Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yep, we know.

Yep, we know.

Yep, we know.

Yep, we know.

Thanks

Thanks. I'm going to start enjoying it more now I've got your permission.

Any more patronising stating-the-bleeding-obvious lectures?

It's a forum for people who want to offer an opinion in case you hadn't noticed. Their opinion may differ to yours. There wouldn't be a forum otherwise.

No offence, like;)

Patronising !!!  I am a new member and was just giving my opinion reading all the negative comments before, is that not allowed ?  

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Scratch Andy said:

Patronising !!!  I am a new member and was just giving my opinion reading all the negative comments before, is that not allowed ?  

You're not giving your opinion on the football, you're lecturing people on what they should expect and how they should react to the football they watch. So, yes, your post was very patronising.

Welcome to the board:rover: Everybody else is much nicer than me.:)

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

You're not giving your opinion on the football, you're lecturing people on what they should expect and how they should react to the football they watch. So, yes, your post was very patronising.

Welcome to the board:rover: Everybody else is much nicer than me.:)

Thanks for the Welcome

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray isn't giving out to them enough. He needs to get on their backs,and the fans on their backs,particularly at home. 

Really? 

Not for me but you are entitled to that opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Scratch Andy said:

Welcome Andy

Andy, best advice I can you is just to keep give your opinion and dont be put off by some people. If people annoyed you that much put them on ignore. I have 15/16 people on ignore on here. 

6 minutes ago, den9112 said:

We are talking here and now in what is Div 3 , this is what i am basing my knowledge and opinion on ...

I don't want to prolong this but Mulgrew has been our best player this season by a country mile in Division Three. Williams has been good recently but was shocking in the early part of the season although he has had more experience in Division Three than Mulgrew.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

well that is how Mowbray wants to play with full back providing the width mostly. 

Walker would have been decent here, Taylor has been mention on here and might be someone we bid for before the deadline. 

Dack header was weak and should have been a lot better. 

Antonsson played from the left and played well and scored 8 goals from there. Samuel is being asked to do a job there and yesterday he was poor apart from the cross for Graham goal. 

Armstrong and Samuel didn't stay wide and went more inside but didn't go to the far post enough and gamble on crossing being put in. Nyambe and Bell provided the width

Chaddy, youve asked me for a list of wingers, as if League 1 teams dont have wingers, ive given you an extensive list, along with reasons why I think we need one (to stretch teams that come to Ewood to frustrate and add balance to the team) and now youve reverted back to the "thats what Mowbray wants" argument, rendering the whole concept of a messageboard to be meaningless.

Samuel is being asked to do a job there, you have worded that perfectly. He is not a winger and looks like a fish out of water there. Hes not particularly good anyway but hes even worse out wide. Plus his attitude is poor. Him and Armstrong both were poor in unfamiliar wide roles.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Chaddy, youve asked me for a list of wingers, as if League 1 teams dont have wingers, ive given you an extensive list, along with reasons why I think we need one (to stretch teams that come to Ewood to frustrate and add balance to the team) and now youve reverted back to the "thats what Mowbray wants" argument, rendering the whole concept of a messageboard to be meaningless.

Samuel is being asked to do a job there, you have worded that perfectly. He is not a winger and looks like a fish out of water there. Hes not particularly good anyway but hes even worse out wide. Plus his attitude is poor. Him and Armstrong both were poor in unfamiliar wide roles.

Give it a rest for abit keep going on about winger. 

Stretch teams? Northampton sit deeper all game. Cant stretch teams who dont go forwards. Even their wingers for most of the second half played as full backs. 

IMO we need a tricky winger. Thats why suggest Payne to play wide right cos he has the skills and techique plus can play through balls to Graham and Dack in between their defenders. Then Nyambe can over lap him giving us the width on the right. 

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? 

Welcome Andy

Andy, best advice I can you is just to keep give your opinion and dont be put off by some people. If people annoyed you that much put them on ignore. I have 15/16 people on ignore on here. 

Thanks Chaddy appreciated

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? 

Welcome Andy

What isn't for you? That refs deserve a hard time from the crowd for f###ing up? Fair enough...

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Stretch teams? Northampton sit deeper all game. Cant stretch teams who dont go forwards. Even their wingers for most of the second half played as full backs. 

IMO we need a tricky winger. Thats why suggest Payne to play wide right cos he has the skills and techique plus can play through balls to Graham and Dack in between their defenders. Then Nyambe can over lap him giving us the width on the right. 

Not sure Nyambe has the vision, or perhaps the instinct, to know when to make that run, he always seems reluctant or hesitant to me

49 minutes ago, Scratch Andy said:

What you'll find out is one or two contributors are not dealing with a full deck.  It's not their fault really, just a quirk of birth. I tend to not take them too seriously.

4 hours ago, den9112 said:

Samuel missed a sitter and Dack missed a headed chance, and that's just two of the top of my head that i remember , we drew the match because we didn't have the brains to get through them  ...Just my opinion

and how many saves did their keeper have to make? Just my opinion.

5 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

so by the same reckoning we got 4 points from 2 games against Shrewsbury and Wigan got 1 it means nothing

Yes it does. Given that Shrewsbury are second and have been virtually all season,a game v them is a fifty/fifty proposition for us and Wigan.

2 points from 2 games against Northampton(and its not just Northampton is it?) are points thrown away.Its why they are top and we are 3rd.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mulgrew was poor for half hearted attempt in trying to blocked the cross that lead to their goal. 

Williams was leading the back 4 and him and Downing were communicated very well. watched it first half right in front of me. 

