BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A new era?

Obviously right now it's a fairly decent time to be a Rovers fan, highest league position we've been in in my lifetime (obviously within the context of league 1 though). There's been a lot of talk about a 'team spirit' that was lacking in the last 5 years. Is this rise sustainable or will we falter out a la Bowyer in the playoff charge a few years back? Additionally can you guys ever see us under Venky's actually getting back in the Prem or are we destined for Champ/L1 mediocrity?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, OxSouthernRover said:

Obviously right now it's a fairly decent time to be a Rovers fan, highest league position we've been in in my lifetime (obviously within the context of league 1 though). There's been a lot of talk about a 'team spirit' that was lacking in the last 5 years. Is this rise sustainable or will we falter out a la Bowyer in the playoff charge a few years back? Additionally can you guys ever see us under Venky's actually getting back in the Prem or are we destined for Champ/L1 mediocrity?

You would never know in football. Momentum is a big thing. 

5 minutes ago, OxSouthernRover said:

highest league position we've been in in my lifetime

That's one way of looking at it. Do you freelance for Pravda?;)

Who knows how this will end, it's a big debt-ridden mess, but I think if we don't go up this year we are royally buggered. Regardless, we are at the mercy of owners who shouldn't be anywhere near a football club, whichever way you look at it.

As for the Prem, anything is possible. Who'd have thought Dyche would have got Burnley up the first time when they were actually favourites to go down. It's all about getting the right people in the right jobs.

We're on a precipice with these morons at the helm and always will be.

At the time of writing things are good - arguably as good as they have been since 2010 despite our 3rd division status - competent manager with a plan, owners backing him, CEO appointed, decent enough transfer business, and most importantly good league results.

Things could range from one extreme to another in the next 6 months. We should get promoted with this squad and if we don't Mowbray has failed. If we do go up then it honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them 'reward' Mowbray by throwing some decent money his way to prepare for the Championship. If they do that and let him get on with it then we can look upwards again.

The alternative worst case scenario, which is entirely possible as seen recently in the Championship, is that we fail to go up, and Venkys respond by making massive, unsustainable cuts to the budgets, and the likely outcome of that is a further plummet down the divisions. A big difference between selling your better players to higher placed clubs when they want to leave and adopting a policy of selling whoever you can to whoever you can.

So 6-12 months from now we could be in either of those situations or somewhere inbetween.

I know TM has one eye on the double promotion bounce and nothing wrong with aiming high. Realistically I can see us getting promoted under TM and starting next season like a house on fire similar to Sheff United before fading off and finishing mid table.

As for a new era? We are still under the same regime that has destroyed everything about Blackburn Rovers for seven years now and although we are all enjoying the games this season and fully backing TM and the boys, a top 2 finish would still see us with our lowest league position in around 40 years. 

The reality is we could get back to the Premiership and have a better season that we had since winning it and some fans still wouldn't forgive. Personally, I think life is too short to be so bitter, but maybe that's just me. 

I think the owners were stupid more than bad, but the next season or two will really be defining of their reign. No more room for excuses and playing dumb. 

1 hour ago, OxSouthernRover said:

Realistically we are in the lowest league position in some of our lifetimes. We may be 2nd but we are 2nd in the 3rd division.

I do feel like a corner has been turned but purely because we have a genuine man as manager. He could go tomorrow, be sacked, resign or fall ill and then we will be back to relying on the Venkys/Cheston/Pasha to fill that role. Will they fill it with a man of integrity like Mowbray or will it be another whisper-in-the-ear job and a chancer like Coyle gets the gig? That's the frightening position we are in because of them and it's for this reason why it will only truly be a "new era" when they leave. Whilst they are still here there will always be a cloud on the horizon.

It obviously feels good to see the team winning right now and being in, with a fair chance of promotion. Of course the fact that we are currently lower in the overall pyramid, for almost 40 years, is the big issue. My big hope, is that we somehow have the same result as the last time, we were promoted from the third tier, with Howard Kendal as manager and went might close to achieving back to back promotions.

The debt is the big worry, as this has to end somewhere. It may be false hope, but the Championship is now full of teams, paying huge fees for players, that in a lot of cases are not worth the money. Just looking at the Hanley, Rhodes, and Duffy fees, form a Rovers point of view and seeing how even since these deals, how prices have risen, perhaps means the value of the debt, in footballing terms is diluted. To clarify that, if the £4m being muted as offered for Dack is correct and we have turned it down, then perhaps he is worth double that. Not that I want to sell him, but if we have players of that calibre going for that sort of money, then a promotion, could mean the value of the squad, may well start to draw closer to the debt to the owners.

My real wish, is for venkys to sell up if we are promoted, realising that the won't get their money back and also that the club will be worth more as a Championship club, than it currently is. Again Factor the player values in and just cut their losses.

