BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Lowe

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

It's funny how many people on here and at Ewood insisted Lowe was a scapegoat whose best qualities were overlooked by the cynics, and that we'd only realise what we'd had once our lynchpin had departed and shown his worth at another club. There were even people on here insisting he'd end up in the Premier League!

Meanwhile the reality is he attracted little interest as a free agent, ended up at Birmingham on a one-year deal, and despite being in serious relegation trouble Birmingham have no use for him and want to terminate his already short contract having barely used him due to a lack of talent and inability to stay fit.

I saw it posted often that Rovers managers were obviously picking Lowe because they saw something in him,  and anybody who thought otherwise was ignorant and/or stupid.

Well, then we can expect Appleton to recommend him to Puel at Leicester, Lambert to be interested in bringing him to Stoke, Bowyer to make every possible effort to bring him in at Blackpool and Coyle to move heaven and earth to lure this young prodigy to Scotland. If Lowe was being picked on merit the entire time he was here then we should face some pretty stiff competition for his signature from former managers now in positions elsewhere... right?

When you hear about a player who's captaining England at youth level you think this guy must be a bit special. First time I saw Lowe play in the flesh I came away shaking my head. I couldn't see what he brought to the party. His passing game was unimaginative and unambitious. His close control was less than average. His lack of stature told against in challenging when the ball was in the air. He seemed to be drawn to the ball too many times when he should have stayed with his man. Then he was easily bypassed. When he did put a tackle in he was only averagely effective. Absolutely no " X " factor at all.

I was reminded of the Bally Hoo regarding Marlon Broomes. The way he was built up in the press and by people at the club I was expecting the next Bobby Moore. What I saw was a really average player with none of the requirements of a top class centre back.

• Moderation Lead

Is there actually anything in this rumour? Or is it just some gimp on Twitter who wants some attention adding 2 and 2 and making 5 because he used to play here?

• Backroom
18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When you hear about a player who's captaining England at youth level you think this guy must be a bit special. First time I saw Lowe play in the flesh I came away shaking my head. I couldn't see what he brought to the party. His passing game was unimaginative and unambitious. His close control was less than average. His lack of stature told against in challenging when the ball was in the air. He seemed to be drawn to the ball too many times when he should have stayed with his man. Then he was easily bypassed. When he did put a tackle in he was only averagely effective. Absolutely no " X " factor at all.

I was reminded of the Bally Hoo regarding Marlon Broomes. The way he was built up in the press and by people at the club I was expecting the next Bobby Moore. What I saw was a really average player with none of the requirements of a top class centre back.

When you actually look at that England U21 team it was nothing special and flopped massively in the 2013 Euro Championships...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jun/12/england-under-21-stuart-pearce

Edit: JHC this quotation system is the worst. I'm just going to use plain text.

"The players, so woeful throughout, also have to take their share of the blame. There is, however, a much bigger picture to address.

What we have seen in Israel highlights just how shallow the talent pool is in English football, which is not entirely surprising when the Premier League is so focused on commercial success, the clubs have little interest in the national team, managers are too worried about the next result to think about giving young players a chance, and there is a chronic shortage of highly qualified coaches."

"5. Did anyone in the England Under-21 squad come out of the finals with any credit?
Nathan Redmond, the Birmingham City winger who had never played at this level before, produced a few promising moments, and Andre Wisdom, whom Pearce believes should be England's Under-21 captain for the next two years, could not be faulted for his display against Israel. Otherwise it is hard to think of anyone who did themselves justice."

"Jason Steele, Declan Rudd, Clyne, Adam Smith, Steven Caulker, Craig Dawson, Tom Lees, Jordan Henderson, Jason Lowe, Danny Rose, Henri Lansbury, Nathan Delfouneso and Marvin Sordell are no longer eligible for the Under-21s. In truth, the majority of them are unlikely to ever pull on an English shirt again."

So, yeah, enough said on Lowe's U21 caps. He was part of a team generally considered a massive disappointment.

