BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton

Cracking win against the Cod Army today

Can't wait for next weekend and the following Tuesday; two home games in a row

Can we keep up the momentum? Will the Shrews capitulate now we have gone into second place?

What side would you start with? I see no reason to change the eleven that have begun the last two matches but will TM freshen it up?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of ex-Rovers players in The Cobblers' ranks: Matt Grimes and Raheem Hanley.

Hanley, who is Blackburn-born and came through our youth system, is now 23 years old, and has has made just 6 senior appearances in his career (3 starts, and 3 as a sub, and only ever for Northampton Town). Hanley has yet to be in a winning side. I have no point to make, but I though it was interesting. It's Sunday. I'm bored.

9 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Couple of ex-Rovers players in The Cobblers' ranks: Matt Grimes and Raheem Hanley.

Hanley, who is Blackburn-born and came through our youth system, is now 23 years old, and has has made just 6 senior appearances in his career (3 starts, and 3 as a sub, and only ever for Northampton Town). Hanley has yet to be in a winning side. I have no point to make, but I though it was interesting. It's Sunday. I'm bored.

Tricky game this one, players need to focus on their tasks, no room for complacency.  A should win game but one never knows.

• Paul pinned this topic

Wigan play their cup game saturday so have no league game. Real chance to close the gap and put a bit more pressure on them.

Its been a bit of a struggle at home this season at times. Hopefully the last home game is a sign of things changing and we can kick on

I would play the new lads in an attacking pacey team. I cant see the need for a cautious line up as they will likely sit deep and stay compact. A fast start and early goal could make it a relitively straight forward afternoon. The more we let them play the more likely for them to grow in confidence. With our front 4 all wanting to play fairly narrow its key our fullbacks overlap similar to how Spurs play (though no where near as good)!

Raya

Nyambe  Downing Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Bennett

Payne         Dack            Armstrong

Graham

25 minutes ago, benhben said:

I would play the new lads in an attacking pacey team. I cant see the need for a cautious line up as they will likely sit deep and stay compact. A fast start and early goal could make it a relitively straight forward afternoon. The more we let them play the more likely for them to grow in confidence. With our front 4 all wanting to play fairly narrow its key our fullbacks overlap similar to how Spurs play (though no where near as good)!

Raya

Nyambe  Downing Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Bennett

Payne         Dack            Armstrong

Graham

I can't see what Williams has done to be dropped. Apart from that lineup looks decent.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I can't see what Williams has done to be dropped. Apart from that lineup looks decent.

Williams may not have done anything that merits being dropped, but he also has not done anything to make his place guaranteed.

Worst side I've seen this season, we had flu running though the team, Mulgrew pulled out just before the game and we still should have won easily.

The keeper was an arse, baiting the away fans at the end, hope he gets some stick.

3-1 Rovers 

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

The keeper was an arse, baiting the away fans at the end, hope he gets some stick.

Lest we forget. I hope the jelly babies get handed out again.

From about 11 mins 25 seconds. Lovely comment from the rovers fan about his genitalia.....and how Williams sportingly doesn't shake the keepers hand at the end...

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Only reasoning was A. Williams has played every minute of every game so could do with a rest and B. We were led to believe pace was one of Amari Bells strenghts which is vital out wide if we have 4 narrow front players. I doubt it would affect the performance much though. 

16 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

By the time Wigan play a league game we could be a point in front of them so here’s hoping they draw with wham FC and we scuttle Northampton and Walsall ⚽️⚽️⚽️

Pressure is on

If we can go top.. Wigan may wobble points in the bag are better than games in hand 

17 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

By the time Wigan play a league game we could be a point in front of them so here’s hoping they draw with wham FC and we scuttle Northampton and Walsall ⚽️⚽️⚽️

Pressure is on

Wigan also play next Tuesday, Rochdale away.

Mowbray won't start Bell this weekend. Williams was player of last season and an ever present this year. Mowbray isn't that ruthless. 

However, if Bell does have pace then he needs bringing in sooner rather than later. We have been too slow and static all season and Mowbray' s recent signings show that he identifies this as a problem that needs rectifying.

Williams is just a bog standard full back and Bell could make a huge difference if he can live up to his promise.

Williams has had to plug away all season in that spot with no real back up and probably played when he's been struggling with a knock or two or illness so I can see Bell being eased in in games from about 75 mins to take the pressure off Derek a bit. I just hope we don't go down the old making subs just to get people on and involved routine instead of sticking to a plan of what might be needed in the game now the squad has expanded.

Another tricky one who are likely to park the bus and try and nick a set piece goal, open them up early and we should be fine but this could be a grind otherwise.

Rovers 1   Northampton 0

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Wigan also play next Tuesday, Rochdale away.

That game may not go ahead, Rochdale are having really terrible problems with their pitch. I saw photos of the pitch after the rain covers has been lifted for the ref's inspection on Saturday morning and it was a quagmire.  Totally unplayable. They put 80 tonnes of sand on it a few weeks back and now the top surface can't drain away and we've had lots of rain since then.

Archived