BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Attendances

damo100

27 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I've always said that I don't attend but wouldn't call myself a boycotter per se.  There are some who began boycotting under Kean and have firmly stuck to it. They deserve a great deal of respect. I've been back and forth and various circumstances and events have changed my mind at times through Venkys tenure. I suspect there are many like me. We don't rule out a return at some point in the future but can't say what would trigger our return. I did tentatively suggest that if we're at home for the Oxford game we might attend but my husband says that's hypocritical and I get his point. The longer you stay away the harder it is to go back and I suspect that's one of the reasons the crowd may not be as high as some of those on here hope. You don't want to be seen as jumping on a promotion bandwagon if we are indeed promoted. You don't want to appear to only want to come back when we're playing at a higher level (I didn't stop attending when we were relegated but the season before) It's a dilemma for all those who have chosen not to attend for whatever reason and for however long. 

I understand that. I was mulling over the prospect of what would make me forgive the venkys. I try to be realistic with it. People make mistakes. After all their only human ( I think ) . However how they have handled those errors and treated the fans is unforgivable. They fund the club yet the club needs funding due to their incompetence. If they back the club in the summer and continue to make good managerial appointments and invest in players whilst attempting to retain the likes of dack then continue in the same vein the season after I would have to consider the possibility they have learned from their mistakes and are trying to do what's best for rovers. That said the mistakes in the past are so bad I will always doubt there true intentions and motives. If we ever got back to the premier league then I suppose I would have to start forgiving in the way a husband forgives his wife after several affairs. That is all in theory of course. The reality right now is after 8 diasaterous years we have had a good ten months down to one man and that's mowbray. I want to believe they have the best intentions and where badly advised but my heart won't let me believe they aren't at best spoilt rich kids with no idea what they are doing to worst case scenario seriously corrupt. 8 year's on and no one can second guess them. It's going to be a long few years where it's best they stay away and prove by actions they want what is best  for OUR club and after proving they are here for the right reasons and honouring Jack's legacy, then and only then they should come out of the woodwork and make a public and grovelling apology and maybe, just maybe we could never forget but start to forgive. I suppose time can heal but time will also tell. 

I still go home and away despite venkys and understand people , honest people, like yourself for your stance.  I will add if you want to be at Oxford and enjoy the celebrations then go . You deserve to enjoy the success for years of loyal support before they put you in this predicament. Go and go with your head held high

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The Oxford game is about acknowledging the Team and Manager and enjoying the occasion...who gives a rat's arse what anyone else thinks or perceives.

Get those tickets Gumboots.

Currently in France and have no access to diary so no clue as to whether we're free or not. Back this week and will have a serious look. Daughter and son have got tickets for Donny away, and daughter was there on Thursday with an old school friend.  We were listening to 5 live and watching the highlights the next day had me smiling in a way I haven't smiled in a while. Perhaps I'm falling in love with Rovers again? 

4 hours ago, gumboots said:

Currently in France and have no access to diary so no clue as to whether we're free or not. Back this week and will have a serious look. Daughter and son have got tickets for Donny away, and daughter was there on Thursday with an old school friend.  We were listening to 5 live and watching the highlights the next day had me smiling in a way I haven't smiled in a while. Perhaps I'm falling in love with Rovers again? 

Is your daughter back with the BBC Gumboots?

4 hours ago, gumboots said:

I've always said that I don't attend but wouldn't call myself a boycotter per se.  There are some who began boycotting under Kean and have firmly stuck to it. They deserve a great deal of respect. I've been back and forth and various circumstances and events have changed my mind at times through Venkys tenure. I suspect there are many like me. We don't rule out a return at some point in the future but can't say what would trigger our return. I did tentatively suggest that if we're at home for the Oxford game we might attend but my husband says that's hypocritical and I get his point. The longer you stay away the harder it is to go back and I suspect that's one of the reasons the crowd may not be as high as some of those on here hope. You don't want to be seen as jumping on a promotion bandwagon if we are indeed promoted. You don't want to appear to only want to come back when we're playing at a higher level (I didn't stop attending when we were relegated but the season before) It's a dilemma for all those who have chosen not to attend for whatever reason and for however long. 

Kean went long since but you know that. Coyle (my personal and ultimate bone of contention) is long gone too.

