BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Slowburn Rovers

Pedro

I just got thinking about how quickly we write players off and those who have gone on to prove us wrong - eventually.  I don't like any player to fail and I live in hope that say, Gladwin,  comes back fitter and with self-belief and does well for the club.

I'll kick off with my favourite slow burner and best memory:  Andy Todd. He was a pretty naff, uninspiring squad man for Rovers until (it pains me to say) he was shipped off to Burnley on loan and came back one hell of a player. For someone so average in height, he didn't miss many headers, never bullied, strong as an ox and he just had 'presence' (which I'm sure Robin Van Persie would also agree).  He was a cracking player for us and worthy player of the season.  Best memory, kicking Christophe Dugarry clean up his arse.

• Backroom

Marcuss Olsson looked like he was brought in to keep his brother happy, seemed popular to have around and got another contract then really came into his own and became a decent player in the Championship.

If we kept hold of Josh King he could have been another as well if played in his best position.

Hoping the same for Nyambe after being written off by many 

Not rovers ,but I went to a Utd game with a friend a few years ago. It was Evras first game. They played Fulham and won 3-1. Ferguson brought evra on at half-time and he was getting such a doing by their winger,possibly boa morte,that he hauled him off around the 65 minute mark. He didn't turn out too bad after 

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not rovers ,but I went to a Utd game with a friend a few years ago. It was Evras first game. They played Fulham and won 3-1. Ferguson brought evra on at half-time and he was getting such a doing by their winger,possibly boa morte,that he hauled him off around the 65 minute mark. He didn't turn out too bad after 

I hope you're no longer friends and that you've never been back.

Did Henning Berg make his debut at left-back in the Ewood leg of the semi against Sheff Wed or was I very very drunk? Whoever it was had a torrid time against Waddle. Patrick Andersson made his debut round then too. The first thing I remember Samba doing was an air shot in the box as a cross came in. He looked like Bambi on ice. He was soon Torville and Dean. 

Ooijer had a dodgy start - almost as bad as Woodgate at Madrid - but once bedded in became a rock alongside Nelsen and Samba.

*blue blood already got there

After Salgado’s first game some wag wrote ‘looks like Tugay, paid like Tuncay, plays like Tudgay’, which made me laugh at the time.

14 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Did Henning Berg make his debut at left-back in the Ewood leg of the semi against Sheff Wed or was I very very drunk? Whoever it was had a torrid time against Waddle. Patrick Andersson made his debut round then too. The first thing I remember Samba doing was an air shot in the box as a cross came in. He looked like Bambi on ice. He was soon Torville and Dean. 

I think Tony Dobson and Steve Livingstone made their debuts on that game - I could be wrong though.

After a quick Google- I am definitely wrong. It said Livingstone joined in 91...I don't remember him in the promotion season ?

• Backroom
50 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Ooijer had a mare his first few games before settling down and being a good player.

Can't think of many more who've done it this way but plenty who've gone the other way, started well then faded badly.

He was poor until he broke a leg at City if I remember rightly. 

• Backroom

He only had a fleeting stay but Jermaine Jones had a bad debut, rash tackles and silly free kicks conceded but then started to look like an enforcer 

10 hours ago, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

I think Vratty Gresky had a few shockers before becoming a really solid left back, that was too short lived though as Danny Mills broke him on the last day of the season and he was never the same for us again.

Who?

If you mean Gresko, he was solid until we made his loan deal permanent then he went backwards.

19 hours ago, Pedro said:

I think Tony Dobson and Steve Livingstone made their debuts on that game - I could be wrong though.

After a quick Google- I am definitely wrong. It said Livingstone joined in 91...I don't remember him in the promotion season ?

Only thing that I remember is Simon Garner scored two in Kenny's first game and Kenny dropped him for Livingstone against Swindon for his second

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Who?

If you mean Gresko, he was solid until we made his loan deal permanent then he went backwards.

I did mean Gresko yes... my phone's predictive text/autocorrect has been ridiculous recently. Apologies.

Agree on his form dipping after the contract but I also seem to remember partly blaming Danny Mills for a terrible challenge too.

Edit... http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/5905179.Gresko_break_sours_the_day/?ref=arc

8 hours ago, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

I did mean Gresko yes... my phone's predictive text/autocorrect has been ridiculous recently. Apologies.

Agree on his form dipping after the contract but I also seem to remember partly blaming Danny Mills for a terrible challenge too.

Edit... http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/5905179.Gresko_break_sours_the_day/?ref=arc

If memory serves me correctly the selling of Duff , didnt help Gresko ! 

Archived