BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Early leavers

damo100

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been going to Ewood since the early 1950s and it has always been the same. Maybe it wasn't as noticeable before all seater stadiums. I cannot understand it but it happens at every ground.

The Riverside seem to have closed the rear exit permanently. I think this is a dangerous thing to do and would urge the club to consider health and safety aspects of this annoying measure, especially now that the stand is getting fairly full.

If for some reason the whole stand had to be evacuated rapidly, we at the back would be in Dicky's Meadow.

1 hour ago, Jim Royle said:

Well, at least those that do leave early have actually bothered to turn up in the first place.

Er, so have the other thousands who manage to stay in their place and get their moneys worth and actually support the players for the last ten mins,

1 hour ago, bazza said:

I've been going to Ewood since the early 1950s and it has always been the same. Maybe it wasn't as noticeable before all seater stadiums. I cannot understand it but it happens at every ground.

The Riverside seem to have closed the rear exit permanently. I think this is a dangerous thing to do and would urge the club to consider health and safety aspects of this annoying measure, especially now that the stand is getting fairly full.

If for some reason the whole stand had to be evacuated rapidly, we at the back would be in Dicky's Meadow.

When the ground was redeveloped and the crowds shot up the BBE used to chant 'part time supporters' and 'where were you when we were shit' to the riverside exodus, and it was an exodus back then.

Then as the years went by it started happening in there :o

I would never leave a match early but I am guilty of something equally daft - I often miss the kick off! 

I either set off late or, if I have plenty of time and arrive early I am always tempted to get one more pint when I probably shouldn't. Usually results in a jog down Livesey Branch Road with two minutes until kick off.

I've missed a few goals due to this. I remember being 1 nil down to Wigan a few years ago and I missed Hesky's early goal. A few times I've been at the turnstile when Rovers have scored.

I remember once being 10 minutes late back in 84 or 85 - I used to get the bus from Whalley in those days - and I never thought to ask the score when I got in to Ewood. No scoreboard back then. After about 30 minutes the opposition scored, I think it was Grimsby, and nobody seemed too bothered. I finally plucked up the courage to ask the score to find out rovers were 2 - 1 up and I'd missed both our goals.

11 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

There's not even the excuse of beating the traffic anymore ??

Not until last Saturday!!! Took us an hour to get from Ewood to the lights at top of Moulden Brow!!!

Generally though it isn’t a problem. I can understand those using the club car parks wanting to get out as the car park gates are closed at FT until the crowd clears. We use the DE car park and have to wait until the away coaches have left - I find that very irritating. If we get promotion and the away crowd increases we will stop parking there.

The only times I’ve left early, perhaps 4-5, have been at total disgust in the performance. Overall we stay to the end whatever the score. 

I remember going with a pal to watch us play in a night match at Old Trafford in the 1960's. It was a coach from Rochdale full of Utd fans apart from me and my pal who was a City fan.

The coach driver got lost so we were still  queueing up at the turnstile when the match kicked off. After about 2 minutes past kick off time we heard a muffled roar like you get when somebody shoots just over the bar. A couple of minutes later, just as I'm going through the turnstile there was a huge roar that sounded like United had scored.

When I eventually got to the top of the terracing I asked a bloke " What's the score pal ? " He said " 1-1 ".

United were playing well at that time and we were under the cosh for most of the game. We were never really in it.  Eventually they scored another goal down the far end and with 5 minutes to go my pal said " Come on, let's go and see if we can find the coach ".

So we set off and found the coach easily , we were the first ones on. We'd been sat there about 10 minutes when the United fans started filing back onto the coach. One said to his pal " The jammy beggars , they were never in that game " .

So I said " What was the final score ? " The bloke said " 2-2" .

But what strikes me as being utterly ridiculous is having some people posting on this particular thread who don’t even go.

Id prefer that 20000 leave before the final whistle than be, er, absent.

PS: I’m not going tonight as I failed my fitness test.

2 hours ago, Jim Royle said:

But what strikes me as being utterly ridiculous is having some people posting on this particular thread who don’t even go.

Id prefer that 20000 leave before the final whistle than be, er, absent.

PS: I’m not going tonight as I failed my fitness test.

Ummm - i used to go. 21 years straight season ticket holder in fact. Wont be going again until this lot ship out.

18 minutes ago, damo100 said:

Jim, how would you know some people don't go on this thread?

Even if they didn't it doesn't alter their right to  an opinion. 

You're the only person whose posted in defence of early leavers ??

I did not post in their defence

for me if you’re looking for evils the bigger one is not to go

because certain posters have admitted they don’t go and yet feel entitled to rip into people who leave early n that don’t sit tight with me

• Backroom

Well I'll fess up and take the pelters. 

The earliest I've ever left a Rovers game is about the 65th min. :o

6-0 down at Old Trafford in one of Sam' last games. 