Why continue to 'cut your nose to spite your face'? (don't knock me for asking, I mean no ill will, I just don't get it)

I've been able to take in most of this season live since Christmas, home and away and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I get but don't get the 'stay aways', WE ARE The Rovers, after all.

If truth be told I suspect a lot of people had a friend they dragged along to games. If they don’t attend crowds drop. In the past I have brought along 3 or 4 mates from Manchester, that would be difficult now. However the volume of home support has increase substantially this season, last season crowds often were barely 10k including away fans. On Thursday we had 11.3k home on , in a league lower. 

The championship is like premier league 2 from next year and I’m glad we’re going to be involved.

10 hours ago, gumboots said:

I regard gumboots as a Rover rather than a football fan. It’s the football fans who to a large extent we are missing  Those who enjoy watching Rovers, are happy to attend Ewood but don’t, to my mind, hold the same deep attachment many of us do. As I said previously I feel we are only missing 2-3000 Rovers at most. A promotion party against Oxford won’t bring back the football fans  I don’t know anyone who is going and most I know live no further away than Chorley  Hardly a major expedition  

Like gumboots I’ve retired and while I expected change in my life have been surprised by the extent of that change. Life though for me does still include Rovers. You have previously cited those changes as a reason for not buying STs. I get that. I have wondered what impact not buying an ST would have on my attendance but not buying one has never been a question. With a now much reduced income I think I would question shelling out £30-35, or whatever it is, for the odd game.

Reading what you say above I’d be surprised if you ever return. I’m not critical of that but disappointed. If you can’t come to Ewood to celebrate our promotion and success after seven miserable years for fear of being considered hypocritical I wonder what would bring you back? Surely it would be even harder if next year it’s back to the PL? That would be astonishing.

I hadn’t thought of this before. If this or similar feelings are widespread it emphasises further the mountain the club has to climb.

A shame, another example of what Venkys have done to us. 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

I regard gumboots as a Rover rather than a football fan. It’s the football fans who to a large extent we are missing  Those who enjoy watching Rovers, are happy to attend Ewood but don’t, to my mind, hold the same deep attachment many of us do. As I said previously I feel we are only missing 2-3000 Rovers at most. A promotion party against Oxford won’t bring back the football fans  I don’t know anyone who is going and most I know live no further away than Chorley  Hardly a major expedition  

Like gumboots I’ve retired and while I expected change in my life have been surprised by the extent of that change. Life though for me does still include Rovers. You have previously cited those changes as a reason to buy STs. I get that. I have wondered what impact not buying an ST would have on my attendance but not buying one has never been a question.

Reading what you say above I’d be surprised if you ever return. I’m not critical of that but disappointed. If you can’t come to Ewood to celebrate our promotion and success after seven miserable years for fear of being considered hypocritical I wonder what would bring you back? Surely it would be even harder if next year it’s back to the PL. That would be astonishing.

I hadn’t thought of this before. If this or similar is a widespread feeling it emphasises even more the mountain the club has to claim.

You're both right and wrong IMO Paul. It may have been on Venkys watch but our fall from grace was coming before they took the reigns. Their cohorts were catalysts in precipitating matters undoubtedly but let's not kid ourselves.

Gumboots, You and others who think similarly to you, would be welcomed back to Ewood with open arms, don't think differently.

Yeh, one or two may politely rib you but surely you're bigger and better  than that?  don't cut your nose to spite your face and join the party.

WE ARE The Rovers!!

Just now, darrenrover said:

Gumboots, You and others who think similarly to you, would be welcomed back to Ewood with open arms, don't think differently.

Exactly.Attending is your prerogative Gumboots but don't be put off by false perceptions...all Rovers fans are wanted back.

The Oxford game will be a celebration of the Team and Manager NOT Venkys.

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Exactly.Attending is your prerogative Gumboots but don't be put off by false perceptions...all Rovers fans are wanted back.

The Oxford game will be a celebration of the Team and Manager NOT Venkys.

Even though I can't be there! :(

9 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

You're both right and wrong IMO Paul. It may have been on Venkys watch but our fall from grace was coming before they took the reigns. Their cohorts were catalysts in precipitating matters undoubtedly but let's not kid ourselves.

Yeh, one or two may politely rib you but surely you're bigger and better  than that?  don't cut your nose to spite your face and join the party.

WE ARE The Rovers!!

Exactly. 