41 minutes ago, DE. said:

It's funny how many people on here and at Ewood insisted Lowe was a scapegoat whose best qualities were overlooked by the cynics, and that we'd only realise what we'd had once our lynchpin had departed and shown his worth at another club. There were even people on here insisting he'd end up in the Premier League!

Meanwhile the reality is he attracted little interest as a free agent, ended up at Birmingham on a one-year deal, and despite being in serious relegation trouble Birmingham have no use for him and want to terminate his already short contract having barely used him due to a lack of talent and inability to stay fit.

I saw it posted often that Rovers managers were obviously picking Lowe because they saw something in him,  and anybody who thought otherwise was ignorant and/or stupid.

Well, then we can expect Appleton to recommend him to Puel at Leicester, Lambert to be interested in bringing him to Stoke, Bowyer to make every possible effort to bring him in at Blackpool and Coyle to move heaven and earth to lure this young prodigy to Scotland. If Lowe was being picked on merit the entire time he was here then we should face some pretty stiff competition for his signature from former managers now in positions elsewhere... right?

Just pin this at the top of the thread then close it, everything is covered here.

I hope he finds a championship club and settles there for a few years, we've managed just fine without him and will continue to do so.

46 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Is there actually anything in this rumour? Or is it just some gimp on Twitter who wants some attention adding 2 and 2 and making 5 because he used to play here?

I’m guessing it’s someone local to Bayes, because he’s not a “gimp on Twitter” he’s a decent radio presenter and not normally someone who’d parade ITK

If he doesn’t end up here I think he will end up at Blackpool with Bowyer or elsewhere. I don’t think he’ll have to go as far as Henley to get a contract though...(when his Brum one finishes)

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

If he doesn’t end up here I think he will end up at Blackpool with Bowyer or elsewhere. I don’t think he’ll have to go as far as Henley to get a contract though...(when his Brum one finishes)

True, there are plenty of League 2 and non-League clubs around.

• Moderation Lead
33 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’m guessing it’s someone local to Bayes, because he’s not a “gimp on Twitter” he’s a decent radio presenter and not normally someone who’d parade ITK

I've no Twitter mate, hence the speculation. I genuinely didn't know what the origin of the story was, hence my query!

1 hour ago, DE. said:

When you actually look at that England U21 team it was nothing special and flopped massively in the 2013 Euro Championships...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jun/12/england-under-21-stuart-pearce

Edit: JHC this quotation system is the worst. I'm just going to use plain text.

"The players, so woeful throughout, also have to take their share of the blame. There is, however, a much bigger picture to address.

What we have seen in Israel highlights just how shallow the talent pool is in English football, which is not entirely surprising when the Premier League is so focused on commercial success, the clubs have little interest in the national team, managers are too worried about the next result to think about giving young players a chance, and there is a chronic shortage of highly qualified coaches."

"5. Did anyone in the England Under-21 squad come out of the finals with any credit?
Nathan Redmond, the Birmingham City winger who had never played at this level before, produced a few promising moments, and Andre Wisdom, whom Pearce believes should be England's Under-21 captain for the next two years, could not be faulted for his display against Israel. Otherwise it is hard to think of anyone who did themselves justice."

"Jason Steele, Declan Rudd, Clyne, Adam Smith, Steven Caulker, Craig Dawson, Tom Lees, Jordan Henderson, Jason Lowe, Danny Rose, Henri Lansbury, Nathan Delfouneso and Marvin Sordell are no longer eligible for the Under-21s. In truth, the majority of them are unlikely to ever pull on an English shirt again."

So, yeah, enough said on Lowe's U21 caps. He was part of a team generally considered a massive disappointment.

Ah context. How we miss that at times.

Ignoring Lowe for a minute, we dont even need a centre mid now. A few weeka ago maybe, but with smallwood and bennett looking great. Whittingham, evans, leinihan either back or very close.

Just isnt a need to add a 6th.

The fact all the previous Rovers managers are not touching him even on a free says it all ... How he managed a long career at Rovers is beyond belief... I first came across him at Brockhall on a Saturday morning many years ago Very Average .....Deffentally NO ! 

Archived