BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Lowe

6 hours ago, DE. said:

It's funny how many people on here and at Ewood insisted Lowe was a scapegoat whose best qualities were overlooked by the cynics, and that we'd only realise what we'd had once our lynchpin had departed and shown his worth at another club. There were even people on here insisting he'd end up in the Premier League!

Meanwhile the reality is he attracted little interest as a free agent, ended up at Birmingham on a one-year deal, and despite being in serious relegation trouble Birmingham have no use for him and want to terminate his already short contract having barely used him due to a lack of talent and inability to stay fit.

I saw it posted often that Rovers managers were obviously picking Lowe because they saw something in him,  and anybody who thought otherwise was ignorant and/or stupid.

Well, then we can expect Appleton to recommend him to Puel at Leicester, Lambert to be interested in bringing him to Stoke, Bowyer to make every possible effort to bring him in at Blackpool and Coyle to move heaven and earth to lure this young prodigy to Scotland. If Lowe was being picked on merit the entire time he was here then we should face some pretty stiff competition for his signature from former managers now in positions elsewhere... right?

Let's not allow a good story to get in the way of the facts should we.

Lowe left here at the end of last season and went on a pre-season tour with West Brom, Pullis didn't fancy him.

He then signed for Bruce at Brum and got badly injured in his first few games, then Bruce was sacked.

So not exactly the way you told it DE :rolleyes:

If Mowbray wants him here then he'll bring him back, matters not one bit what me or anyone else thinks, but until that happens you should all calm down, take a few deep breaths.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Lowe left here at the end of last season and went on a pre-season tour with West Brom, Pullis didn't fancy him.

He then signed for Bruce at Brum and got badly injured in his first few games, then Bruce was sacked.

If Mowbray wants him here then he'll bring him back, matters not one bit what me or anyone else thinks, but until that happens you should all calm down, take a few deep breaths.

So bad was he and so desperate are one of the Championships worst performing clubs to get rid of him, he's been/being paid off!

Says a lot about a player when club wants rid that badly, and (as pointed out above) not one ex-rovers manager wants him. Even Bowyer ;)

33 minutes ago, Gav said:

Was he not on trial at Bolton too? The very notion of such an experienced player having to have trials tells me all about how distinctly average Lowe was. And was it not Redknapp who gave him a deal at Birmingham before he was sacked?

I can only hope someone tells Mowbray how there was a palpable "groan" around the ground when Lowe was named in the side pre-match, how there was not even a half-hearted "Yayy" when his name was read out amongst the others as the team took to the pitch and how there was the inevitable "boll*cks!" when he screwed up an attack - I know, I shouted it

Just now, Atomicrover said:

I can only hope someone tells Mowbray how there was a palpable "groan" around the ground when Lowe was named in the side pre-match, how there was not even a half-hearted "Yayy" when his name was read out amongst the others as the team took to the pitch and how there was the inevitable "boll*cks!" when he screwed up an attack - I know, I shouted it

Towards the end, his name on the team sheet put a downer on the match before a ball had been kicked.

26 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Was he not on trial at Bolton too? The very notion of such an experienced player having to have trials tells me all about how distinctly average Lowe was. And was it not Redknapp who gave him a deal at Birmingham before he was sacked?

Plenty of players go on trial first, we've had plenty,  but yes you're right, I did actually mean 'Arry' not Bruce.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

So bad was he and so desperate are one of the Championships worst performing clubs to get rid of him, he's been/being paid off!

Says a lot about a player when club wants rid that badly, and (as pointed out above) not one ex-rovers manager wants him. Even Bowyer ;)

If it makes you feel better :tu:

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Towards the end, his name on the team sheet put a downer on the match before a ball had been kicked.

Spot on! How can anyone who's seen him play ("play" - the word sticks in my throat) for us even contemplate allowing him to return, I wouldn't take him if he offered to come for free, even that way he would still be taking up the place of someone who actually had talent.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Funny how Gav keeps ignoring that part of the "story" :huh:

• Backroom

Nothing I said was untrue, though. Even the injury you mention I referenced in "inability to stay fit". It was a common problem with him here, too. Even if his talent wasn't in question his fitness record certainly has to be. He's had some pretty serious problems staying injury free over the past few years and even if you put his talent or lack thereof to the side I don't feel we should be taking the risk of paying him a weekly wage to find out if he can stay fit for longer then a couple of weeks. 

Truth be told it's really sad how it turned out for our brightest young prospects. When we beat Utd 3-2 at the end of 2011 the team included Lowe, Hanley and Henley. Who would have thought just six years later Lowe would be struggling to find any club to take him, Hanley would be playing for Championship mid table Norwich after failing at Newcastle and Henley would be so far off anybody's radar that after six months of being unable to find a club he had to go out to the States to find a club interested in signing him.

We're talking three players here who were international prospects. Hanley and Henley both have full caps for Scotland and Wales, Lowe was part of a disappointing England U21 team, but he was there nonetheless. These kids all had potential, no question about that, but ultimately it's two careers that have been utterly ruined by Venky's and one which has been severely stunted. Just another part of their toxic legacy.

44 minutes ago, Gav said:

Plenty of players go on trial first, we've had plenty,  but yes you're right, I did actually mean 'Arry' not Bruce.

I recall Samba and Nelsen as successful trialists but in all honesty nobody had heard of them prior to coming here. There was Songo, Koita and another French lad who were crap but got contracts. The fact that Lowe didn't get past first base at two or three clubs is another telling truism. 

The bottom line is would he improve the squad we have. It's a resounding no from me but if Mowbray believes he would then he will take him.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Lol average...he wishes he was average, he wishes he could see average from how far down he is.

2 hours ago, funny-old-game said:

No, found guilty of impersonating a professional footballer.

I presume he was sentenced to 6 months, to be served in Brum?

A travesty considering Rovers are 7.5 years into an indefinite custodial sentence.

Archived