BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Plymouth Away - 3rd February 2018

Kamy100

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another tough match against a team who are big and physical and will probably view a draw as a good result. When they came to Ewood they were rock bottom and since then they have accumulated enough points to get around the mid table area. From reading reports they have acquired a lot of these points by playing ugly. We simply have to match this physicality and aggression and hope the referee is strong enough to clamp down on gamesmanship.

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Another tough match against a team who are big and physical and will probably view a draw as a good result. When they came to Ewood they were rock bottom and since then they have accumulated enough points to get around the mid table area. From reading reports they have acquired a lot of these points by playing ugly. We simply have to match this physicality and aggression and hope the referee is strong enough to clamp down on gamesmanship.

Be interesting to see what team Mowbray plays. The team that played against Walsall may dazzle them and get us into an early lead. Not sure thats the team we will see though.... I think Conway will come back in for one of Payne or Armstrong 

Apply the right attacking options from the off and have another go without being gung ho obviously but try and grab the game by the scruff there's goals in us home or away when we do that.  1200 tickets sold as of the other day so the fans deserve a performance so no dithering we are 2nd for a reason so let's prove why.

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Apply the right attacking options from the off and have another go without being gung ho obviously but try and grab the game by the scruff there's goals in us home or away when we do that.  1200 tickets sold as of the other day so the fans deserve a performance so no dithering we are 2nd for a reason so let's prove why.

If they are big lumps intent on playing aggressively, the front 4 from the Walsall game could run rings around them and draw a lot of fouls 

As improved as Plymouth's form has been in recent months it isn't as good as ours.

Strip it all back and they are a mid-table/bottom half side who were in League Two last season. We've a better squad and are on strong form at present so we SHOULD be going there confident of 3 points.

They should be the ones worrying about us, not the other way around. We do what we are capable of and we are better than them. If we don't play to our capabilities or continue to make defensive errors and we'll struggle no matter who the opposition.

The longer the unbeaten run goes on, the more determined the opposition will be to end it.

Likely to be playing a Cup Final motivated opponent every week now.

Worth pointing out two things- 

the last three goals conceded have come from opposition players who gambled to run into positions against our defence.

the last two full games have resulted in ZERO corners being conceded. Probably the best way of solving our weakness from corners!

As for Plymouth, the sort of game that decides promotion campaigns. I am with everyone who says set up the team to get at them from the off. Playing defensively is the surest way to ensure we won't get the clean sheet I suspect we might need to win this one. 

I would start the same team as last time and with the instructions to start fast. Maybe ask Dack drop into a midfield three when they have the ball. If they are big lumps at the back its not like we have many more physical players to come in and match them so may aswel play our most creative players. 

Teams will look at our attacking players and goals scored with fear, sitting back and playing cautiously will do nothing other than give the opposition confidence. 

30 minutes ago, philipl said:

The longer the unbeaten run goes on, the more determined the opposition will be to end it.

the last three goals conceded have come from opposition players who gambled to run into positions against our defence.

the last two full games have resulted in ZERO corners being conceded. Probably the best way of solving our weakness from corners!

As for Plymouth, the sort of game that decides promotion campaigns. I am with everyone who says set up the team to get at them from the off. Playing defensively is the surest way to ensure we won't get the clean sheet I suspect we might need to win this one. 

In fairness, we have been this to clubs since day 1. I would actually say we are in a better position now as teams know we aren't going to roll over, far from it in fact. 

41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If they are big lumps intent on playing aggressively, the front 4 from the Walsall game could run rings around them and draw a lot of fouls 

I can understand starting a bit tighter away from home it's worked quite well at times this season but if as expected his obsession with starting Conway comes straight back again he needs someone who can attack directly with pace on the break on the other flank from the off to balance it.

Starting Samuel there really makes it a dead end and if he wants to shore up both sides and just aim balls to Dack and Graham it should be someone else more suited to it imo although i'd leave Bennett in the middle.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I can understand starting a bit tighter away from home it's worked quite well at times this season but if as expected his obsession with starting Conway comes straight back again he needs someone who can attack directly with pace on the break on the other flank from the off to balance it.

Starting Samuel there really makes it a dead end and if he wants to shore up both sides and just aim balls to Dack and Graham it should be someone else more suited to it imo although i'd leave Bennett in the middle.