5 hours ago, AshleyClifford said:

If truth be told I suspect a lot of people had a friend they dragged along to games. If they don’t attend crowds drop. In the past I have brought along 3 or 4 mates from Manchester, that would be difficult now. However the volume of home support has increase substantially this season, last season crowds often were barely 10k including away fans. On Thursday we had 11.3k home on , in a league lower. 

The championship is like premier league 2 from next year and I’m glad we’re going to be involved.

Exactly. I banged on about this early season stressing our early return was very important. The gulf in class and cash between Championship and L1 is going to widen dramatically and quickly.

To anyone able to go but still in any doubt just go to the Oxford game. Nobody in their right mind will criticise.

I can't get back for it, not too well at the minute, so will follow from here as best I can but I know that about 10 family members are meeting up for this game and for most it's their first game of the season, for a couple the first ever. They are travelling in from all over the British Isles for it lucky beggars.

COYB :rover:

By the end of this season I’ll have been to 17 away games (spending a kings ransom, days off work, etc) but 0 home games. 

I decided that the venkys will not get my money (such as £350 is to them in reality). I am disgusted by the venkys and tried chanting venkys out, tried ignoring them, tried convincing myself I’m there supporting the team not the club but ultimately decided I couldn’t sit there handing my money over knowing what they’d done.

I will be unwavering in this until they leave and with age on my side I’m sure I’ll be back. Same can’t be said for the old man who made the same decision albeit earlier than me. Man U, lpool, dingles, even Barcelona could rock up and I won’t change my mind. 

I don’t even feel like I’m cutting off my nose to spite my face as I’ve not missed home games in the slightest, even now. But I do feel bad that this squad who have reengaged the club to some degree with the fans deserve a decent send off at home vs Oxford. 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

. With a now much reduced income I think I would question shelling out £30-35, or whatever it is, for the odd game.

Reading what you say above I’d be surprised if you ever return. I’m not critical of that but disappointed. If you can’t come to Ewood to celebrate our promotion and success after seven miserable years for fear of being considered hypocritical I wonder what would bring you back? Surely it would be even harder if next year it’s back to the PL? That would be astonishing.

I hadn’t thought of this before. If this or similar feelings are widespread it emphasises further the mountain the club has to climb.

Thing is, I really atm wouldn't be around for as many games as the cost of a season ticket, so, although individual match day costs would be high, it would make more sense to simply buy individual tickets on days when I'm available. It's not that I fear anyone else thinking I'm a hypocrite, more that my husband felt that we would feel hypocritical ourselves as we haven't been part of the effort to get the team over the line and yet would want to be part of the return celebrations. As you say, it would be harder still to return if e got a second promotion in the next few years - that really would look like total plastic fans! ? 

Diary will need to be consulted on return, and I'll be there if possible. 

20 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

22K :lol:

with both upper tiers closed, directors box closed, 8000 boycotters and surcharge tax to deter any walk ons

keep dreaming fella

You coming to the last game of the season? 

The subcharge is after 3pm for 5.30pm. surely that's wont deter anyone as you can order your tickets before the game and now. I bought 6 extra tickets for the game for family members and friends 

are all 8k that's haven't attend boycotters or have other reasons why they don't attend?

15 hours ago, BiggusMickus said:

8,000 boycotters? :lol::lol: No chance.

8,000 fans missing, sure, but probably no more than 1,000 truly boycotting, at the very most..

agreed. 

some people went missing cos of the manager at the time and lost of Premier League football

The surcharge is bloody stupid, end of.

I was queuing up at the match day ticket office prior to the Southend game for my Charlton ticket.

I overheard the folk behind me talking about how they ‘can’t work out the online system/passwords’ etc. 

Some people buy on the day, always have done, they make a late decision as they may have other commitments, so to penalise such folk just seems very strange - especially for the Oxford game in which a Jack Walker ticket suddenly jumps from £10 to £27 two and a half hours before KO,  what a way to put off those that make a late decision to go.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You coming to the last game of the season? 

