BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall at home 30.1.18

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Same here Tony, I thought at the time it was the moment that would assure us of promotion. Huge Rovers following at the game, we had to park miles away and missed the kick off.

Did Sir Roger turn up to the 74-75 promotion reunion at Ewood? I could only recognize a couple of players plus Gordon Lee on the picture of it.

I don't know if he did turn up John. I came across him some time ago at Barnsley when he was Swindon's kit manager. There were some young Swindon players who weren't playing taking the piss out of him. I wasn't having that and tore a strip off them and told them if they end up half as good as him they will have a good career. In all honesty he looked embarrassed by my adulation as I regaled him and mentioned that save.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Looking forward to it, perfect time to get back to winning ways.

Otzumer is a danger though got to be cautious of conceding soft free kicks around the box.

As with most games it's in our own hands, we are capable of beating anyone in this league - including ourselves unfortunately!

Wonder what treat of a referee we will get tonight?

Edit - apparently it's Stephen Martin - that's who I was confusing Saturdays ref for, recall him having a stinker in a Newcastle Friday night game giving random penalties and red cards

Looks like he's gym buddies with our man from the weekend 

Cys2kYwXEAEO0hY.jpg

Another poseur who is more concerned about how he looks rather than how he referees. Like the guy on Saturday his obsession with bulking up affects his mobility.

1 minute ago, meadows said:

Les Bradd with the header for County, Parson, from memory - he was quite a thorn in our side for a time after that. 

I used to see him at Meadow Lane when I covered games while I lived in Nottingham for a couple of years along with a couple of that side who still knocked about - David McVay who wrote a very funny book, ‘Steak Diana Ross,’ about times under Jimmy Sirrell, Pedro Richards and Don Masson who had a bed and breakfast place in West Bridgford close to Meadow Lane

Don’t know how refs were looked after Arbitro but press facilities were first class at County. 

I also had the misfortune of commentating for the video when we got beat 4-1 there in 1991 with Jason Beckford playing - one of the all time top 10 worst performances of my time although I had a great view from a very windy gantry!  

The facilities and hospitality were both very good Jim. I had a decent relationship with Tony Cuthbert who was the secretary at the time so we used to have a post match drink with him in the bar upstairs (I think it was named after a former player).

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Nothing wrong with your memory - Mackay's 23 games (1987-88) included eight draws and we missed out on second by a point.  Towards the end of that run we strung together seven consecutive wins but it wasn't enough.  Furphy's run in 1972-73 included seven draws and we finished two points away from second place and promotion.  I remember being at Meadow Lane on Easter Saturday when we were held 0-0 and County ultimately beat us to second place.  I seem to remember that Don Hutchins missed a "sitter" and Roger Jones produced one of the best saves I've ever seen.  Frightening to think it was forty-odd years ago!

I was there too. That save at Notts County.!....As good as a similar one by Gordon Banks..from Pele(?)

57 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I was there too. That save at Notts County.!....As good as a similar one by Gordon Banks..from Pele(?)

Roger Jones was the keeper when I first started watching Rovers as a 7 year old. what a keeper he was and hard to believe he was plying his trade in the third division. He was great with is feet too, as I remember on more than one occasion he came out of his box and took players on. Sounds dodgy, but he was a natural.

Just now, lraC said:

Roger Jones was the keeper when I first started watching Rovers as a 7 year old. what a keeper he was and hard to believe he was plying his trade in the third division. He was great with is feet too, as I remember on more than one occasion he came out of his box and took players on. Sounds dodgy, but he was a natural.

When we got relegated, we seemed to have lost our cult heroes..Then came Sir Roger ...plus Field, McNamee, Price, Napier ans Stuart M. I loved that team!

5 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

We need to go out with a mentality to win and blow them away by half time tonight.

Nuttall and Graham up top please. 4-0 by half time.

If we struggle to perform tonight then we must blame the manager. 

Not buying all this fancy formation stuff I am reading above. We are at home against a crap side and allegedly pushing to win the league.

4-4-2 and get them fired up to go out and attack from the off.

If finishing the evening in second place, 1 point behind top isn't enough to inspire them then I don't know what is.

I'd move Samuel into the middle and pair him up with Nuttall to inject a bit of pace into the attack but other than that couldn't agree more. Good post.

We need to treat this match with the same importance as Shrewsbury and blow the opposition away with our intensity inside the opening twenty minutes or half an hour.

32 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd move Samuel into the middle and pair him up with Nuttall to inject a bit of pace into the attack but other than that couldn't agree more. Good post.

We need to treat this match with the same importance as Shrewsbury and blow the opposition away with our intensity inside the opening twenty minutes or half an hour.

I think Rotherham is the only other time we've really gone at the oppo from the off at home. I think Mogga normally reads them a story and gives them Horlicks before the game.

Funny joke about preferring Samuel to the in-form Graham. Good one!

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think Rotherham is the only other time we've really gone at the oppo from the off at home. I think Mogga normally reads them a story and gives them Horlicks before the game.

Funny joke about preferring Samuel to the in-form Graham. Good one!

Agree - if you wanted to inject pace you would throw Armstrong upfront alongside Graham. The latter has been in form so doesnt deserve dropping, Samuel has been a disappointment all season.

I’ve had eight emails from Rovers today for the bring a friend for a fiver thing..........

My son has asked to go to a night game for the first time in three years!!! I don’t know why he stopped night games and will only go on Saturdays but hey ho we must be doing well!!! Called me 11 times so far and his brother three. 

Hope they 

Just now, Paul said:

I’ve had eight emails from Rovers today for the bring a friend for a fiver thing..........

My son has asked to go to a night game for the first time in three years!!! I don’t know why he stopped night games and will only go on Saturdays but hey ho we must be doing well!!! Called me 11 times so far and his brother three. 

Hope we perform for him/them Paul!

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Looking forward to it, perfect time to get back to winning ways.

Otzumer is a danger though got to be cautious of conceding soft free kicks around the box.

As with most games it's in our own hands, we are capable of beating anyone in this league - including ourselves unfortunately!

Wonder what treat of a referee we will get tonight?

Edit - apparently it's Stephen Martin - that's who I was confusing Saturdays ref for, recall him having a stinker in a Newcastle Friday night game giving random penalties and red cards

Looks like he's gym buddies with our man from the weekend 

Cys2kYwXEAEO0hY.jpg

Steve Martin, well it’s either:

the Man with two Brains or The Jerk

I know which one we usually get

• Backroom

Raya

Nyambe Downing Williams Bell

Bennett (captain) Smallwood

Payne Armstrong 

Dack

Graham

Well we can't say he hasn't gone for it!

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Very attacking team

have to say feeling confident that we could run away with this one however I'm worried it could be one of those games where we create and create but with no end product then go and concede a cheap goal or two. 4-1 Graham 2, Dack, Payne

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Same here Tony, I thought at the time it was the moment that would assure us of promotion. Huge Rovers following at the game, we had to park miles away and missed the kick off.

I may well have been with you for that game John. I remember missing the start of the game and wasn’t it a night match?

Archived