BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Attendances

damo100

I will keep watching for entrance for a £5 for the Peterborough game.

That will be the litmus test of whether they want to rebuild attendances. As I have explained there is no financial downside to offering a deal on that game. Posh can have a decent following (population of 200,000) so a £5 offer could easily double the away gate as well.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it may not influence Ewood attendance but it’s all about supporting the team. 

We are back on the road with three heading to Doncaster and two for MK Dons. 

On 11/03/2018 at 04:18, gumboots said:

But that was their choice and in those days possibilities for entertainment were more limited. There was a time not long ago when I would organise my years diary round Rovers fixtures. I would fill in the lot as soon as they were announced and nothing got in the way of my attending. But then the kids I used to take grew up, went to Uni, left the area . I still attended, often on my own because my husband had other commitments. Then I stopped buying a season ticket after I retired because the pattern of my years changed. I was no longer definitely here at Christmas, when I might go to visit family, or at the start of season, when I could be on holiday and stay away a few days longer for less cash. I no longer found a season ticket the money saving deal it had been previously.

I still intended to attend. But without the commitment of a season ticket it was easy to think "Yes I could attend ......." instead of thinking "I can't go because there's a Rovers match on" and 2 years on I still haven't been to a match. I don't rule out the possibility of attending matches again in future whatever league we find ourselves in, but the feeling of having to be at Ewood is gone. 

In my case, it's not the cost that decides whether I go or not. It's looking at what the people I share my life with want to do. It's looking at what else I've been invited to do. Obviously were the cost to rise significantly then it would make a difference but not atm. However, for some it will. Whilst suddenly offering very cheap tickets through to the end of the season would annoy some season ticket holders,  and understandably so, choosing some games to put on offer at very low prices might just entice people in for a final push. It wouldn't bring me back; my diary is filled with other things that, oddly enough do not include jetting off round the world but are much more mundane, like visiting family who don't live in the area, but it could bring in some who genuinely can't afford the £25 that's been charged recently. 

There are other entertainments that don't cost that much and people will choose them if their budget is limited. At one time football was the affordable entertainment for ordinary people, but not now. And stupid things put people off, like the new road layout around Ewood, the closure of some of the car parks, being informed that they can't sit in their chosen area of the ground, because people have high expectations. Growing Rovers support back up is not a simple matter. This season has shown that you can at least arrest a decline in numbers attending but to start getting people back into the ground, either first timers or previous attendees will require a lot of hard work and some tough decisions.

So basically, despite all the waffle, there is absolutely nothing stopping you coming to the games, and you could come to Ewood but choose not to because you would rather do other things on a match day/night.

I also recall that when things on the pitch weren't going so well your non attendance appeared to be more based on opposition to the owners, you constantly encouraged others to follow your lead in not attending and appeared to take great delight in boasting about whatever other obscure activity you had found to do on a Saturday afternoon rather than attend Ewood.

All that of course is entirely your prerogative. However is it too much to hope it's your last word on whether you will be gracing us with your presence at Ewood at any point in the future? If you want to go, go. If not don't. It really is that simple.

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Not sure why do you need to be so rude? If you don't like a post, just stop reading.

I think Gumboots' post confirms research and reveals the dangers of disengaging supporters. Often, they don't come back!

I didn't think my post was rude in the slightest. If people think it was then I apologise. However I don't bore people by constantly rattling on at length about the reasons why I DO attend so I'm not sure why gumboots assumes her own personal moral dilemma over whether to  attend is of any interest to anyone.

Re: non attendance, John Williams was quite clear in his view, when people drop off on the whole they tend never to come back because they find other things to do with their time. That would appear to have happened to gumboots and good luck to her.

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Not sure why do you need to be so rude? If you don't like a post, just stop reading.

I think Gumboots' post confirms research and reveals the dangers of disengaging supporters. Often, they don't come back!

I'd say just off the top of my head that if you get 2 people out of 10 to come back out of those who been staying away you're doing really well.

My rugby team had been in a downward spiral for a year or four and guys had started to drift away. All of a sudden we appointed a new coach, spent a bit of money on a couple of top players, brought through a few more really good kids and we were flying again. We'd won an unheard of club record 17 games on the bounce playing some awesome rugby at this point.

One night around this time I bumped into a guy at the bar of my local  that I knew had been a regular at the rugby but had drifted away. . I said " I haven't seen you up at the games lately. "  He replied " I'll come up when they start playing well ! "

It's not often I'm lost for words but I was then.

On 12/03/2018 at 11:37, Mattyblue said:

Southend now on sale... Cat B

That’s £25-27 in the JW Upper.

Would have been a prime match for a cheap ticket game, but it looks as if the club will let this promotion run pass by without trying to re-engage with the wider fan base at all, crazy.

To be fair you've quoted the prices in the most expensive part of the ground. (JW upper) It's £20 - £22 just about everywhere else and you can get a further £2 discount on tickets if you've paid £5 for an 1875 membership.