The subcharge is after 3pm for 5.30pm. surely that's wont deter anyone as you can order your tickets before the game and now. I bought 6 extra tickets for the game for family members and friends 

are all 8k that's haven't attend boycotters or have other reasons why they don't attend?

agreed. 

some people went missing cos of the manager at the time and lost of Premier League football

There was definitely going too be a slight drop if we ever dropped out of the premier league, but the manner in which we did and the poison surrounding the club the owners and manager at the time meant many didn't renew. I feel as though although we have a lot of people who are boycotting and who would supposedly return when Venkys go, there is a large group of people who have simply found something better to do with their Saturdays, those people probably check our results and how we are doing but the manner of which we went down was enough to put some off for a long time! I do feel those fans could still come back in the future whether the chicken farmers stay or go, this season has undoubtedly been our best in a long time and it's been a very enjoyable one, a good start to life in the championship next season and we may see a few gradually start to come back. The last few years I have hated going to Ewood and I do a few away games every season which I was losing patience with due to the toxic atmospheres and poor performances to boot. I'm really glad that I've enjoyed watching my team again this year home AND away, and I'm sure if some of those who have fell out of love with the club would have been going this season they'd have definitely rediscovered their passion for Rovers. I don't begrudge anyone for boycotting or simply staying away because they've fell out of love with the club but I guess it's frustrating knowing that the more fans we have in Ewood the better the atmosphere etc and also it's frustrating knowing fellow Rovers fans are missing out on watching a side playing for the shirt under a manager who is a real credit to the club. Hopefully this season is the start of somewhat repairing the ill feeling us as supporters have had towards Rovers in the last few years and we start to see Ewood gradually fill up a tad more. I must say though,  when I say ill feeling towards Rovers I don't include Venkys in that. There's no way on earth I could ever forgive them for what they've done to my club and if they were crazy enough to attend the Oxford game (which they won't because they probably don't even know we are playing) I'd happily join in hounding them back out the country never mind Ewood. It's best for all that they stay silent and out of sight. COYB #VenkysOutAlways

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Thing is, I really atm wouldn't be around for as many games as the cost of a season ticket, so, although individual match day costs would be high, it would make more sense to simply buy individual tickets on days when I'm available. It's not that I fear anyone else thinking I'm a hypocrite, more that my husband felt that we would feel hypocritical ourselves as we haven't been part of the effort to get the team over the line and yet would want to be part of the return celebrations. As you say, it would be harder still to return if e got a second promotion in the next few years - that really would look like total plastic fans! ? 

Diary will need to be consulted on return, and I'll be there if possible. 

Please buy a ticket for Oxford, Gumboots.

Yes, some folks have put in the hard yards this last couple of years but only on the basis of being the proverbial night watchman. Keeping things ticking over in the short term.

When we say “we want our Rovers back” this has never and can never be about PL football alone. IMHO it means that old friends and familiar faces (ideally with smiles on them) are back at Ewood focussing in nothing but what’s happening on the green stuff. It’s entirely understandable if other things have filled the Saturday afternoon void but if Rovers fans don’t feel they can come back, for whatever reason, then it really has been for naught.

Personally I hope all of those who have lost their will in recent times can stop by for one game - hopefully for a celebration.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I'm surprised Dunny was passed fit for that game. His legs seem to have become detached from the rest of him.

What you on about? He was regularly getting picked after his legs had gone. ;) 

Of course, a few sell outs too, so the average could have been even higher.

Just a shame it won’t be replicated next season, as to see a re-invigorated Rovers away support has been fantastic.

Reasons - no new grounds for a start and in all likelyhood we won’t be going for promotion. Though, the main reason - a load of clubs charging between £30-£40 a ticket. 

At £16-£24 like we’ve seen this season, plenty will go for it, however large numbers of Rovers fans just ain’t paying £35+ for second division football - and you can’t blame them!

Now they're saying there will be 2954 'packed in' to the away end at Charlton on Saturday, even though they clearly said our allocation was 3030 and that we'd sold out. So either 70odd have been returned and not taken up by others or some tickets seem to have disappeared somewhere.

37 minutes ago, arbitro said:

This is an interesting article on our away followings. The only ones under 1,000 were at Portsmouth, Wimbledon, Gillingham and Scunthorpe. Terrific effort by everyone and suitably rewarded on Tuesday night with promotion.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/april/rovers-on-the-road/

Rovers also say there that Oxford away was 700 odd on, I thought there were more than that but it was another fairly long midweek trip.

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Now they're saying there will be 2954 'packed in' to the away end at Charlton on Saturday, even though they clearly said our allocation was 3030 and that we'd sold out. So either 70odd have been returned and not taken up by others or some tickets seem to have disappeared somewhere.

Maybe the hospitality package hasn't gone too well for the greedy Cockney gits.

Archived