BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton

Just now, den9112 said:

I think Williams is a far better centre back than Mulgrew,better in the air and quicker ... Just my opinion

You’ve seen that from just 75 minutes of play against a team we had penned in their half for long periods?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we got some good balls and crosses in nsecond half but players didn't take a chance getting on the end of the,. Payne ball into the box was class and no one make a run to the back post. 

the Full backs provided the width like Bell and Nyambe were doing all game. 

On the signing on Payne, his technique and movement looked good yesterday and could play from the right wing easier 

on who is available, you at like there is loads of pacey winger out there, there isn't. You couldn't name me a couple of pacey wingers at this level who we could get. You tend to sign players who are available and might available, no point over paying for players. Look at how much Peterbrough want for Marriott, over 4 million pounds. 

I would be looking sign Chapman permanently. 

Plenty of hopeful balls but no clear cut chances, thats my point. Maybe it would have helped if one of the strikers playing wide were in the middle with Graham, heaven forbid seeing as it was attack v defence. No matter how you dress it up, yes we were dominant but we werent creative and efficient enough in the final third. We had all the pressure but didnt make enough clear cut chances to justify that.

Chaddy, I dont know who is available!!! I dont know its not my job to negotiate and find players. I suggested Adelakum at Scunthorpe but you cant say, because I dont know personally any wingers we can sign that none are available. 

If you asked me to give you a list of centre backs, of goalkeepers, of strikers that are available, I dont know that either.

Much use that is when hes injured for months.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

balls but no clear cut chances, thats my point

Samuel missed a sitter and Dack missed a headed chance, and that's just two of the top of my head that i remember , we drew the match because we didn't have the brains to get through them  ...Just my opinion

16 hours ago, JAL said:

Nobody's is getting on Ryan's case at the matches this is away from the game and key moments dictate the outcome. Searching for Ryan when Northampton scored ok he may have been at fault but then he had loads of time to redeem himself and provide an answer in attack to win the game back.

Nyambe got forward several times throughout the match, and caused them problems - although Bell ended up outdoing Nyambe at that when he came on!

There have been plenty of times this season where Rovers fans on here have criticised Nyambe - where have you been all season?! Not at Ewood, or watching the matches, evidently.

Lately, Nyambe has vastly improved, and is by far and away our best right-back option now. He perhaps should have marked better for the goal, but that's one mistake. Why aren't you rabbiting on about Mulgrew against Fleetwood, or Williams, who put in one of his worst defensive performances for a while in that match?

You call me bang out of order for thinking that you hate Nyambe, but I don't see how else you expect people to view your crusade against him? I'd honestly love to know what has gone on between you and him, or you and his associates, because footballing reasons aside, I honestly can't fathom why you have this awful opinion of him.

25 minutes ago, den9112 said:

I think Williams is a far better centre back than Mulgrew,better in the air and quicker ... Just my opinion

Honestly?

Distribution, reading play, composure, leadership, current international player and the small matter of goals scored in double figures.

33 minutes ago, den9112 said:

You could argue he is better at the defensive side alright,particularly from an athletic point of view eg in the air,pace and strength. What Mulgrew does is read the game very well,leads the team well and is fair better on the ball  

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Taking Smallwood seems sensible decision as we didn't need a holding midfielder at that time

Dack in the number 10 role wasn't in the game due to his space being blocked by Grimes. So by playing Payne there and Dack deeper was trying to created more spaces. 

We didn’t need a holding midfielder but we needed to play Dack deeper?

That’s in a single post too!

The changes made yesterday were poor.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Plenty of hopeful balls but no clear cut chances, thats my point. Maybe it would have helped if one of the strikers playing wide were in the middle with Graham, heaven forbid seeing as it was attack v defence. No matter how you dress it up, yes we were dominant but we werent creative and efficient enough in the final third. We had all the pressure but didnt make enough clear cut chances to justify that.

Chaddy, I dont know who is available!!! I dont know its not my job to negotiate and find players. I suggested Adelakum at Scunthorpe but you cant say, because I dont know personally any wingers we can sign that none are available. 

If you asked me to give you a list of centre backs, of goalkeepers, of strikers that are available, I dont know that either.

Much use that is when hes injured for months.

I never asked you who was available just asked you for some names of pacey wingers at this level? yet again you dodgy the question as per usual. 

Dack has a chance, Graham had a chance at the back post, Samuel had 1 chance and fluffed it. 

Samuel and Armstrong didn't stay wide that much and played more inside. Bell and Nyambe provided the width. 

The lack of pace wasn't the much the problem for me. it was players not gambling on a good cross or taking a chance. 