I don't think £18 - £20 is that bad really. Plus is there some sort of cheap bundle of 4-6 matches already in effect? I have it in the back of my mind I've seen something but I don't pay that much attention to any ongoing offers with having a season ticket.

Finally, in devil's advocate mode, does it not make better business sense to give out cheaper tickets for run of the mill games rather than the business end of a promotion run in at which point supporters should be gagging to get down anyway?

I picked the Jack Walker because it’s the ‘Grandstand’ and it fills up more than any other stand when we have a decent gate.

The bundle was £100 for 6 matches (£130 in the JW) , not ‘cheap’ In my opinion.

Bolton did a couple of £5 matches in the run in last season and had 22,000 home fans turn up, you reckon we’ll have anywhere near that amount ‘gagging to get down’ to Ewood at £20-£27 a ticket?

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I picked the Jack Walker because it’s the ‘Grandstand’ and it fills up more than any other stand when we have a decent gate.

Bolton did a couple of £5 matches in the run in last season and had 22,000 home fans turn up, you reckon we’ll have anywhere near that amount ‘gagging to get down’ to Ewood at £20-£27 a ticket?

How many home games are left? 4?

With us having a real chance of securing the title I don't really think price for the remaining games is a major factor in keeping people away. I wouldn"t be completely averse to £5 tickets for one of the remaining games but then you're going to possibly  **** off season ticket holders and almost certainly anyone who invested in the "bundle".

I doubt many ST holders would have an issue with an offer, most I know love seeing a full Ewood - who remembers when we did it for Huddersfield in 2001 and 29,000 turned up?

However, you’re right, the bundle is the reason I think we won’t see a cheap game now. A real missed opportunity.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I doubt many ST holders would have an issue with an offer, most I know love seeing a full Ewood - who remembers when we did it for Huddersfield in 2001 and 29,000 turned up?

However, you’re right, the bundle is the reason I think we won’t see a cheap game now. A real missed opportunity.

I'm not sure I agree. Without going into the maths in detail to ensure the price advantage of having a ST is maintained i think I'd have made "the bundle" a lot cheaper though. I'd have thought the idea was to entice people and get them used to going to Ewood again on a reasonably regular basis rather than have people turn up strictly as a one off simply because it's a fiver.

My ST works out at around £13 a game, match day tickets in the BBEnd are usually around £22-25, a couple of cheap ticket matches still make a ST a big saving on buying game by game.

There are the type of fans that like a season ticket/half season ticket and those that are floating fans, who pick a match when they fancy it.

So, you should try and entice them both, the former have been attracted by competitively priced ST’s etc, I would wager most of  the latter aren’t interested in 6 match bundles at £100-130 in one go.

Around 17,000 empty seats every week, why not try and fill them anyway you can?

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not sure I agree. Without going into the maths in detail to ensure the price advantage of having a ST is maintained i think I'd have made "the bundle" a lot cheaper though. I'd have thought the idea was to entice people and get them used to going to Ewood again on a reasonably regular basis rather than have people turn up strictly as a one off simply because it's a fiver.

The problem is, and I know you don't want to hear this, that people's "diaries" will have filled up. At this stage of the season you can't necessarily expect people not to have arranged something else for dates when Rovers are playing. Therefore the uptake for a six game package, even very reasonably priced, will be limited. Whilst offering odd games at a low price doesn't get people into the habit again, it does get some through the gates of the ground again. If they like what they see, and people assure me that I'd enjoy it more this season than previously if for no other reason than we are winning more often than not, they may then be more open to committing to a season ticket. At this stage I doubt it's just the relatively high price of the bundle; it's more likely that people, not expecting to go to Ewood, have agreed to other events, even if it's only being the one who takes your kids to that birthday party or whatever

Just now, gumboots said:

The problem is, and I know you don't want to hear this, that people's "diaries" will have filled up. At this stage of the season you can't necessarily expect people not to have arranged something else for dates when Rovers are playing. Therefore the uptake for a six game package, even very reasonably priced, will be limited. Whilst offering odd games at a low price doesn't get people into the habit again, it does get some through the gates of the ground again. If they like what they see, and people assure me that I'd enjoy it more this season than previously if for no other reason than we are winning more often than not, they may then be more open to committing to a season ticket. At this stage I doubt it's just the relatively high price of the bundle; it's more likely that people, not expecting to go to Ewood, have agreed to other events, even if it's only being the one who takes your kids to that birthday party or whatever

Good points, I'd never really thought of it like that. In reality everyone's free time is limited and going to football limits the time you can spend elsewhetr with friends or loved ones especially if you go to away games.

It's a balancing act and hopefully you can make it up elsewhere during the week!

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

How many home games are left? 4?

With us having a real chance of securing the title I don't really think price for the remaining games is a major factor in keeping people away. I wouldn"t be completely averse to £5 tickets for one of the remaining games but then you're going to possibly  **** off season ticket holders and almost certainly anyone who invested in the "bundle".

I think if we're promoted and winning the league long suffering season ticket holders would have to be fairly miserable people to be spending their time complaining about the club offering £5 tickets for one or two games.

