BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Plymouth Away - 3rd February 2018

Kamy100

Many people hailed the transfer window as a success.  We are weak at the back and the creative impact players don't belong to us.  

Mulgrew is great but we all know he is one game away from a long lay off. We should have strengthened that position because there is every chance Lenihan will pick up another injury after such a lengthy lay off. 

Mulgrew should be the icing on Rovers cake - not the be all and end all.  Yet we struggle without him. 

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

It's funny to see the "usual intensity" line. I don't think we ever have a particularly high level of intensity, we're just bailed out often by the quality of Dack, Mulgrew and recently Graham. Today was much of the same in terms of performance from most of the players, but with no Mulgrew and Dack marked out of the game we had nothing to break them down. I thought that was why we brought in the likes of Payne, but apparently we just wanted him to sit on the bench and watch the likes of Conway, Evans and Samuel trundle around fruitlessly. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just people couldnt wait for us to lose so they can have a good old moan. 

No, we desperately need to get promoted and people are concerned it isn't going to happen based on the problems we evidently have.

7 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Hasta, whilst I accept Mulgrew is a big loss to the team, I don't think he's an answer to any defensive problems. Today was just another day at the office defensively for me, nothing to do with Mulgrew being absent, just same old, same old. I would however give the opposition a modicum of credit.

Our issue today was offensive, we were terrible in attack and wouldn't have scored if we'd carried on playing in the same way for a fortnight.

We were outdone by the opposition in every way today and until we can overcome that we'll never be better than third at best.

Full credit to Plymouth. They were bottom when they came to Ewood and stole a point and haven't looked back ever since. On paper this was always one of our tougher games.

All I'm saying is people thought we had adequate cover for Mulgrew. We don't. He's a big loss at both ends of the pitch. His distribution from the back into the midfield starts a lot of our attacks. I haven't seen it but is sounded like we kept misplacing passes from deep all game. Of course we can't say the defeat is solely because of Mulgrew being absent, but I worry results in his absence may back up that opinion.

Another trip to the south looming against Portsmouth. Hope there is more to shout about at that game than there was today. Feels like we are always capable of slipping up. Waiting for Shrewsbury and Wigan to slip up but doesn't seem to be coming. Difference is solid defence. If you don't concede you have a great chance of winning. Always struggle when we go behind. Chasing the game then 

Just now, frosty said:

No, we desperately need to get promoted and people are concerned it isn't going to happen based on the problems we evidently have.

I congratulate you on your diplomacy in replying to that post.

I was composing a response myself but it would have got me a ban so I did a TM and subbed out.

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Full credit to Plymouth. They were bottom when they came to Ewood and stole a point and haven't looked back ever since. On paper this was always one of our tougher games.

All I'm saying is people thought we had adequate cover for Mulgrew. We don't. He's a big loss at both ends of the pitch. His distribution from the back into the midfield starts a lot of our attacks. I haven't seen it but is sounded like we kept misplacing passes from deep all game. Of course we can't say the defeat is solely because of Mulgrew being absent, but I worry results in his absence may back up that opinion.

I maybe wrong here but Mulgrew get injured at a crucial time last season , came back for last 3 games ?

I reckon we'll get 3 points at home to Oldham next Saturday, but today's performance doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for our next trip to the south coast

at Fratton Park the following Tuesday.

BBC reporter said Wigan were very impressive today and should have scored more, they hit the woodwork twice too, Gills were on a  run of 4 wins

before today, I can see them having a decent season in the Championship next year, If, Rovers do manage to get promoted, I can only see another

relegation battle and we aren't very good at those under Venky's managers'

6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I agree, we should have signed a beast of a centre back in the window but didn't.

Plymouth today played very much like an away side and as at Ewood, we don't have any answers.

I found the substitutions bizarre in the extreme, Evans for Smallwood?, Nuttall and Samuel? Does anyone understand the logic attached to any of them?

I believe had Payne been introduced in a 3 with Dack and Armstrong sat behind Graham up top and Bennett pushing on with Bell and Nyambe pushing on also wide, with quick passing on the deck and to feet, we could have got something today.

We were rubbish however and I'm sorry but Mowbray is to blame.

7 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

All criticism of performance aside I think Plymouth worked very hard/ looked a very organised side. Just 7 points of the play offs for them. I wouldn't fancy playing them again.

There centre backs today looked exactly what we are lacking.

Love that!

It's up there with.."Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?"

31 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

No they are not ......

Shrewsbury are not  Man City and even they couldnt beat Burnley earlier !

A long way to go and many twists and turns , to be had ...

It's an uphill battle now. Shrewsbury barely concede a goal and have a habit of winning. Not looking good for automatic spots after today. 