I would be inclined to bring Conway on for Payne, not Armstrong. Leave Payne on the bench as a direct option to replace Dack around the 60 min mark. Armstrong has more pace I think and was very unlucky not to score against Walsall 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would be inclined to bring Conway on for Payne, not Armstrong. Leave Payne on the bench as a direct option to replace Dack around the 60 min mark. Armstrong has more pace I think and was very unlucky not to score against Walsall 

Certainly had enough chances - which just the fact that he managed to create or be in the right places for those chances is very promising. Could have done better with a couple by all accounts but either the woodwork or some worldie saves from their keeper prevented him from being on the score sheet at least two or three times.

Armstrongs pace is such a threat. He is also a pest in the pressing game as he closes down so quickly.

He has to start most games now, he is definatley part of our strongest 11 imo. Even more so away from home when the other team attacks a bit more

1 hour ago, philipl said:

And the more spikey and attack minded the oppo the more space they may leave at the back which has tended to suit us and now we have more pace and firepower it needs using. We always seem to concede anyway with the cautious approach so I think we always should have the right guys on from the off to put pressure on the other end at all times.

Rightly pointed out about the corners though that has to be a big plus.

Surely Payne and Armstrong will both start now they have settled. They both deserve to.

-------------------------------Raya

Nyambe-----Downing----Williams------Bell

-----------------Bennett------Smallwood

-----Armstrong---------Dack-------------Payne

----------------------------Graham

Conway and Samuel to get a crack as the game wears on.

Subs : Leut, Caddis, Evans, Samuel, Conway, Travis, Nuttall.

Difficult game at a ground where we have a poor record  -  I wouldn't be surprised if the unbeaten run came to an end. Weather forecast is abysmal too, with snow and all manner of rubbish on the way. Long way to go to see the team get beaten. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Difficult game at a ground where we have a poor record  -  I wouldn't be surprised if the unbeaten run came to an end. Weather forecast is abysmal too, with snow and all manner of rubbish on the way. Long way to go to see the team get beaten. 

Agree.  I have the same feeling about this one that I always had travelling to Upton Park - that a loss was on the cards no matter what the form table might say.  Even in 74-75 we lost at Home Park - but more than made up for it a couple of weeks later with one of the greatest games I've ever seen at Ewood.  Hopefully, I'm travelling back celebrating a win or at worst a draw but history is solidly against us in this one.  Strange how some places are lucky - Middlesbrough sticks in the mind as a place where a good result was always likely - whilst others are the complete opposite.

45 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Agree.  I have the same feeling about this one that I always had travelling to Upton Park - that a loss was on the cards no matter what the form table might say.  Even in 74-75 we lost at Home Park - but more than made up for it a couple of weeks later with one of the greatest games I've ever seen at Ewood.  Hopefully, I'm travelling back celebrating a win or at worst a draw but history is solidly against us in this one.  Strange how some places are lucky - Middlesbrough sticks in the mind as a place where a good result was always likely - whilst others are the complete opposite.

I have similar feelings about the same grounds as you, Parson. But I have to keep telling myself bygones are merely bygones etc and current players have no connection with previous scenarios down there. 

The Home Park disaster of 1988 with Marker, Ardiles and the boiling hot showers etc happened on a big birthday for me. I think it was that day I realised Don's team was not going up!

However, I also remember a  glorious away weekend with 4000 Holes and Speedie's hat trick . I think Speedie got 5 goals past an aging Peter Shilton that year...Did he get both at Derby after Don had been sacked?

My team would be

Raya

Nyambe Downing Williams Bell 

Smallwood  Bennett

Conway            Dack       Armstrong

Graham

Subs:- Luetwiler Caddis Nuttall Travis Evans Payne Samuel

19 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

.Did he get both at Derby after Don had been sacked?

That was the night of the kids wasn't it.

Great night, great performance from some of our promising youngsters, traveled down expecting a drubbing..

TP's first game in charge. Wilcox scored the first, Speedie the second

32 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I have similar feelings about the same grounds as you, Parson. But I have to keep telling myself bygones are merely bygones etc and current players have no connection with previous scenarios down there. 

The Home Park disaster of 1988 with Marker, Ardiles and the boiling hot showers etc happened on a big birthday for me. I think it was that day I realised Don's team were not going up!

However, I also remember a  glorious away weekend with 4000 Holes and Speedie's hat trick . I think Speedie got 5 goals past an aging Peter Shilton that year...Did he get both at Derby after Don had been sacked?

Where did we stop for the night , was it Ivybridge?  I don't think that I am capable of downing as much beer now as we had that weekend. He got one at Derby, Wilcox got the other.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

When was the last time you smiled, Jim? 

Archived