BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall at home 30.1.18

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

We're playing another team thats presumably going to come here park the bus and hope to nick one. With Mulgrews injury and our problems out wide i'd go:

Raya

Nyambe    Downing   Williams

Travis       Smallwood   Bennett       Bell

Dack

Graham     Armstrong

Bench: Leutwiler, Wharton, Caddis, Conway, Payne, Samuel, Nuttall

It gives you 2 strikers up front and Dack in 10 role. Bell and Travis would give you attacking threat wide. 

Need to be option or plan B before the season ends

Just now, Brainfreeze said:

Just out of interest, what is the club record for longest run of games unbeaten? Can't seem to find that info anywhere...

Parson will know, but from memory.. Don Mackay's 23 games in the late 80's- ending at Stoke.

I think Furphy had a 19 game unbeaten run with Field, Napier et al...and I think Kendall had one lasting 15 games, ending at Exeter

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Missing the point again, a change of system is not needed after a draw within a 17 unbeaten run playing 4-2-3-1. 

No I didnt miss the point..the point I and others are trying to make is playing 2 up front with Dack in 10 role would make us more attacking and give Graham more support. 

With the lack of wingers due to 2 being injured, Bennett looking better in centre mid and Conway out of form. Plus 2 strikers having to play there and not setting the place on fire playing there, plus struggle to sign a winger so far in transfer window maybe Mowbray should look towards towards playing 3-5-2 or 4-1-2-1-2. 

With Bell and Travis having played as wing backs this season a change to 3-5-2 could be made. 

Yes we are unbeaten in 17 games but in some games against lower league teams we struggled to break them down. Northampton twice, Plymouth at Ewood. 

I posted my team And formation but dropped Samuel and Conway for Payne and Armstrong. Stick to 4-2-3-1 but can see why some mention 3-5-2 to give us more attacking threat

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Missing the point again, a change of system is not needed after a draw within a 17 unbeaten run playing 4-2-3-1. 

As much as I agree with you normally. Something needs to be changed at home. THis is where we struggle and teams will know now how to frustrate us. Change it up, be on the front foot with an aggressive attacking style. 

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

As much as I agree with you normally. Something needs to be changed at home. THis is where we struggle and teams will know now how to frustrate us. Change it up, be on the front foot with an aggressive attacking style. 

I think its a bit of a myth this, see this from the Lancashire Telegraph:

With 28 games played, and 18 to go, Rovers have played 14 times in front of their own fans and the same number away from home.

The 1-1 draw means they have an identical record of eight wins, four draws and two defeats both home and away.

Their 14 home matches have brought with them 26 goals scored and 13 conceded, while away from Ewood they have scored one fewer and conceded the same number.

I do think we need a winger to stretch teams who sit in, but dependant on who we choose 4-2-3-1 can allow 4 attacking players.

For me, to make a random and drastic change of formation to on that requires alot of time on the training ground and thus would no doubt take time to bed in, when we are on a run of 17 unbeaten, would be a panic move based on a draw v Northampton. Yes we were poor attacking on Saturday but its only 1 game. 

4 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Parson will know, but from memory.. Don Mackay's 23 games in the late 80's- ending at Stoke.

I think Furphy had a 19 game unbeaten run with Field, Napier et al...and I think Kendall had one lasting 15 games, ending at Exeter

Sonewhat depressingly, neither Furphy’s nor Mackay’s unbeaten runs were enough to get us up

14 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Nothing wrong with your memory - Mackay's 23 games (1987-88) included eight draws and we missed out on second by a point.  Towards the end of that run we strung together seven consecutive wins but it wasn't enough.  Furphy's run in 1972-73 included seven draws and we finished two points away from second place and promotion.  I remember being at Meadow Lane on Easter Saturday when we were held 0-0 and County ultimately beat us to second place.  I seem to remember that Don Hutchins missed a "sitter" and Roger Jones produced one of the best saves I've ever seen.  Frightening to think it was forty-odd years ago!

38 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Nothing wrong with your memory - Mackay's 23 games (1987-88) included eight draws and we missed out on second by a point.  Towards the end of that run we strung together seven consecutive wins but it wasn't enough.  Furphy's run in 1972-73 included seven draws and we finished two points away from second place and promotion.  I remember being at Meadow Lane on Easter Saturday when we were held 0-0 and County ultimately beat us to second place.  I seem to remember that Don Hutchins missed a "sitter" and Roger Jones produced one of the best saves I've ever seen.  Frightening to think it was forty-odd years ago!

I recall that Roger Jones save too and the group I was with all said it was the best save they had ever seen. What a pity there is no footage of it.

40 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

If you wanted someone to miss a vital " sitter " Hutchins would be your man. One of quite a long list of ineffectual left wingers we've had over the years. Anybody ever see Brian Hill have a good game ?

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

That was my first ever away game.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I recall that Roger Jones save too and the group I was with all said it was the best save they had ever seen. What a pity there is no footage of it.

Same here Tony, I thought at the time it was the moment that would assure us of promotion. Huge Rovers following at the game, we had to park miles away and missed the kick off.

Did Sir Roger turn up to the 74-75 promotion reunion at Ewood? I could only recognize a couple of players plus Gordon Lee on the picture of it.

• Backroom

Looking forward to it, perfect time to get back to winning ways.

Otzumer is a danger though got to be cautious of conceding soft free kicks around the box.

As with most games it's in our own hands, we are capable of beating anyone in this league - including ourselves unfortunately!

Wonder what treat of a referee we will get tonight?

Edit - apparently it's Stephen Martin - that's who I was confusing Saturdays ref for, recall him having a stinker in a Newcastle Friday night game giving random penalties and red cards

Looks like he's gym buddies with our man from the weekend 

Cys2kYwXEAEO0hY.jpg

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

Looking forward to it, perfect time to get back to winning ways.

Otzumer is a danger though got to be cautious of conceding soft free kicks around the box.

As with most games it's in our own hands, we are capable of beating anyone in this league - including ourselves unfortunately!

Wonder what treat of a referee we will get tonight?

Edit - apparently it's Stephen Martin - that's who I was confusing Saturdays ref for, recall him having a stinker in a Newcastle Friday night game giving random penalties and red cards

Looks like he's gym buddies with our man from the weekend 

Cys2kYwXEAEO0hY.jpg

The refs down here have to be able to defend themselves!

Archived