He got the team selection wrong, his subs all wrong and his tactics all wrong.

Conway is well past it, his legs have gone and when he plays hes going to incur criticism that is unfair based on his service here, starting him over Payne is a sign of cowardice by the manager, attempting to play it safe.

In the last few months, Dack and Graham have been the only 2 players going forward that have had an impact. Graham going off at half time made no sense at all, sounds like the whole team was poor, so to take one of only 2 who have been a goal threat to bring on Samuel, an absolute dolloper who for 500k has the lovely mix of a lack of ability and often a lack of application then to play him centrally then wide is crazy.

The midfield has been shamefully poor in its contribution going forward. Smallwood you can let off as hes the holding midfielder. Bennett on the other hand, yes hes been very good a couple of times at home lately in central midfield, but perhaps at times his all action style in there has covered his glaring weaknesses. Throughout the season hes mainly played wide, hes not scored, hes been sent off twice for petulance and his supply to the forwards has been really poor, considering his performances at the end of last season hes been a massive disappointment for me, he needs to start chipping in to justify his selection.

We need the wide men to really step up, Dack and Grahams places should be cemented in the near future, partially due to lack of competition.

Armstrong must have had 20 chances easily already, you cant afford to be so wasteful. You can tell hes not a winger either, why we didnt sign one makes no sense and makes us desperate to get Chapman back. Payne deserves to be a starter, hes proven this season that he contributes with goals and assists, although hes not a natural winger he was excellent on Tuesday. Payne, Dack, Graham and one more whilst Chapman is out, I'd probably go Antonsson who for all his limitations he does have an element of efficiency in scoring from the wing.

Downings form has massively dipped these last few months, now with Williams next to him (who is proving @chaddyrovers wrong in that he is not good enough at centre back) rather than Mulgrew dragging him through games hes all over the shop. Lets hope Mulgrew and Lenihan play the remaining 16 games together, by far our best 2. Raya needs to cut out the rushes of blood to the head, had another one today apparently but thats a worry.

Have to say, two thirds of the season gone, overall, Mowbray is slightly underperforming. Would anyone have taken third, two points behind Shrewsbury (and their vastly inferior budget and squad that nearly went down last season) having played a game more? And well off Wigan. Crucially its not a lost cause but for all the praise around the unbeaten run, overall, the league doesnt lie. Need to perform better in these last 16 than we have in the opening 30 to get top 2.

Unpopular opinion it seems (somehow??) but i personally can't wait until Whittingham is back. Literally only player capable of passing the ball forwards/finding Dacks feet. No surprises that our 6 game win-streak came with him on the pitch. It also rids us of Bennett, rubbish winger and somehow a worse CM. Working hard only gets you so far.

5 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Love that!

It's up there with.."Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?"

Well there's got to be some criticism we lost. Dack far too deep. Graham too isolated up front on own. Conway great coming forward but right side of pitch exposed at times as didn't track back enough. Felt Nyambe made great moves but one or two too many passes instead of surging into box or taking shot. He could be a real handful with a bit more self belief.Armstrong and Bennett ( aside from first 10 minutes) largely inaffective.

A bad day indeed all round.

Bottom line is we set the standard against Shrewsbury and played them off the Park...we know what this side is capable of.Today's result and by all accounts performance was not acceptable.

We need automatic promotion Tony Mowbray,there can be little excuse for not meeting minimum requirements.

Oldham better be braced for a hammering next week,Rovers fans are expectant....

58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Obviously I don't think it is acceptable. Saying that beating them was pointless makes no sense though. They just keep picking up results,when I think some of us don't expect them too. 

We were behind them and not in control.

How does it not make sense. Beating them put us in the driving seat.

We are now behind them and not in control.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Unpopular opinion it seems (somehow??) but i personally can't wait until Whittingham is back. Literally only player capable of passing the ball forwards/finding Dacks feet. No surprises that our 6 game win-streak came with him on the pitch. It also rids us of Bennett, rubbish winger and somehow a worse CM. Working hard only gets you so far.

Correct though I’d want to find a way to keep Bennet in there as well. 

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Bloody hell SG, I thought that back in October when we trecked to Boundary Park and look what happened then.

Sadly, we're not good enough IMO but could scab it through the play off lottery.

5 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

It's an uphill battle now. Shrewsbury barely concede a goal and have a habit of winning. Not looking good for automatic spots after today. 

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

A bad day indeed all round.

Bottom line is ee set the standard against Shrewsbury and played them off the Park...we know what this side is capable of.Today's result and by all accounts performance was not acceptable.

We need automatic promotion Tony Mowbray,there can be little excuse.

I can't take the play-off. Home, away or at Spurs.

Archived