Just now, Stuart said:

We didn’t need a holding midfielder but we needed to play Dack deeper?

That’s in a single post too!

The changes made yesterday were poor.

Dack played deeper so get on the ball more and get into the box from deeper areas. 

When Dack played in the 10 role, Grimes deny him the space and time he has been getting recently so was less effective. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I never asked you who was available just asked you for some names of pacey wingers at this level? yet again you dodgy the question as per usual. 

Dack has a chance, Graham had a chance at the back post, Samuel had 1 chance and fluffed it. 

Samuel and Armstrong didn't stay wide that much and played more inside. Bell and Nyambe provided the width. 

The lack of pace wasn't the much the problem for me. it was players not gambling on a good cross or taking a chance. 

But I don't know League 1 that well, but its irrelevant, the point is we are crying out for width to stretch defences like yesterday, all our wide players are strikers who look uncomfortable there, number 10s who want to come inside, or in Conway someone who is sadly past his best. Your usual line is "maybe thats how Mowbray wants to play" which just means you wouldnt criticise regardless so theres no point in this debate.

They werent clear cut chance, half chances but no more, and not worthy of the constant possession in their half we had, it wasnt nearly enough.

From very limited knowledge, Wigan have Massey and now Jamie Walker, Scunthorpe have Adelakun, Charlton have Mark Marshall and Sullay Kaikai, Rotherham have Jon Taylor, Portsmouth have Lowe, Peterborough have Maddison, Fleetwood have McAleny, all of this is beside the point but I hope this will stop you from constantly peddling the same myth.

Yeah, because we had 2 strikers that were needed in wide areas, so they werent in the centre to gamble on crosses. If we had an actual winger they wouldnt be needed there. Both Armstrong and Samuel were really poor. But they are strikers, not wingers. Samuel always looks like he cant be bothered there and Armstrong was unhappy at Bolton playing there. Square pegs. Round holes.

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But I don't know League 1 that well, but its irrelevant, the point is we are crying out for width to stretch defences like yesterday, all our wide players are strikers who look uncomfortable there, number 10s who want to come inside, or in Conway someone who is sadly past his best. Your usual line is "maybe thats how Mowbray wants to play" which just means you wouldnt criticise regardless so theres no point in this debate.

They werent clear cut chance, half chances but no more, and not worthy of the constant possession in their half we had, it wasnt nearly enough.

From very limited knowledge, Wigan have Massey and now Jamie Walker, Scunthorpe have Adelakun, Charlton have Mark Marshall and Sullay Kaikai, Rotherham have Jon Taylor, Portsmouth have Lowe, Peterborough have Maddison, Fleetwood have McAleny, all of this is beside the point but I hope this will stop you from constantly peddling the same myth.

Yeah, because we had 2 strikers that were needed in wide areas, so they werent in the centre to gamble on crosses. If we had an actual winger they wouldnt be needed there. Both Armstrong and Samuel were really poor. But they are strikers, not wingers. Samuel always looks like he cant be bothered there and Armstrong was unhappy at Bolton playing there. Square pegs. Round holes.

well that is how Mowbray wants to play with full back providing the width mostly. 

Walker would have been decent here, Taylor has been mention on here and might be someone we bid for before the deadline. 

Dack header was weak and should have been a lot better. 

Antonsson played from the left and played well and scored 8 goals from there. Samuel is being asked to do a job there and yesterday he was poor apart from the cross for Graham goal. 

Armstrong and Samuel didn't stay wide and went more inside but didn't go to the far post enough and gamble on crossing being put in. Nyambe and Bell provided the width

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

the ref was shocking. how O'toole was booked during that game is unbelieving for constant backing into our defenders and how fouling our players at throw ins

refs at this level aren't good enough, time the FA forgot this VAR stuff and spend the money on developing better refs and improving them. 

I agree. 

Again I say - Wigan and Shrewsbury get the same inept unfit officials yet collect more points than us. Savvy teams find ways to overcome 'misfortune' and poor decisions. We can moan at them all we like but unless there's evidence of a conspiracy against Rovers from the officials I'm not sure what we can do about it.

The reason we didn't win yesterday was because we conceded out of nothing (again - how many times is that we give the opposition goals against the run of play?) and then failed to break them down until 75 minutes. 

How many serious saves did their keeper have to make? Not the referees fault.

Just now, JHRover said:

I agree. 

Again I say - Wigan and Shrewsbury get the same inept unfit officials yet collect more points than us. Savvy teams find ways to overcome 'misfortune' and poor decisions. We can moan at them all we like but unless there's evidence of a conspiracy against Rovers from the officials I'm not sure what we can do about it.