I can only really speak for myself but if we're up by the time Oxford come to town and the club throw the doors open to all at £5 a head for a promotion party and we get 20,000 for a celebration I'll be delighted and congratulate the club on that. However I expect we'll be at £20+ a ticket and will get 15,000 on if lucky.

The comfort zone folk down at Ewood will be happy though.

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

If we had back to back promotions this season and next and returned to the Premier League I'd wager our home crowds would suddenly increase by 10,000. Plenty of those would be 'out of the habit' fans who would presumably clear their diaries for when Arsenal came to town.

Not having a go at anyone but this talk about people being out of the habit of it and it being difficult to entice them back - put out a top flight team and there'll be loads suddenly back, other events, diaries, prices wouldn't stop thousands more turning up on a Saturday.

A non ST holder who goes irregularly isn't going to give up a planned holiday or a family occasion just because Rovers make a ticket cheap. He might if it's just going to asda

For me it could be all remaining games for 50p and they can still shove it.

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

We should give the £5 ticket game a go once or twice just to get an idea of how many fans would turn up under those circumstances. I'd still be very surprised if we got 20k home fans on. Bolton managed it but they haven't had the owners we've had for what feels like  a lifetime. :( There's thousands of fans who no longer attend and I think it's been that long now a lot of those people will have fallen out of love with Rovers full stop. I think we might get to 18k home fans if their was a £5 ticket game in the end of season run in. I'd be pleasantly surprised if more than that turned up. 

3 hours ago, gumboots said:

We used to go to both home and away games as a family so it was never a problem. Now all my kids live at least 40 miles away and can't get back for games because of work commitments, and my husband doesn't want to attend.

Neither you nor anyone else need to justify themselves if they have genuine difficulties in getting to Ewood for whatever reason. If you actually want to go and the reason you can't is hubby won't take you, you have my sympathy. Perhaps you should remind him who wears the trousers in your house! ;)

On a serious note if that is what's stopping you hopefully you can find someone to go with to the occasional game in future when circumstances allow.

I've been to Ewood plenty of times on my own when I had a season ticket and my husband couldn't attend but I knew people around me and felt comfortable in that situation. Now my stand has closed, many of the other people i know who used to attend no longer do so, and I'd feel more awkward going alone. Watching football is a social habit, a shared experience, at least in part. 

I know socially 50+ people who used to go to Rovers on a regular basis. That’s down to 9 today. I doubt any of the missing would turn out for £5 or 5p. They probably wouldn’t even be aware of the promotion.

Those fans are gone until we return to the PL and I doubt many would go on a regular basis then.

As an ST holder I don’t care how much we charge everyone else. I’ve paid a fair price for good seats. 20,000 home fans on for a match this season? No chance - much as I would love to see it happen. 

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd say just off the top of my head that if you get 2 people out of 10 to come back out of those who been staying away you're doing really well.

My rugby team had been in a downward spiral for a year or four and guys had started to drift away. All of a sudden we appointed a new coach, spent a bit of money on a couple of top players, brought through a few more really good kids and we were flying again. We'd won an unheard of club record 17 games on the bounce playing some awesome rugby at this point.

One night around this time I bumped into a guy at the bar of my local  that I knew had been a regular at the rugby but had drifted away. . I said " I haven't seen you up at the games lately. "  He replied " I'll come up when they start playing well ! "

It's not often I'm lost for words but I was then.

This is a serious problem for the club. Disengage and disrespect supporters(customers yuck!) at your peril! Once the habit is broken etc.

It happened here after the 1960 debacle and it took nigh on 30 years to rectify, as the club lost generations of fans.

When I stayed away, it "killed" me, as I still kicked every ball, listening to the radio etc.... but even I got out of the habit, as I became available for other activities.

It will take a really, engaging PR strategy, honesty and, of course, success on the field to nurture a club that was made in Lancashire to be destroyed in India...( not forgetting Barnet, Geneva, Glasgow etc)

I know we were once preparing to sit the Oxbridge exams, but , strangely, I am still managing to enjoy being top of the year 7 woodwork class!

It was a mile outside of Mumbai,

When the devil met Madame Desai.

He had firelighters and matches in his hand.

He said, "See what I got.

My, this will be hot!

We're Blackburn Rovers, did you think we forgot?" (To a current tune)

Never forget the damage these lot and their associates have done to the club and fanbase regardless of if it's cost them money, something they seemed to have scant regard for anyway because most of the Russian roulette was played with media and transfer income and losses are probably offset against tax from huge profits elsewhere in their massive portfolio..

Despite the good times now and long may they continue they've literally set the club back 30 years and it took things of epic proportions by Jack and co to build it into what it was when Venkys & business partners took over.  It's likely that we are set to be a very modest sized club again for a long while in regular crowd terms.

Indeed tomphil, for a club of a limited fanbase, with the town of Blackburn itself ever changing demographically, losing not far off 50% of attending fans in one summer was a massive blow, especially when you consider we are in the most competitive region in the country for football clubs.

Archived