palace ... ?

10 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

A little before my time you see and although I’ve seen from clips he was obviously an amazing finisher but what about his all round play and style?

I know you're not asking me but that swivel and shot by Dack that hit the post against Shrews had a hint of Garner.

14 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Quick (over 5 yards) instinctive player who came alive in the box , predominantly left footed  natural finisher , didn't blast them a la Shearer , but scored lots of goals in some bang average sides , I suppose you have heard all the "fag at halftime time stories "  and I suppose that's the reason he never got his move to a first division club , because he had the ability its difficult to compare him to today's players because the game has evolved so much but I suppose the most recent rovers player he similar to would be   perhaps a cross between Matt Jansen and Jordan Rhodes 

4 minutes ago, AJW said:

Quick (over 5 yards) instinctive player who came alive in the box , predominantly left footed  natural finisher , didn't blast them a la Shearer , but scored lots of goals in some bang average sides , I suppose you have heard all the "fag at halftime time stories "  and I suppose that's the reason he never got his move to a first division club , because he had the ability its difficult to compare him to today's players because the game has evolved so much but I suppose the most recent rovers player he similar to would be   perhaps a cross between Matt Jansen and Jordan Rhodes 

Fantastic

Typical Garner goal that v West Brom we saw that time and again, either foot when he got in that position you'd put your house on him. If only Rovers could've paired him with someone like Bob Taylor (I think that's him) when he was in his pomp.

I've said this before.

Rovers, before Garner, were a pretty footballing side whose players seemed reluctant to shoot. When Garner came into the first team..........what a breath of fresh air!  Shooting on target at every opportunity, winning corners, crossing from the wings and generally getting the best out of any situation such as winning throw-ins.

The Lincolnshire Poacher!

4 hours ago, AJW said:

Damm you Phillip .. Clicked on the link watched the video , clicked on another link watched the video , clicked on another link watched the play off games vs Palace ... ?

You are very brave, I have never seen the highlights from that debacle down at Selhurst Park and I never wish to as long as I live. 

Not not that I’m traumatised or anything of course. 

And I bloody hate glad all over and the Dave Clark five now. 

19 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

You are very brave, I have never seen the highlights from that debacle down at Selhurst Park and I never wish to as long as I live. 

Not not that I’m traumatised or anything of course. 

And I bloody hate glad all over and the Dave Clark five now. 

I watched highlights for the first time a year or so ago. The Miller miss had haunted me for years. It was as bad as I remembered. I found it theraputic to go through the process and relive the pain.

Our subsequent promo under Jack to the PL eased but did not erase Palace.

The only way that MGP's missed header can be cured is by our getting to the FA Cup Final. Well that will not be in my lifetime.

COYB

9 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Aguero. On a good day*

Need to bear in mind that this was the 80's. So we're going back a bit! But this guy was something else, scored for fun, got five against Derby. Scored against burnley. Great summation by AJW. Garner also had a great cross on him from the right wing. Would lead the line well in a "I'm not dropping back in anymore" sort of way but he'd make runs across the back line to create space / beat the offside trap and he'd also hold the ball up well to bring others into play, invariably knocking the ball out wide to Windy Miller or Noel / Scott. Was very quick over the first few yards. And deadly in the box. He'd walk into our current side no problem.

A better all round player than Rhodes, certainly over those first few yards. Not as skillful as Jansen. But AJW isn't far off there imo. A cross between the two perhaps. Oh and Sergio of course.

(*A good day for Aguero that is.?)

5 hours ago, bob fleming said:

but he'd make runs across the back line to create space / beat the offside trap and he'd also hold the ball up well to bring others into play, invariably knocking the ball out wide to Windy Miller or Noel / Scott. Was very quick over the first few yards. And deadly in the box. He'd walk into our current side no problem.

I was genuinely going to make the comparison with Aguero because of the way he played, as per your description, and specifically the way he ran across the front line with and without the ball. He had a better left foot than Aguero though so I didn't bother.;)

A lot of Danny Graham' s finishes are strongly reminiscent of Garner. From up in the stands, Graham sometimes resembles the great man at a glance with the number 10 on his back. 

If Graham was lighter footed and quicker he would be a spot on comparison.

Archived