The reason we didn't win yesterday was because we conceded out of nothing (again - how many times is that we give the opposition goals against the run of play?) and then failed to break them down until 75 minutes. 

How many serious saves did their keeper have to make? Not the referees fault.

do they? I don't see their games. 

But what I do know is that for the Rovers Shrewsbury game the ref was inept and biased towards Shrewsbury. 

same yesterday. O'Toole constant fouling our players and ref didn't give fouls. wonder why?

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

do they? I don't see their games. 

But what I do know is that for the Rovers Shrewsbury game the ref was inept and biased towards Shrewsbury. 

same yesterday. O'Toole constant fouling our players and ref didn't give fouls. wonder why?

Mowbray isn't giving out to them enough. He needs to get on their backs,and the fans on their backs,particularly at home. 

We are on a great run of 17 games unbeaten (Best in the 4 x Divisions), if that was put forward at end of Oct everybody would have laughed !!!

It is often forgotten that every team no matter where they are in the league will give everything relevant to their position (IE out the relegation zone, nearer to play offs etc) we have no divine right to beat any team no matter what position in the league.

You only have to look at recent results (Liverpool losing 1-0 to Swansea and Wolves losing at home to Nottingham Forest) to name two but there are many more.  

The fact of life is there are many people who only want to see negatives when the result does not match their expectation, some are middle of the road and sit on the fence and then the others who look for positives.

There is an old saying ' If you think you can you will and if you think you can't your probably right'

There are far more positives at Ewood at the moment and people have short memories with all the problems suffered in the past 7 years or so, enjoy the ride whilst it is happening I am enjoying every minute of it and trust TM and the squad to deliver promotion in the next 2-3 months. 

You tell me. I was under the impression that all games at this level were allocated referees from a pool of officials all with similar levels of experience and ability. If they're benefiting from better referees who we don't get allocated then fair enough. 

The referee allowed them to waste time and had clearly decided or had been instructed by a superior not to issue bookings unless it couldn't be avoided. Odd yes but had we been in the lead hanging on to a 1-0 scoreline I'd expect he'd have allowed us to waste time as they were. 

We could have done with some of their tactics away at Rotherham when 1-0 up or on the occasions we led vs Scunthorpe rather than doing what we did and letting them back in from nothing.

We knew what Northampton were all about yet couldn't deal with it again. 

11 minutes ago, Scratch Andy said:

We are on a great run of 17 games unbeaten (Best in the 4 x Divisions)

Yep, we know.

It is often forgotten that every team no matter where they are in the league will give everything relevant to their position (IE out the relegation zone, nearer to play offs etc) we have no divine right to beat any team no matter what position in the league.

Yep, we know.

You only have to look at recent results (Liverpool losing 1-0 to Swansea and Wolves losing at home to Nottingham Forest) to name two but there are many more.  

Yep, we know.

The fact of life is there are many people who only want to see negatives when the result does not match their expectation, some are middle of the road and sit on the fence and then the others who look for positives

Yep, we know.

There is an old saying ' If you think you can you will and if you think you can't your probably right'

Thanks

There are far more positives at Ewood at the moment and people have short memories with all the problems suffered in the past 7 years or so, enjoy the ride whilst it is happening I am enjoying every minute of it and trust TM and the squad to deliver promotion in the next 2-3 months. 

Thanks. I'm going to start enjoying it more now I've got your permission.

Any more patronising stating-the-bleeding-obvious lectures?

It's a forum for people who want to offer an opinion in case you hadn't noticed. Their opinion may differ to yours. There wouldn't be a forum otherwise.

No offence, like;)

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You tell me. I was under the impression that all games at this level were allocated referees from a pool of officials all with similar levels of experience and ability. If they're benefiting from better referees who we don't get allocated then fair enough. 

The referee allowed them to waste time and had clearly decided or had been instructed by a superior not to issue bookings unless it couldn't be avoided. Odd yes but had we been in the lead hanging on to a 1-0 scoreline I'd expect he'd have allowed us to waste time as they were. 

We could have done with some of their tactics away at Rotherham when 1-0 up or on the occasions we led vs Scunthorpe rather than doing what we did and letting them back in from nothing.

We knew what Northampton were all about yet couldn't deal with it again. 

The referees in League One are predominantly from the National List with the occasional Select Group Two being appointed. The National List referees will, in the main referee all the League One and Two teams over the course of the season.

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I forget to include Champions League experience. You are entitled to your opinion of course.

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I forget to include Champions League experience. You are entitled to your opinion of course.

We are talking here and now in what is Div 3 , this is what i am basing my knowledge and opinion on ...

Archived