BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JIMMY ARMFIELD RIP

blueboy3333

Always seemed to be a very nice bloke and completely devoted to his beloved Blackpool. They dont make them like Jimmy, Finney, Ronnie and Duggy anymore more's the pity.

Didn't Bill Bancroft want him as manager at one point in the 70's? He turned us down but helped the Club in an advisory capacity for a period as I recall.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Always seemed to be a very nice bloke and completely devoted to his beloved Blackpool. They dont make them like Jimmy, Finney, Ronnie and Duggy anymore more's the pity.

Didn't Bill Bancroft want him as manager at one point in the 70's? He turned us down but helped the Club in an advisory capacity for a period as I recall.

I heard we wanted him as a player but he took the Bolton manager job.

A honest down to earth humble man, over 600 appearances for one club says it all...I listened to an interview he did with a radio station a while ago , not sure which one but it was that good i carried on listening well after i got to my destination, be nice to dig that out as it was certainly worth listening to for any football supporter....realy puts the modern game in to perspective 

• Like 1

I didn't realise he had such success as a manager. From Wiki:-

Not long after hanging up his boots, Armfield became manager of Bolton Wanderers in 1971, leading them to promotion to the Second Division in the 1972–73 season as Third Division champions.

On 4 October 1974, Armfield took the helm at Leeds United, replacing Brian Clough as manager, leading them to the European Cup Final in the 1974–75 season in which they lost 2–0 to Bayern Munich.[9] Assisted by Don Howe, Armfield was responsible for rebuilding Don Revie's ageing but still formidable side, a task which he achieved with some success. Armfield bought in players such as Tony Currie and Brian Flynn, and under his stewardship Leeds never finished outside of the top ten, qualified for the UEFA Cup,[10] and reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 1976–77 and the League Cup in 1977–78.[2]

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Armfield coined the memorable and accurate quote that the Ewood faithful were “more a jury than a crowd”.

I was just going to mention that one 'Blackburn don't have fans they have a jury' or something similar although I don't know which era it was referring to but occasionally in the past it's been hard to disagree !

Only remember him for his radio work mostly 5 live but he was always very good and realistic, a great leveller for pompous Green & Co.

RIP