Taking Smallwood seems sensible decision as we didn't need a holding midfielder at that time

of course we try to win the game from minute 1 we were the team with most shots, possession and trying to win the game. Northampton were happy with defensive approach and at full time their fans celebrated like it was a win. We attacked for 99 % of the game. 

He didn't have a clue

the ref was shocking. how O'toole was booked during that game is unbelieving for constant backing into our defenders and how fouling our players at throw ins

refs at this level aren't good enough, time the FA forgot this VAR stuff and spend the money on developing better refs and improving them. 

poor yesterday? really

we completely domination the game. Their had 1 chance and scored it. Mulgrew was poor in not blocking the cross. 

Dack in the number 10 role wasn't in the game due to his space being blocked by Grimes. So by playing Payne there and Dack deeper was trying to created more spaces. 

Bell's debut was very good. we don't need to Mulgrew as we have enough players there. 

fast winger? cant think of too many out there who are available. hopefully we can get one but selling club might not want to sell right now

Missed the point again purposely i'm on about going all out from the off, of of course they are trying to win the game nobody said they weren't but just for your blinkered benefit we start a lump of a striker on the wing and a slow wide midfielder out the other side to shore it up.

We have the players now so lets start with a proper 3 pronged attack and give the opposition plenty to think about instead of just marking Dack out the game.

7 hours ago, grizfoot said:

I'm not too despondent after yesterday's draw. Got caught on the counter-attack and conceded from Northampton's only shot on target. Totally dominated the game otherwise and our new signings, particularly Payne and Bell look really promising, both undoubtedly an improvement to the squad and ones who should be pushing for a starting place on the back of what I've seen of them so far. Add to that we saw a few players in different positions Williams moved to centre-back and looked very comfortable there, he might be a good option there and soften the blow if Mulgrew is out for a while. Dack was moved into central midfield when Smallwood went off and didn't look out of place there and playing him deeper could be an interesting option if we want to play both him and Payne in the same side. Still unbeaten, if we can maintain the performance levels and dominate games like we did in this game we'll be going up.

um...."conceded from Northampton's only shot on target"  "Totally dominated the game otherwise" and you're "not too despondent". And it happens far too often.

Doesn't seem like a recipe for promotion to me.

7 hours ago, philipl said:

Makes Walsall a must win- heaps the pressure on us doubly- keeping pressure on for getting into the top two and Northampton as another bottom half team getting something from Ewood will give Walsall hope.

In fact from 14th to 20th we haven't beaten any of those teams at Ewood.

Walsall are 18th by the way. :(

Exactly what I've been banging about! Something very wrong here.

12 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Not sure how a draw can be held up as a sorry statistic against the owners.  We've played Northampton on six occasions now in League matches and the record is W2 D2 L2.  Seems we are a pretty even match on the odd occasions that we do meet over the years.  I predicted on Friday that yesterday would see us slip up and sadly I was proved right.  One thing that the Rovers can always be relied up to do is slip up when everyone expects a win.  Hopefully it works in reverse next week.  Home Park is a ground where we rarely do well at.  I don't think that we played all that badly yesterday but we did need a firmer referee who would have stamped out the time wasting and the niggling fouls that Northampton were so good at.  Fair play to them.  They came with spoiling tactics and it worked. 

You talk, as always, like it's some kind of natural order being restored. I'm not arsed if we played Northampton on Jupiter in 1916 the point is this is not a natural regression and the fact that we are pitted against such historical rubbing rag clubs as Northampton and Rochdale is bloody embarrassing in the scheme of the last 43 years (my lifetime). Obviously you may remember playing Ossy Rovers in the cup but it doesn't mean it's the natural way of things.  A draw against Northampton is shocking, as is this great club, the most successful town team ever, being at the same level as them.

8 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

You talk, as always, like it's some kind of natural order being restored. I'm not arsed if we played Northampton on Jupiter in 1916 the point is this is not a natural regression and the fact that we are pitted against such historical rubbing rag clubs as Northampton and Rochdale is bloody embarrassing in the scheme of the last 43 years (my lifetime). Obviously you may remember playing Ossy Rovers in the cup but it doesn't mean it's the natural way of things.  A draw against Northampton is shocking, as is this great club, the most successful town team ever, being at the same level as them.

I don’t think he said that it’s natural regression, nor does he suggest it’s a privilege to be at the same level.

One thing is apparent though, for some reason you see this and other fixtures as “below” the club, or even your own interest in the club. That saddens me, because it shows how the excuse for not attending is formulated, and it shows how it wouldn’t matter how we got to this level, (even natural regression) as it’s bellw your level of “acceptable viewing”.

We are all aware of why we are here, it just seems a few seem either unwilling to accept it, support our attempt at a return or simply see playing the likes of Plymouth and Northampton below themselves!  

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Now that is special :lol:

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn-rovers-1-northampton-town-1-match-review-player-ratings-and-highlights-1-8352252

Rovers had all of the possession, virtually all of the pressure and four times as many attempts on goal, but the fact of the matter is they didn’t do enough with the ball to merit more than a draw with most of those shots coming from unlikely scoring positions.

If football was merely a possession game, Rovers would have won this at a canter. Their attacking play lacked variation and cutting edge, so often resorting to getting the ball wide and crossing it into the box and that played right into the hands of their visitors as Ash Taylor, Regan Poole and Jordan Turnbull mopped up when needed.

A fair assessment from their local hack. Our attacking play has lacked variation and a cutting edge at home all season to teams that come to defend. Hopefully Payne will offer something different.

Archived