Tbf I was on a lads weekend with a mix of neutrals - Villa fan, Spurs fan, and a Utd - and it was them that suggested going. 

I think they didn't fancy spending another half hour watching a no contest, and there was pubs to be found and beers to be drunk - a plan I certainly wasn't averse to considering the circumstances. 

We were in the home end and my "pals" took great joy in announcing I was a Rovers fan as we walked out. Much to the amusement of the people around us. 

We were in the car heading away by time I heard Samba's consolation goal go in on radio. 

Set off after FT; get home 5:30 ish

Set off at 85 minutes; Get home at 5.

Its a decision taken because a loved one, who requires a carer, and a four hour shift ends at 5 if it starts at 1pm (as pre drinks/cards are integral to the day!!) I’m sure there are many who will have a similar scenario and I wouldn’t criticise anyone who decides to leave early if they want to. Your time and money is your concern!

The ultimate irony for me is seeing “boycotters” criticise early leavers. 

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

Its a decision taken because a loved one, who requires a carer, and a four hour shift ends at 5 if it starts at 1pm (as pre drinks/cards are integral to the day!!) I’m sure there are many who will have a similar scenario and I wouldn’t criticise anyone who decides to leave early if they want to. Your time and money is your concern!

Blimey if you leave on 85 minutes and are home for 5 you must live close by.

Just now, arbitro said:

Blimey if you leave on 85 minutes and are home for 5 you must live close by.

Got a pass for the nearest car park and no traffic, over tops to ossy - Normally 5 past when we get there. Leaving with everyone else used to take 30 mins to get out of Blackburn (traffic up to Roman road) but I gather it’s no where near as bad these days 

• Moderation Lead

I've only left early when we've been absolutely hideous and I want to get home and have my tea/catch the 5.30 match....

I totally get the legitimate reasons for leaving (i.e. Biz as I sit with him!!), but the traffic isn't even bad any more. I park on Infirmary Street for home matches and am always home for 5.30 without fail.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Where have i criticised anyone?

2 hours ago, Jim Royle said:

I did not post in their defence

for me if you’re looking for evils the bigger one is not to go

because certain posters have admitted they don’t go and yet feel entitled to rip into people who leave early n that don’t sit tight with me

Again - where is this 'ripping into people'?

21 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

There's not even the excuse of beating the traffic anymore ??

30 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Where have i criticised anyone?

See above, no need to be so paranoid 

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I've only left early when we've been absolutely hideous and I want to get home and have my tea/catch the 5.30 match....

I totally get the legitimate reasons for leaving (i.e. Biz as I sit with him!!), but the traffic isn't even bad any more. I park on Infirmary Street for home matches and am always home for 5.30 without fail.

I left the city promotion party in 2000 when the 4th went in, but I couldn't get out of the riverside.

On the way up to Park Lee 3 blokes passed me with table legs vowing teach those blue nose #@#£# 

Theother time was when utd won the league at ewood about 8 years ago ish??. I left with a minute to go as to not see them celebrating.

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:44, damo100 said:

Whilst sat in my seat in the BBE on Saturday, after Graham equalised I was hoping and praying we'd get a winner.

It looked like We could have in the following 5-10 mins or so.

I then noticed streams of fans leaving, I looked at the time left which was 6 minutes, I knew a fair chunk of injury time would be added, as 6 more minutes proved.

My point is, why do some supporters leave early like this, I know some would have valid reasons but not all.

You wait a week or 2 for a match at Ewood, pay a decent amount of money for the privilege then leave with over 10 mins to go?

I just can't get my head round this, feel free to give your own opinion on this, or maybe you yourself generally leave early, tell us why?

I think that one reason is that if you use one of the car parks adjacent to the ground the gates are open all the match but on the final whistle they are shut and cars are not allowed out until all the away coaches, including the team coach have left. If you don't get out before the whistle it can take up to 20 minutes before you are allowed to move. Then they all move at once and you are manoeuvring to get to the gate to get out. It's for safety reasons but a lot of folk just aren't prepared to wait. That's my theory anyway.

3 hours ago, Biz said:

Got a pass for the nearest car park and no traffic, over tops to ossy - Normally 5 past when we get there. Leaving with everyone else used to take 30 mins to get out of Blackburn (traffic up to Roman road) but I gather it’s no where near as bad these days 

He's right. It takes me at least that long every match and I can assure you that it still takes just as long today. I stay every match until the end and the stewards holding you back at the end no matter how small the gate is is VERY annoying and frustrating. At £10 a throw if I could walk further I would tell them to stick it.

EDIT I would add though that I do consider that anybody who does not attend forfeits the right to criticise anybody for leaving early.

Preciousness over messages that haven't happened to one side ? I knew a lad in my youth who left in a massive huff (with selhurst park pain still fresh in his memory) when Tommy Johnson scored the 2nd goal for Derby in the 92 play offs ?????

Archived