1 hour ago, OxSouthernRover said:

The clubs position doesn't improve until the owners sod off, Its as simple as that for me.

The elephants in the room will always be Balaji and his debt, until both are banished we will continue to struggle.

All that said, as I thought, league 1 wouldn't be such a bad thing, the fans would get some belief back and have a bit of fun in the process, so enjoy the run, it won't last forever. 

13 minutes ago, ChickenBolty said:

Wow the negativity within this forum is becoming beyond a joke. I bet you're a barrel of laughs in the pub on a weekend. 

You should’ve been here for the last 7 years, the forum in the past 12 months has been more palatable than ever before.

1 hour ago, lraC said:

It obviously feels good to see the team winning right now and being in, with a fair chance of promotion. Of course the fact that we are currently lower in the overall pyramid, for almost 40 years, is the big issue. My big hope, is that we somehow have the same result as the last time, we were promoted from the third tier, with Howard Kendal as manager and went might close to achieving back to back promotions.

The debt is the big worry, as this has to end somewhere. It may be false hope, but the Championship is now full of teams, paying huge fees for players, that in a lot of cases are not worth the money. Just looking at the Hanley, Rhodes, and Duffy fees, form a Rovers point of view and seeing how even since these deals, how prices have risen, perhaps means the value of the debt, in footballing terms is diluted. To clarify that, if the £4m being muted as offered for Dack is correct and we have turned it down, then perhaps he is worth double that. Not that I want to sell him, but if we have players of that calibre going for that sort of money, then a promotion, could mean the value of the squad, may well start to draw closer to the debt to the owners.

My real wish, is for venkys to sell up if we are promoted, realising that the won't get their money back and also that the club will be worth more as a Championship club, than it currently is. Again Factor the player values in and just cut their losses.

I reckon the only way they would sell is if we got promoted to the Premiership again. Maybe. As you say though, the debt has to end somewhere....

At best we will get promotion to the championship were we will float around midtable, the goal will be avoid relegation. WE will keep signing the odd lge1 champ player with a couple of loanee's. The owners will keep cutting the corners until something goes bang.

The ONLY way we will get promotion to the prem is Venkys sell up and we get a huge injection of cash from a new owner, in the mean time this is about as good as it will get and thats not being pessimistic its being real.

As much as its nice to enjoy this 'achievement' as i said before its all hollow victories. 

ITs really sad to see fans being 'happy' were we are considering the damage that these crooks have done over the last 7 yrs.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I reckon the only way they would sell is if we got promoted to the Premiership again. Maybe. As you say though, the debt has to end somewhere....

No chance will they sell up when they have a payday of 90+million to siphon 

I wouldn't call it a new era just some unavoidable effort at running it like a football club again not a fried chicken franchise. Unavoidable before the whole thing finally went bang, i'll reserve judgement for a good while yet but at last there are some green shoots poking through.

Yes we could get in the PL and even do well there, but under the current regime it is highly unlikely. Well run clubs usually do better than badly run clubs so I very much doubt whether we can do much even if we go up this year but you never know.

Personally I would prioritise getting rid of the owners above anything that happens on the pitch.

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The reality is we could get back to the Premiership and have a better season that we had since winning it and some fans still wouldn't forgive. Personally, I think life is too short to be so bitter, but maybe that's just me. 

I think the owners were stupid more than bad, but the next season or two will really be defining of their reign. No more room for excuses and playing dumb. 

I will never forgive the Chicken Farmers as without them we'd be sat in the premier league and a very rich club at that with the amount of money that's in it these days. More fool the Walker Trust, they didn't want too put anymore money into the club and sold to the first set of numpties who offered them anything. If they'd have kept hold of us for a few years longer they'd currently be even more wealthy and would be owners of a very rich team in the biggest league in the world. Tossers. Don't get me wrong, this season has been brilliant. Been too a few away games which have all been class and I've very much enjoyed going to games for the first time since the Venkys took over. League one or not we should enjoy this season and that winning feeling again. This season has been enjoyable purely on the football side of it may I add, my thoughts on Venkys will never change and the words "Venkys" and "Forgive" should never ever be used in the same sentence. #VenkysOut 

4 hours ago, Biz said:

You should’ve been here for the last 7 years, the forum in the past 12 months has been more palatable than ever before.

The reason i have banned myself from contributing for years.  Always reading and shaking my head. Its been a horrific few years. Enjoying things at the moment

Ehh, if we get promoted, I'll likely treat with more of a 'nod of the head' than an outright cheer (metaphorically... I'll obviously cheer in real life haha).

Venky's have sanctioned a significant amount of spending by League 1 standards (which I'm... appreciative of? happy with? relieved by? Hard to find the right word for a group that's done so much wrong) but what happens in the Championship will be a more interesting statement of intent, as that's where the money being spent gets silly again if you want to compete for promotion (with occasional exceptions).

Archived